1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I need to go Custom Shop if I want a thin skin 52' style with modern appointments?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rich2k4, Nov 5, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

made in USA, 9.5 radius, medium jumbo or 6105 frets, modern wiring, but thin skin nitro finish, etc. Seems like only the custom shop guitars have this. Am I missing something?

I really don't want to have to spend 3k.

2. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've looked into this extensively over the last 2 months as i am in the same boat. From all my research in asking here on TDPRi, calling Fender, calling multiple guitar stores, there's only 2 options available. You need to either buy a 52 reissue and put an American Standard Neck on it, but you won't have nitro on the neck. Fender sells them for around 350-400 Canadian. Or you can obviously go with a non Fender neck from many aftermarket companies.

The other option would be to do a CS order. Right now for me, I'm looking at 2700 for the guitar and 400 for the neck Canadian then tax. That's pretty brutal. But for us the Custom shop orders are more than what the previous combo would be, so that's what I'm going for.

Good luck, hope this helps.

3. Andoris

Sorry, I'm assuming here you are looking for all features of a 52(Nitro, saddles/bridgeplate/pickups/tuners etc) but with a modern neck..

4. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

What about the 52 Hot Rod or the 50s hot rod? If you like a humbucker in the neck, those should check off all the items on your list.

5. Andoris

The 52 Hot Rod was a special run that is no longer available(unless bought used,which would work). The neck is U shaped, but the OP didn't mention neck shape preference. There is a HB in the neck as well.

The 50's Hot Rod is way off from what the OP wants.

6. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

No, not a fan of the neck humbuckers. I want it to look exactly like a 52' just by looking at it, but having the modern style neck.

7. Andoris

I mean if you're after the classic Butterscotch Blonde Blackguard look then you could also do the following...

Buy an American Standard Deluxe Ash Butterscotch Blonde. Change the pickups out and take out the S1 Switching. But then you just have the look and modern playability. No nitro, 6 saddle bridge instead of 3, belly cut instead of not, compound radius neck, locking tuners instead of vintage. But cost wise, if it's solely the "look" of the classic 52, this is the best option IMO.

8. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Does it have to be fender? There's some great luthiers out there making t-style guitars that you could have customized for a little over or even under $2k.

9. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

don't like the belly cuts or poly finish. From what I have played, the new american standards and deludes sound dead acoustically. The best Tele's I have played were the ones that rang very loud when played acoustically, the common theme in these guitars? a thin nitro finish.

Custom shop seems to be the only option. I have looked in to small builders but I am very picky about headstock shape. It honestly has to be a fender tele headstock shape or else it looks wrong.

I'll admit the visual aspect of guitars is just as important to me as playability. My goal is to own 1 of each type of popular body shape. Strat, Tele, Les Paul, etc but it is important that when I open the case and look at the guitar, that I am reminded of a specific guitarist or image in my mind.

I have a Gibson R8 Les Paul, specifically because whenever I take it out, I think of Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, etc. No way I would get the same feeling if I pulled out an Epiphone Les Paul.

I have an olympic white fender strat with maple neck. To this day I haven't found a strat that sounds better to me, but one of the main reasons I bought it is because every time I look at it, I am reminded of Hendrix at woodstock.

So the blackguard style telecaster is something I want in my collection, but I am hoping to get it with some specs that don't distract from the visuals. Every time I think of a Telecaster in my head, it is a blackguard. This is why It is important for me to have a guitar like this in my collection.

I know, it is very picky but it is just the way I am.

10. Andoris

I'm the exact same way with pickiness. I'm telling you, buy a 52 reissue, and put an American Standard neck on it. You can sell 52 necks on eBay for a lot. You can probably buy An American Standard neck, and sell the 52 neck and MAKE around 100-150 bucks off that. The only downside I see to this is the Fender logo on the headstock will not be exactly "vintage" looking, and the neck will be satin and not nitro.

11. FenderBender10

Thought about MJT? Don't they do fender licensed headstocks?

12. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

50s Baja Telecaster

What you're describing (with the exception of the thin skin nitro finish) is the (50s) Baja Telecaster. No, it's poly not nitro, and no, it's Mexican not MIA. But it ticks most of the other boxes (i.e. looks like a 52RI, but with a 9.5" radius neck, medium jumbo frets and won't cost 3k). Thin poly finish, great neck, excellent pickups.

13. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Seems like you could get a 52 Hot Rod and just change the pickguard to accommodate a regular Tele neck pickup. That's what I'd do if I was looking for what you're after.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

A good luthier (not a guitar tech) could flatten the radius, refret w/ 6105, and shoot it for $400.

Problem solved.

That means you buy used to off-set the cost of the neck work.

15. Andoris

The Baja is no longer fully Butterscotch Blonde though.

16. rollyfoster

rollyfoster TDPRI Member

17. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

18. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

....made in USA,9.5 radius,medium jumbo or 6105 frets,modern wiring....thin skin nitro finish.....add custom shop pickups to the list and it reads like a description of a "Thinskin".

However there were three shops and a number of runs of so called "Thinskins" and some
    were vintage some modern but they're out there if any are for sale as the tend to be keepers.
    Got a 52 Thinskin only it has the vintage radius/frets/wiring that I got in a trade for a 52
    Coppercaster and it is simply magnificent.....the "Thinskin" sits somewhere between the
    AVRI 52 and the Custom Shop Telecasters in the scheme of things and are somewhat
    rare especially in the UK but are certainly worthy of consideration.
    Happy hunting.

19. FenderBender10

+1 for the Wildwood mentioned above! This may be my next tele. I've always loved the 52ri but don't like 7.25 radius.

20. Andoris

Are the Wildwood Guitars Fender made or are they Wildwood made with a Fender logo on the headstock, or are they Fender Custom Shop made but with Wildwoods spec????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.