Do I neeeeeed a PR and DR and VR?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by corliss1, Sep 6, 2019.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've got the BFPR and the BFDR.
    I'll never get rid of the BFPR.
    I'd probably trade the BFDR for a BFVR.

gridlock likes this.
  2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Having gigged, loudly, with all of them, IME the Princeton will not be loud enough, and the Deluxe works 99% of the time.

The Vibrolux looks good on paper, but unless you *must* have the 6L6 sound, it lacks horsepower. You'll still need to mic it just like the DRRI.

If there's no P.A. for the amp, and it's a large venue, the Twin is it. You can always turn a Twin down, you can't turn (almost) anything else up to match it.

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

To cover all the various types of music, studio recordings and/or gigs that you might be part of; having all three amps would be a benefit.

4. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Not knowing what you play and what sounds you like I don't know what you need.

I'd go try one out and even better if you could borrow somebody's for a couple days would be even better.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Honestly for what I do if I only could own two Fender reverb amps.
    It'd be a Princeton Reverb and a Twin Reverb.
    Not that I don't like my SRs but last few years I've been into the TRs more.

Telecastoff1 and corliss1 like this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Haha.... do I need a 5F1, 5F2, 5E3, 5F8, Supersonic 22, Bassbreaker 30R, PRRI & G20?

... Absolutely!

8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"If there's no P.A. for the amp, and it's a large venue, the Twin is it. You can always turn a Twin down, you can't turn (almost) anything else up to match it."

I totally agree with that statement. I play out and practice with my Fender Twins 99% of the time. On occasion, at smaller gigs I'll bring my VR just because I have it and feel I should use it. Actually, I could and should be using one of the Twins because they always produce the tone I need at every gig I play, large or small. To be honest, I don't even know why I talked myself into owning the several "small" amps I have. My VR sounds great in small venues, but easily gets lost at the large outdoor gigs and large dance halls, unless it's being mic'd. Then that is totally defeating the purpose, because with the Altec 425's loaded, it's just about as heavy as a Twin anyway, and with half the power. I think I just talked myself into selling the small amps.

BobbyZ and moosie like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

You need a Champ, too...

Both a tweed and a blackface...and a Vibrochamp, while you’re at it!

Happy to help!

10. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I love Fender amps and would not tell anyone they don't "need" them, as I certainly don't "need" the ones I have now. I have a SFVC, a PRRI, a SFDR, and a SFSR. At one point I thought about trying to replace the PRRI with a SFPR and also picking up a SFVR and a SFTR to "fill out" my SF collection. However, I only play at home now and really don't need any more amps......and not even the ones I have. Truth is, love the SFVC, and the PRRI is the most useful for me.....but the DR sounds bigger with essentially the same tube compliment, and the SFSR just sounds huge, even at lower volumes. I will never get rid of the SF amps, which are in VG to mint condition.

Anyway, of the three you have, I would think that the DR and VR cover similar ground. If you wanted to stay at 3 amps but have a wider range, then I might replace the VR with a SR or TR. But, if the VR is a BF or SF I 'd probably keep it and add the SR or TR ………..um, because I have a "problem";)

BobbyZ and corliss1 like this.
  11. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I'm not sure you have all the sonic spectrum quite covered. You might need a Twin because, well, because everybody should have one. I go with a SCXD, and Ampeg Jet to cover 15 watts, Reverberocket for the Deluxe 18-22 watt range, Vibroverb RI for the 35-40 watt range, Concert Amp for small but loud 60 watts, and a Twin for outside gigs.
    I'm thinking a head-cab amp is required too....

12. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

and, a pro rev, super rev, vibrolux, tremolux and twin rev. collect all of them!

play music!

13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I say you need an AC15 and a Super Reverb. AC15 will cover anything from the living room to a medium club, and the point where it runs out of gas is just about the place where a Super starts to sound great. Plus you'll be in great shape from power-lifting these amps.

14. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I was waiting for someone to say...

"Kemper and be done with it!"

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Kemper Amps, nor do I own or endorse any of their products. Brownface PR (or VR, if you can afford it) all the way!

15. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I have two Fender amps--silverface Vibro Champ and blackface Bassman--and they are enough for me. The Vibro Champ works great for coffee shop kind of gigs and sometimes recording studios. And the Bassman does the rest. I have an attenuator for the Bassman to help it growl in smaller clubs.

Short answer to the original question: No.

16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand why you can't do large gigs with a small amp. 15w 5e3 will give you great tone... Volume provided by the PA. major acts do this all the time.

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah volume can be enhanced. My experience is the tone of the amp changes in a large venue, even if it's the same volume level on the volume pot. I suspect it's SPL. But, Yes I have seen it done also. Although Jeff beck used a stack of small amps. Of course we don't know really what they are using, only what it "appears" they are using. I've seen Clapton live a number of times, and I think that tweed amp he likes stinks live. Crackly buzzy overdrive instead of his recorded woman tone etc. Someone like Aerosmith or AC/DC would not have sounded the same playing through a loud mic'ed Champ. Can you imagine? :>)

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Agree to some extent...Neil young, stills come to mind.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

no, i don't have any of those.

20. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Alright - to kinda wrap this up, I've decided to sell the PR. It's killer, it sounds good, but I really don't see a situation where it's an advantage over the DR. Can't play 'em all, and those dollars will be better served elsewhere, plus someone will end up getting a killer amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.