1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I really need string guides? :/

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GoodSoundAround, Jul 10, 2012.

1. GoodSoundAround

GoodSoundAround TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

Assembling a telecaster with a Warmoth neck and Schaller tuning heads,

Do I really need strings guides for this thing? -Not a big issue if I don't
    For future reference, how will it affect the guitar if I don't equip them?

Cheers!

~GoodSound

Keep on rocking on!

2. radical9

radical9 TDPRI Member

There aren't string guides on the first four strings because the angle between the thing (can't remember the name! but the thing at the top of the fretboard :s ) and the tuning head is pretty high. on the last two strings, because the heads are further away, there is a lower angle. hence there is less force keeping the string to that thing (the same thing i still can't remember the name of!). so... if there isn't much force keeping the string on the thing, it could rattle?

That's how i've always thought it worked... but i'm probably wrong anyway!

3. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

The string retainer is primarily there on the upper strings to present enough of an angle at the nut to prevent rattling. You could get by without the string retainer by adding more wraps around the tuning post or by using staggered tuners or by using an angled headstock.

4. GoodSoundAround

GoodSoundAround TDPRI Member

Thanks a ton for the help so far. All tele's I have seen only have one installed. Would this be a beneficial or even compatible upgrade?

[​IMG]

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

First off try it with no guides. If strings are not sitar-ing or jumping out of their nut slots, you're fine.

If you need a string guide (or two - some Teles did have two!) then is the time to choose between vintage and modern.

6. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

I bought two string trees when I was putting my parts Tele together and thought I'd see if they were needed. I'm still treeless over a year later. No 'sitar', though I do wind a couple more than usual turns perhaps. There's pics under my name if you wish to look at it.

Kristina

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Those will work and so will the "butterfly" or round "button" string retainers. Different models or vintages used all three over the years. They're inexpensive and it's not much of a problem to install them so you may just as well do it. With a pair you can retain the E, B, G and D strings.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the string angle aft of the nut (towards the tuners) is critical and if incorrect will cause buzzing and intonation issues. almost all fender style headstocks that use non-staggered post height tuners require at least the e/b string guide, and careful downward winding of the d/g strings (the g string is most critical if no d/g string guide is used). some staggered post tuners will still require at least the e/b string guide. depends on the tuner type, post length, tuner hole locations, height distance between the face of the peghead and the nut. there's more to this than just mentioned, with regards to tuner type.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.