Do I need an offset?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Steve 78, Jul 10, 2019.

Do I need an offset guitar for these musical styles?

1. Yes, a Jaguar!

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Yes, a Jazzmaster!

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. No, you can do it with a strat.

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. No, you can do it with a P90 tele and Chigsby!

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. No, you should buy X instead. (describe below)

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have no business liking Lana but I always have, well at least Born To Die. How this relates to offsets I have no idea. I also like what Lynch does, his spy/ambient/space-twang stuff. Does this require an offset? Only if it makes you think about approaching music in a new way, or you feel the new vibe and get inspired. Otherwise no, all you might need are some single coils and a vibrato. The idea a guitar is supposed to be tied to some genre of music makes no sense--play what looks, feels, and sounds good, in that order. It's all guitar twang, kerrang, and chug, with some tweedley 'look at me' in between. It's not a poly synth.

Trip-hop incorporated spy/retro sounds to good effect. Adrian Utley used old jazz boxes/semi-hollows, although I see him with a JM too. Strangers guitar sound was treated by actually pressing the recording to vinyl, IIRC. Maybe not, but it sure sounds like it. Speaking of which, this album stands the test of time, a classic.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Steve 78 and MilwMark like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No. Get real. An offset will not magically make you understand and play that style. Nor will any single coil guitar with any vibrato system prevent you from doing so.

If you want something that looks different, be honest and have at it. No reason to rationalize.

BorderRadio, Steve 78 and Allan Allan like this.
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

While nobody "needs" an offset, they are different and fun to have. Plus, you'll cut back on screen time fiddling with the bridge for the next three months!

Steve 78 likes this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I love Portishead, brilliant stuff! Yeah I don't know why that sound made me think of offsets. In my mind I associate the vintage reverby, tremolo--y sound with them even though I know it was/is made with lots of different types of guitars. I guess it is curiosity of the unknown.

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

I still face palm at people saying the bridge is fiddly. Strats, no any guitar with a vibrato can also be as temperamental.

It's a couple of adjustment screws. Make some string break angle with a shim. Get some clear finger nail polish. Done.

Steve 78 and howardlo like this.
  6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

After that, some teflon tape, a buzz stop, some mustang saddles and 11's and you're home free! :eek:

NewKid and BorderRadio like this.
  7. BorderRadio

Teflon tape if you don't have any nail polish, or have a non-AV bridge. Buzz stop? Those are for people who secretly want a Les Paul. Mustang saddles also not needed, an old solution for the same misconceptions. 11s are for caveman basher types, they'd be wise to have 11s on any guitar of any type :D

8. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Exactly! I have had my Jazzmaster and Jag for about 7 or 8 years now. After the initial setup never had to adjust them again. Both also seem to be in tune whenever I pick them up or after them use (but do no dive bombs just normal them use). Two of my most stable guitars.

8trackmind likes this.
  9. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

blueibanez.JPG

Steve 78 and Deathray like this.
  10. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I don’t know what anyone needs. That being said, I fell in love with my Jazzmaster the first time I picked it up. So versatile, comfortable, and magical. If you’ve never played one, you owe it to yourself.
    That is all...
    BFCD1DF5-6D43-4E63-A9B2-C6368E418974.jpeg

Skydog1010, Matthias, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I scored a used squier jagmaster II on the cheap and threw a set of 490 pickups in it. Love the shape, love the sound, love the 24” scale. Stock, it comes with a strat trem, but I hard-tail most of my guitars. The itch is scratched.

Steve 78 likes this.
  12. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

My first offset . It started an itch , with the Blue ibby I am up to 7
    [​IMG]

Steve 78 likes this.
  13. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Me too.

20181009_111614.jpg

14. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Pretty heavy on the reverb and trem, maybe a new pedal if not a new guitar ? upload_2019-7-11_6-30-1.png
    I can get pretty close with this one.

Steve 78 and Hammerhead like this.
  15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

When I decided to take a dip into the offset pool, I first got the now discontinued Squier VM Jaguar in surf Green, and I loved the pickups, but it had a wonky bridge and some high frets that caused a bit of buzz above the 12th fret on the high E and B strings. So, I sold it on CL for $300 (I paid $399) and bought the new Squier CV 60s Mustang, which has Alnico pickups that are Fender designed, and sound better than the DD pickups in the older models. The Mustang has a much better bridge, fretwork, and vibrato, and is equal in quality to the now discontinued Chinese CV models. I like the pickup switching, and the out of phase position has some cool sounds, which aren't too thin or wimpy sounding. Now, I want one of the new Indonesian CV Jaguars and Jazzmasters too. And I'm waiting until NAMM at the end of the month to see what the replacements for the Chinese CV 50s and 60s Teles and Strats will be. DSCN0818.JPG DSCN0819.JPG DSCN0820.JPG DSCN0821.JPG
    And, FWIW, I play Blues and Classic Rock, and although these types of guitars aren't known for these styles, they sound great for them. After all, Johhny Winter played a Mustang, and I've seen pics of Jimi playing a Jag.

16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

That's a cool looking pedal. I have a Voodoo Labs tremolo, and a Hall of Fame 2 is on my shopping list. I saw a video yesterday showing how to use the DD-500 as a tremolo and now I'm wondering if it can do a passable reverb as well.

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I have a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, they're great. But both are very different animals.

Steve 78 likes this.
  18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I'd say get one and a cheap way of doing it is the Affinity Jazzmaster. A lot of guitar for the money

Here's mine, barely modded apart from the pickguard

[​IMG]

Skydog1010 and Steve 78 like this.
  19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

If you're not using the guitar's natural sounds (clean, no effects) then it doesn't matter what guitar you have as long as you have the right effects.

Everyone needs an offset because they're cool & comfortable.

I've had Jags & Jazzies but this is my offset of choice. The "Jagmaster". This one was part of MIJ Vista series.

20190505_180144.jpg

I never liked any version of the Jaguar & Jazzmaster or Mustang vibrato units but I do like offsets. Fender should have put out a Fender branded version of this guitar.

Currently it's getting a set of P-Rails in it. Should be able to get any sound I want (within reason).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Steve 78 likes this.
  20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Same scale but the Jazzmaster is a longer guitar overall and it feels totally different which is one of the reasons I love it as a change of pace. My Tele feels small after playing my Jazzmaster.

Steve 78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.