1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I need an esquire....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by glenlivet, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Redduke

Redduke TDPRI Member

An Esquire and a Pro Junior is all you need. Now get to work!:D

2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like the switching. For most of the country stuff we do, it enables me quickly switch between rhythm and lead. Obviously, the brighter unhampered bridge tone doesn't work for every solo.

I tried wiring up my latest Tele build with wiring that was kind of a cross between Broadcaster and Esquire with no tone control. Position one was the bridge alone, position two was the bridge with neck blend, and position three was the neck alone. I hated it, because blending in neck pickup doesn't even remotely compare to rolling the tone back on the bridge.

telemnemonics and Esquire Jones like this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

In the grand scheme of things, and given the vast range of tones and tunes that the stuff you have can already cover, and how choked by man-made stuff this poor planet already is, and all the more pressing things you can spend your money on, and the troubling implications of our historically low savings rates, of course not!

So be sure to post sound clips here when you get it.

And enjoy how much interactive versatility there is in riding your volume and tone knobs to sweep those tonal waters. Your amps are lonely for an Esquire. They want the push and whispers of Esquire relationships.

And even if the whole magnetic pull thing is more abstruse than actual, it sure is inviting to have all that free zone for your attack hand. Esquires say, "Yeah? You think so? Come wrestle it out of me, and then we'll respect each other."

They also look particularly cool as they get beat up over time. A boxer who can weave that Buick even when the cops aren't after him....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Fair enough and I've wired up a three way that changes the tone cap from out of the circuit to .001 to .01.
    With the tone rolled back to zero, the .01 is a warm fat tone, the .001 is a slightly less bright tone, and obviously the other is straight bridge tone.
    I also love what the rolled off volume does as it cuts both volume and treble, for quieter or rhythm parts.
    My settings don't work for everybody but neither does Leos idea for a setting that lets us double as the bass player!

The Gibson four knob arrangement is useful for ideas too and you can wire up something like setting 1 is full up, 2 is tone rolled off, and 3 is volume rolled off, all either using the stock tone pot or adding a little pot inside with those switched presets while leaving the top mounted vol & tone normal for additional tweaking.

Players that adjust the knobs every other phrase are a mystery to me, I can't reliably move the vol or tone a tiny bit on the fly in the middle of a solo or whatever, the way the usual suspects did and do.
    So I do get the need for switched settings like that.

I was pretty unhappy with the stock volume cutting treble for years and tried lots of treble bleeds in the '90s, but more recently learned to like that warmer tone, and especially when getting ice pick from an Esquire.

I think a lot of players use a basic Tele that worked great for decades and find it has ice pick tone, because they/ we hadn't/ haven't learned to use the volume knob.
    Or players who hate the bright bridge tone install a treble bleed that makes it worse, because it seems to be the thing to do.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes simple is better! Though I prefer a 5F1 with a 12" speaker. The Pro Junior has too many knobs. :D

6. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

Its a tight rehearsal space with 5 people in there. And, as the only non-singer, this allows me to sit on my amp while they work on vocal harmonies!

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was guessing maybe you sat on the amp in that setup, I get lost in the music and would fall over in a space like that!

Also if I'm standing up my cord gets mysteriously coiled up as if I was spinning around in circles...

8. Esetter1

Esetter1 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

At least one!

9. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

Mine's getting close. It looks peachy in the pic but it's more creamy/aged white. I still need to wire it up and do some tweaking before I string it up.

003.JPG

Fiesta Red, Dadpa, Arfage and 6 others like this.
  10. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Easily done; there are a few places you can order a pickguard with no hole.

archetype likes this.
  11. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

That Esquire looks nice, so far.

12. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Been a Tele guy all my life but did a parts Esquire and it's now my go-to. I use 3 different tone cap values: .0047 for cocked wah; .047 full range with Tone control in path; and .0033 for a gorgeous singing lead tone with no ice pick.

Attached Files:

13. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

cool as hell.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.