Do I really need a Brown Princeton? talk me down

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Jun 20, 2019.

1. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

For your deliberations, I recorded the same track with the same settings on the amp with my Epiphone '56 Les Paul Pro with two P-90's. I had to turn down the mic gain, and I had to play really, really soft so as not to keep the signal from overdriving or spiking.

DESCRIPTION OF TONES:
    Epiphone '56 Les Paul Pro with two P-90's on both pickups. Neck pickup is Lollar 50's-wind P-90, and bridge pickup is Wolfetone Meaner. Neck and bridge both full volume. Neck tone: 10; Bridge tone: 6. Into Surfy Bear Reverb unit, and then directly into 6g2 brown Princeton clone with Weber Blue dog alnico 30W, no dope. Amp volume on 4.5; Amp tone on 8.5. Recorded into mini-SD card in Zoom H2N, using both the on-board condenser mics and an SM-57 directly on the speaker cone. No post-production.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. 1954 Esquire

1954 Esquire TDPRI Member

I have an original Brown ‘62 Princeton and it is by far my favorite. Go ahead and pull the trigger you will not be disappointed.

4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the kit suggestions but I have two left hands. Meaning I'm tech challenged and would most likely end up in the Emergency room.

High Head Brad likes this.
  5. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I just discovered this YouTube, it's pretty interesting give me an idea of the kid even though you're not interested, but it's just a very cool way to have a classic amp.

6. Whoa Tele

Thanks for all the help everyone. I found a Stapleton princeton in stock so I'm going to try it out on Monday to gain some real world knowledge of the Brownface tone. I think it would be comparable to the Lil Dawg Chocoprince that I've been looking at.

7. theprofessor

Good deal! If the price is comparable at all, I think you'll get a better amp from Jim. Not necessarily so, but that would be my bet. If the Stapleton is more expensive, I know what I'd do. But then again, the Fender would have a higher re-sale value, if you end up not keeping it.

8. Whoa Tele

I think Jim will come in about $700 lower than the Stapleton model. Plus Jims amp will be a 25 watt model which should increase my clean headroom a little. I already have two Dawgs and have known Jim via the phone for a few years now. I have no doubt he wil build be a brown amp that will be favorably comparable to the Fender. Hopefully i can try out the Stapleton tomorrow. Thanks

9. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Hey @Whoa Tele , can you help resolve another TDPRIer's speaker question about a Lil Dawg amp? I've been looking at the Lil Dawg website, and I see the option of a 25W OT, but none of the info I could find on the site mentions the amps being 25W. An oversized OT may change the clean power, it may change the load line of the power tubes by having a different primary impedance, it may change the amp's EQ, and it may not really do much of anything. It depends on a lot of other details.

If you're in contact w/ the builder, you could ask how many watts the power amp puts out when using the 25W OT vs the 15OT, at 5%THD or some other useful value, whatever the builder thinks is the best way to communicate w/ his customers. And it may help you in your decision process too. Cheers

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/25-watt-5e3-tweed-deluxe-speaker-advice-needed-please.957804/

10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I own Jim's first Wonderdawg with the switchable dlux/super tone stack along with a couple of his tweed offerings ; all solid builds (heads). Also a 25 watt Chocoprince head. One nice feature is the bias pot. I can run the stock array of tubes which is my favorite flavor as of late or substitute 6l6GC or 5881 power tubes and MOST common rectifier tubes. Between the tube swapping ability and speaker choice (red white and blues, a celestion gold alnico and/or a weber anico silver bell) for the money, this amp is very versatile but NEVER loses its Brown DNA. I wouldn't trade it for 2 Chris Stapleton Princetons. (But I would love a pair of tickets to one of his shows!)

theprofessor likes this.
  11. Whoa Tele

Hey snfoilhat . I don't understand a lot of the tech stuff so I normally talk to Jim in more user friendly language but his contact info is on the website and he has always been quick to respond to my inquiries via email of phone. In fact he usually answers the phone when I call so direct contact with Jim is what I'd recommend.

12. Whoa Tele

Just tried the CS Princeton. Great sounding amp that had more clean headroom and punch than I would've figured for a 12 watter. Really pleasing cleans and didn't break up till around six on the dial. Don't think it's worth the $2000 they're asking for so I'd still go with the 25 watt Lil Dawg if I were to buy one. Wish I could've A/B it with my Wonder Dawg to see if I could get close tonewise.

High Head Brad and theprofessor like this.
  13. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'm using the Joe Bonamassa approach and trying to obtain between one and ten of every good amp produced. When I die my kids will probably sell everything at a yard sale for $300.00. Collector, horder, idiot? I'm walking a fine line here.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Bikersluggo and MickM like this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Why do you want it if you haven't tried it? That's weird.

15. Whoa Tele

The reason I'd like to add a brown Fender to the tweed and blackface models I currently own is because of all the folks who say the brownface tone sits in the middle soundwise. Tweeds can be wooly loose in the low end and Blackfaces can be bright and mid scooped. What's wrong with having something that bridges the gap? If it's weird to want something you've never tried, I guess I'll have to live with that label.

King Fan and Hatfield92 like this.
  16. theprofessor

17. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Buy buy buy!
    IMG_2931_eq.JPG
    I mean buy someone else's. I'm just here for moral support

MickM likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd also ask Jim straight up if the 25w OT will make an amp that sounds and responds exactly the same as a 6g2, or a bit different.

As already mentioned, a BF with a mid knob isn't the same as a 6g2 either.
    The more of something you get with the 25w OT mod in the chocoprince might sort of make an amp that's LESS of what you want MORE of; because adding more to a smaller amp makes it less of a smaller amp and a little more of a bigger amp.

You already have bigger amps and you want a 6g2.
    I'd go with stock so you're getting the exact amp you feel you want.
    The OT size is a big part of the feel, response and breakup.

King Fan likes this.
  19. theprofessor

Absolutely yes. If I had to splurge on one part and one part only, it would be the output transformer. You might see if Mercury Magnetics makes an exact clone of a 6g2 OT. I wouldn't spend any extra money on a Mercury Magnetics PT, though.

20. Whoa Tele

Thanks man . If I decide to buy I will definitely ask Jim. I do think that the 25 watter will retain enough of the original DNA. I don't think the Stapleton amp is a direct clone as I know it has a 12 inch speaker and have read that other mods were made at his request. The main question I have to answer is whether or not I'd rather have a black or brown princeton as I'd have to sell my Vintage Sound 15 to fund a new amp. I should probably see if the local GC that has the CS model will let me bring mine in and A/B them side by side.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.