Do i need to know all the notes in the guitar fretboard to learn musical notations ?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by BattleAXE39, May 4, 2019.

1. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

I am planning to learn musical notations

And i am not exactly sure where to begin .

Please help

Rev Rhythm and Steve Holt like this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

3. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you learn to read the notes, you will need to know where they are on the guitar fretboard in order to play them, so it would probably serve you well to learn the fretboard before, or at least concurrently, with learning to read music.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Your question contained an absolute ("all the notes"), so, the answer is no.

I do understand that English is likely not your first language, and, surely your English is better than my Indian (I know none), and I'm not trying to be rude, but, that is the correct answer.

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Its similar to learning a different language. Awkward at first, but it gets easier with practice.

Foremost is knowing your scales. If you know the scale on the fretboard for the key signature, the rest is just practice. A good start would be to practice a scale while reading it.
    Then progress to selecting a simple song, reading and playing the melody while listening to the song.
    Melodies are notes of a scale played in sequence: Chords are notes of a scale played at the same time. So it all comes back to knowing your scales.

For any one music piece, you only need to know seven of the twelve notes.
    The other 5 notes are accidentals, and will be labelled sharp, flat, or natural.
    A single accidental could be considered a passing note, while a group of them would indicate a phrase written in a different mode (so you're playing in a different scale for that phrase).

Then you have to know the meter and timing of the notes. Practicing with a metronome helps (is essential) here.

(Did I mention "practice"?)

fattboyzz, P Thought and BattleAXE39 like this.
  6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Take 5 minutes each day and learn three notes in all their places on each string.

Start with G - A - B

In a month or less you will know the name of each note on the fretboard.

Good luck!

RodeoTex, don71 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

There are a hundred good ways to do this.

Here's one that I always lay on my students,

Memorize
    8 1 5 10 3 8, these are the location of the C note on all six strings, hi to lo.

In my opinion when learning to read on guitar, this is a great place to start, why?

If you know your C major scale in terms of languages and fretboard locations (maps).

Three main languages,
    1. C D E F G A B
    2. I ii iii IV V vi vii
    3. root m2nd m3rd 4th 5th m6th dim7th

If you know the lication of the C note then you can also know the two neighbors to C. Below is B, above is D.
    So on all six strings it should be easy to learn C and it's two neighbors.

That gives us three notes of the C major scale,,,,, and a good place to take a break. All that should have taken 10 minutes.

Step 2, more meeting the "neighbors".
    The neighbor below B is A. Etc,,,

You could also understand the sharps and flats stemming out from C. For example C up 1 step is D but C up 1/2 step is a bD. Break time till all that makes clear sense theoretical sense. And of course you're playing all this on your guitar having fun.

And so on,,,

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    SamIV, fattboyzz, Antmax and 5 others like this.
  8. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

The other extremely vital part of reading and making notation is the reading, understanding, and hopefully feeling the rhythms connected to the notes, the harder part of reading,,,,, 8th note, rests, 16th note arpeggios,,, playing off the beat as in syncopation,,, for examples, it is also a universal language, arguably more important than the note at times. Terms like "keeping time" and "playing in the pocket". I would say practicing rhythms would hog practice time.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone ,
    There is more valuable information in this thread than what i expected .

The biggest problem was , i really had no idea where to start .
    But this thread cleared a lot of my basic doubts .

Now i know what to google at least .

Can i have 1 or 2 likes for my post , because i need to put a forum sig so that i can stare into it and arrange a few things .

Thanks

10. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

Before you can modify your signature, you must have passed the following conditions:

The number of posts you have created must exceed: 0 (Yours: 4)
    The number of Likes you've received must exceed: -1 (Yours: 1)
    The Like Ratio must exceed: -1% (Yours: 25%)
    The number of days you have been registered must exceed: 0 (Yours: 0)

Does the forum allow pictures as signatures ?

11. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

Thank god , I have a signature and now i can stare into it and decide which way i should go .

There is so much more things in this thread which i should read again .

I made a lot of little notes so that i can list a few simple things to start practicing

Where should i focus more when practicing guitar ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chords , Notes , Musical Notations , Ear Training .

All of these things are really confusing

12. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When learning something so new that I cannot relate it to my everyday life, I have found it helpful to read more than one explanation of small and big things. Often, reading something again, but in different words, can make a huge difference in my work. On the extreme side, I once went through about 30 feet of abstract algebra to teach myself mathematical group theory. Whenever I got confused, I could just pick up another book.

When I got fatally stuck and could not understand something, I learned to contact a mathematician and ask them a yes/no or A/B question. I did this in person, on the phone, in their offices, and now, especially, in email. But the question has to be succinct, to ensure that it will be answered.

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

It almost sounds as if you are trying to learn to read over only a limited portion of the neck, which leads me to wonder...why?

14. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

@Larry F ,

Thanks a lot for the reply .
    Yes i will do that , I used to do the same thing too , Referring to multiple answers about the same subject helps a lot .

@Old Deaf Roadie ,

I am sort of new to learning Guitar in a systematic way .

What do you think is the best way to learn about the notes in the fret board ?

I should start learning scales ? Which are patterns , right ?

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There are many excellent suggestions in this thread but the task can seem overwhelming. Think about this. No one ever did better knowing less. Think about this too. We weren’t born knowing all we know now. We learned most of that in bits and pieces. You may be better off learning classical notation first. You may be better off learning where the notes played on open strings and up the first five frets are located. Then you can learn which notes make up which chords. Expand your knowledge of the fretboard and with it learn the common chord forms. You may need a good instructor if you have no training in music. Don’t get frustrated or overwhelmed. Remember that for all of us to whom this seems second nature, we weren’t born knowing it and we all learned it a bit at a time. Good luck.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

to visualize where you are with the notes on the guitar start on the E-6th string open ( the thick string ) the next note is F, F#, G, G#, A, A# ,B, C, D, D#,(E 12th fret )
    you will notice that there no E# or B# ( look at the piano keyboard no black keys there as well)

the next string is A-5th string follows the same pattern as above next note is A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, ( A-12th fret )

D 4th string D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C, C#, (D 12th fret )

G 3rd string

B 2nd string

E 1st string skinny string ( this is identicle to E 6th string but an octave higher )

fairly simple

17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I can only recommend finding a beginner's book. Everything you need to know about the relationship between the fretboard & notes on a staff would be clearly outlined & explained. A good instructor is well worth the investment, as well. Good luck, practice a bunch, & don't get discouraged. It will make you a better overall musician.

18. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

Sounds like you want to read standard notation. If so, it might not hurt to pick up a guitar instruction book. It is easy to get overwhelmed if you are just starting out and doing so without an instructor. A book can help you structure your practice time. The 3 main guitar instruction method book companies are: Mel Bay, Hal Leonard and Alfreds.

I use books from all of them. I probably use “Hal Leonard’s Complete Guitar Method” the most. It has quite a bit of material in it (3 books in 1). Mel Bays Guitar Method Grade 1 is sorta old school, in a charming way. It has the fewest pages, though. Alfred’s Basic Guitar Method 1 is okay, too. Alfred’s feels like it borrows the most heavily from the other two. Still there are tunes like “Ode to Joy” and “Au Claire De La Lune” that show up in almost every book regardless of publisher.

19. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply everyone ,
    Thanks for all the books suggestions , i will try to get all those books when i can find enough time .

After researching a bit , I came to the conclusion that i should learn more about scales .

I know scales as some sort of pattern one should practice .

Yes , i love practicing patterns .

What book should i read to understand more about keys , scales and music theory ?

20. BattleAXE39

BattleAXE39 TDPRI Member

This is very hard , But i tried to narrow down a few things .
    I don't know how to apply these to the whole guitar strings right now .

Can somebody look at my rough attempt to start learning notations ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So , Next goal is really a book to learn all the notations in a guitar .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.