Do I really need a tuner pedal?

Minimalist518

Tele-Afflicted
I would say "YES!!!" A tuner with a mute. Just this weekend, I was at an outdoor gig. A guitar player in another band had to tune up: he grabbed a clip and proceeded to tune...with his volume up!!! Dang, it was annoying. On this forum, I can't use the words that I would normally

Employing the mute also spares the audience from the loud "chk-THUNK!" and "bzzzt-CHUNK!" if you switch guitars.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
There was also a time when you couldn’t have discussions about tuners, or any other gear for that matter, on an internet forum, but isn’t your musical life better for the electronic assistance? I guess I don’t understand the resistance to something that makes life easier. Do you haul your gear to the gig by mule? [emoji1]

There's no put down implied here toward tuning pedal users. I asked, albeit somewhat skeptically, because I wanted to know, not to resist something I didn't know about, which is why I asked.

That said, I genuinely appreciate your thoughtful points. And I do like mules, as long as they get out of my Model T's way.

Minimalist518

Tele-Afflicted
There's no put down implied here toward tuning pedal users. I asked, albeit somewhat skeptically, because I wanted to know, not to resist something I didn't know about, which is why I asked.

That said, I genuinely appreciate your thoughtful points. And I do like mules, as long as they get out of my Model T's way.

[emoji23]

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I vote YES on a tuner...I can't always rely on my ears in even a mildly noisy environment. For years I've relied on a pedal tuner on my board, and I've tried various clip-ons without being impressed....til I found the D'Addario clip-on...don't know the model #, but it's little, low profile, and it hides behind the headstock. I put a tiny screw through the clip part (no worse than a string tree screw) to keep it from shaking off. The advantage of it over a pedal is I don't have to be at my board or mikestand to tune...I can be anywhere on stage....just roll off my volume, look at the BRIGHT LEDs, and tune up quickly. Those who have said no one wants to listen to a band or guitarist constantly tuning are right on! I can tune quickly, quietly and accurately while the singer flirts with the cute girls, er, ladies....

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Tuner pedal- Silent. Fast. Right.

In 30 years of gigging, I've never seen anybody at any level of the business tune by ear and get it right. Around the campfire? Close enough. And who cares anyway. On the gig? It's really low brow to make your audience listen to it. No matter how quickly you do it. And I promise, if it's a loud environment with a lot of background noise, your ears aren't nearly as good as you think they are.

If I'm on stage with a guy that asks me (or anybody else) for a note, I turn on my tuner and hand him my cable. Ain't nobody got time to listen to that crap.

Doghouse_Riley

Tele-Afflicted
In the band, we go from a piano/keyboard note as well. We can tell when a string or two have slipped/stuck and adjust pretty much on the fly. And/or we're tuning to the pitch that works best for a particular singer, song, etc.

Bro, if that works for you than cool. But I remember back in the days before tuners much time wasted with,
"you're outta tune" :mad:
"No, I'm not, you are" :confused:
back and forth ad nuaseum (I was the singer back then and didn't play guitar).:p

And if the guy is fiddling with his tuner all the time the problem is some combination of bad tuner, bad guitar (strings, tuners, set up, etc), or him (bad technique, ocd, tweaker:eek:, whatever). :lol:

Rythameen

Tele-Meister
Back in the band days, 70's, we used a big old Peterson strobe tuner to tune between sets, but tuned by ear if something slipped during the set, looking back it was very annoying, but that was how we did it back then. After I became a hobby player and saw the proliferation of clip on and pedal tuners, being an old fart I thought "Bah! Kids these days just don't know how to tune a guitar." But I recently bought a Polytune 3, and I have to say I really did myself a disservice by waiting so long, the thing is probably the most useful pedal I have, well right after my EHX Soul Food.

jimash

Friend of Leo's
I got a cheap quartz tuner (Zen Justina) the moment they were available, and have used them since. Mostly Korg and Boss.
But lots of times I just use it in the dressing room or even at home.
Tuning up is one of the reasons I chose a Telecaster.

PBO Blues

Tele-Holic
Anything with true bypass won't have a buzzing issue because you don't use the pedal while you're playing. And when you're tuning output is muted.

Late to the thread, here, but thought that I'd add that the Polytune 3 is indeed true bypass, but it also can be switched to provide a buffer. (TCE's Bonafide buffer is built in.) Sometimes a board full of bypasses (and long cable runs) need a little push.

Really happy with my Polytune.

Crashbelt

Tele-Holic
Employing the mute also spares the audience from the loud "chk-THUNK!" and "bzzzt-CHUNK!" if you switch guitars.
The cables which mute when you pull the jacks out of the guitar socket also save everyone from the racket when switching guitars. In the UK they're made by Award Session. And I think a floor tuner is essential these days.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
You can buy a tuner pedal with true bypass for $20-$25. I have several, they work great. Silly not to have one.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have used ( just for electric gigs) the same Boss TU-2 for maybe 20 years?

I love ( of course) it's tuning accuracy, but along with that It's POWER OUT, plus daisy chain powers my other pedals ( just 3, Boss too)
It also serves as a signal buffer, and a mute too, when disconnecting my guitars.
I still bring a headstock tuner just in case something were to happen to pedalboard...

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ha ha this is a lot of talk about tuning yer guitar.
There are those who feel that quartz tuners ruined rock.
I kinda thought so in a manly man arrogant I don't need no dang tuner sort of way.
Hendrix was charming with his dive bombs and tune ups, but his charisma carried him.

After playing guitar for 37 years I bought my first tuner pedal around the time of this threads OP. Works fine, getting over the shame of not tuning by ear as much. Will my pitch get less and less perfect now?

If I ever gig again, I'll probably be glad I have a tuner pedal after smacking my headstock into a mic stand mid song while adjusting my 12 knob boutique fuzz.
I can guesstimate a twist of a tuner if I notice I'm off a little without stopping to tune up, but it's risky at best and worser at worst.

bigben55

Friend of Leo's
I have a TC Polytune Clip and really like it. But still have a tuner on the board. It's the smallest I can see outside, a Mooer Baby Tuner. True Bypass, no frills. Besides the obvious, I like having it as a kill switch for switching guitars.