1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I Really Need Another Electric? If So, What?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ShortintheSleeve, Dec 26, 2020.

1. ezrydr

ezrydr Tele-Meister

mispost

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. ezrydr

ezrydr Tele-Meister

ShortintheSleeve likes this.
  3. SDFD18

SDFD18 TDPRI Member

Totally agree! Get a semi hollow body.
    I picked up a Washburn Hb35 and switched out the entire electronics, from pickup selector to potentiometers. I put a Seymour Duncan ‘59 in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge.

Everybody needs this combo!

4. garimh

garimh TDPRI Member

I was in same position. Have a really nice Tele that I've been using for years and play in a band of similar style. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money so decided to try an Epiphone 335 Pro. I haven't had a chance to play out with it yet but it's been my go to guitar for playing at home for months now and I really do love it. I haven't ever played an actual Gibson 335 but plan to and perhaps upgrade at some point. As for band, other guitarist plays acoustic so the different sound of the 335 to the Tele could come in handy. The other guitar that I've got my eye on is a 12 string Danelectro. Can't really justify cost of a 12 string Ric!

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

20200505_183343.jpg

6. Fred Duffer

Fred Duffer TDPRI Member

I played a PRS McCarty back in the day. Our singer played a Strat... I bought a USA LP Special from Guitar Center (!) as a backup/slide setup guitar. Besides getting lucky with getting a good guitar from Guitar Center, it quickly became an easy choice for a lot of our materiel, original and cover. You can't go wrong with a Special/Junior.

7. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

A humbucker guitar with coil splitting push/pulls. Its gonna sound different through your Vox than his Les Paul through his amp. The coil splitting gives the guitar a lot of versatility for tone.

Anything with different pickups other than your Tele setup. Single coils, P-90s, mini-Humbeucker, filtertrons, low-output humbuckers, high output humbuckers... I have a guitar with each, and some are repeats but sound different because evey guitar has different tones.

Lots of bands have 2 guitars and they use the same model. Some bands have 3 guitar players... Lynyrd Skynyrd developed that way here in Jacksonville partly by the culture here. Its been my experience living in northeast Florida that live jam sessions might be few and far between (if you can even find decent musicians here), so by the time you can find a P.A., a drummer, a bass player, and others to jam you end up with a guitar army of 3 or 4 guys all wanting to jam.

8. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

Get a 24-fret 7-strung guitar. It will extend your playing range without compromising on what you already have.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

How about this:

The Reverend Double Agent.

Best of both worlds... P90 in the neck and a Humbucker in the bridge.

(Someone could shed a guitar or two with that set-up.)

And, there's options with a vibrato.

I believe that they have them with maple or rosewood boards.

I have not played one, but I'm going to soon.

10. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

Hey Rickie! I have one of those LP Signatures too...Gold like yours. Fun guitar!

11. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

The two things that matter are your ability to play the guitar and your amp. Everything else is just embellishments. Learn to play cleanly and in a definitive way first; worry about everything else in order of what is important to you. I used to go on a gig with
    two 'nut-busters (Les Pauls), a rat and a Vibro reverb. That was all I needed. The extra Paul was a back-up.

12. Broadcasted

Broadcasted TDPRI Member

Don't think anyone has yet mentioned this but here goes...a JAGUAR!!!....not just any JAG either....get a Johnny Marr Jaguar....I use this guitar as my main with my band and get a diverse palette of tones....it has a four way switch to put the two pickups together either in series or parallel (the in series gives me some heavy humbucking sounds)....I use a preamp/EQ to shape out some of the jangle but I find the stock Bare Knuckle Pickups it comes with (which I prefer) slightly darker to "traditional" Jaguar pickups.....I read someone earlier say that the Jazzmaster was what the Strat wanted to be but I've always likened the Jaguar more to the Strat and Jazzmaster to Tele sounds...I have times where I don't gel with Strats either....kinda moody like that....but the JAG just sounds right to me in the "strat-Like" flavor of tone....I definitely prefer the ergonomics too of offset guitars......Good Luck on your HUNT!!!!

13. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I played a Tele for many years as my main guitar. I had a Strat and I did play it as a backup but, as time went on the Strat started making it's way into more and more of my playing, now it's the main workhorse and, probably gets 90percent of all playing time. It is just so versatile and comfortable to play. I'm older so I play mostly seated, I do own a lot of guitars but the Strat is #1. 3499.jpeg 3499.jpeg

14. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Oh wow! I no longer have mine, it was the Epi reissue certain.. And yours?

15. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

First off, full disclosure, I am an unredeemable GASaholic. Over the years I have lost count of the guitars I have bought and sold. The number is well north of 50 I'm sure, and I've never had fewer than 20 on hand in the last few years. Lost money on every sale as well.

Nobody needs more than one guitar, except for maybe a backup should it break down unexpectedly. I had an EMG equiped Strat just die at a rehearsal, no sound at at all. Thankfully it didn't happen during a show...

That said, you obviously want to get another axe (as we all do here!), so ask yourself what is the Tele lacking, and go from there.....

16. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

You must acquire all of the guitars, then decide.

17. Spontaneous

Spontaneous Tele-Meister

Epi LP Jr. with one P90, cheap and if you find the right one it's a keeper, all the great sounds of a more expensive guitar.

18. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Since the other guitarist leans toward thicker tones, I have to side with those recommending Danelectro, Rickenbacker, or Gretsch (w/Filtertron pups). That said, there's always room for another guitar!

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  19. musicmand

musicmand TDPRI Member

I'd look into a baritone, and the one I'm currently looking at is a Danelectro '56 reissue. The bright lipstick pickups complement the darker tone you get from the heavier strings, and it gets you into some really cool sonic territory, from spaghetti westerns to just different voicings than your other guitarist. Then, of course, if you break a string on the Tele and need to limp through the rest of the set on the Dano, just throw a capo on the fifth fret and it turns into a regular guitar. On the aesthetic side, it doesn't read "metal" like a lot of baritone guitars do, which is always a plus.

20. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

Don't know for sure but I am primarily a Tele player but I've owned almost every other type of guitar: Gibson LP, 335, 339, LpSpecials, Juniors, Gretsch hollow, Duo Jet. Got rid of them all. If I buy another elec., it will be a RIC 660.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.