1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do I need a Timmy?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Oct 8, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have a bluesbreaker style pedal and a klone. Heard some demo's of the timmy and some clones and it sounds really nice. I looked at a few past threads, the last being early this year, but didn't get a great feel for where the timmy sits in the spectrum. Maybe I missed something...

Would appreciate thoughts on where it works and where it doesn't

Thanks,
    BHM

41144 and tah1962 like this.
  2. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

A Timmy is fairly neutral sounding. It's neither bright nor dark. It doesn't have a mid-bump like a TS. It doesn't have a mid-scoop like a Big Muff. It basically takes the sound you've got and gives you more of it like a good clean boost (which the Timmy does well), but with the ability to boost gain well into OD territory (and I find its gain range useable more or less throughout the entire turn of the pot). I think that's why people like them so much.

From a design perspective, the thing that matters the most and distinguishes the Timmy from the other big ODs is the fact that it gives you the ability to dial in your low cut/amount of bass. Do you want to maintain your bass response? Do you want to cut the low end to have a tighter gain tone? A Timmy lets you choose exactly where you want to start cutting bass because you've got a dedicated pot to choose the cutoff frequency. That's probably the biggest practical advantage to the design. So long as you're happy with the more-or-less flat mids of the pedal and relative lack of a treble boost, you should be very happy with a Timmy.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

In the middle (open) setting, it gives you a very nice uncompressed low-gain amp-like breakup. It's really good with a mid boost drive in front of it.

High Head Brad and bluesholyman like this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Do you need a Timmy? I think we all do. Not only is it a great OD/boost on its own, it also works well with everything you put in front of, or behind it. You can stack a fuzz into it to control the EQ and/smooth things out and you get exactly what you'd expect. No notched EQ weirdness, no farting out. It's just a really powerful, versatile tool. I love it.

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I don't think you need one if you have a BB and a klon... but it is a really good OD.

.. then again I don't like the Klon ....so a BB and a Timmy would be a better combo for me.

6. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’ve never had a physical Timmy, but the Timmy model in my HX effects is one of my favorites, in side by side comparisons is identical in features/sound.

Overdrives in general are largely subjective and personal in nature. The worlds best sounding overdrive to me might be garbage to you. But the Timmy is popular enough that it’s a safe bet. I’ve come across a few people that dislike them, but you get that with anything.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've had all three.. kept the Timmy.

It's different. It may feel unsatisfying at times, as there is little color or compression. But understanding that, it's a valuable tool, different from a klone or BB type pedal.

Think of it more like a boost pedal, with adjustable gain and eq. It's funny, when I first heard it I was surprised... Then I laughed because it's exactly as advertised. I was just so used to buzz words that weren't really true.

telemnemonics and bluesholyman like this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

So is the only option now, apart from used, to buy an MXR version?

9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Yep, and those qualities (lack of coloration and compression) are actually pretty uncommon. Doesn't seem all that exciting until you realize that none of the other pedals in your collection can do what the Timmy does.

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got an original V1 Timmy that I bought direct from Paul C. years ago. It was on my board for years, but I recently took it off and replaced it with an Aion Refractor (Klon clone) which I built from a kit.

I used the Timmy as a lead boost. The EQ on the Timmy is great, but I like the lower mid push I get from the Refractor better.

Treehouse likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That's pretty much what I get from the DOD250, but without T&B controls.

And comparison to that circuit?
    I've often wanted to try a Timmy but don't want to spend a bunch more money to have extra knobs I leave at noon.
    Pedals I like aside from too much or too little bass could use those extra knobs, but it doesn't work that way...

I find the OD250 even has the right treble, but now i use an Oddfellow Cave man version that has a well voiced tone knob.
    Decades ago I added a tone control to my first OD250 and that worked well at the time, when for some reason I needed less treble.
    Could be hearing loss...

12. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Everyone else has already mentioned the things I like about my Timmy v2.

I use it as kind of a "more" pedal, to goose the basic tone I already have, and to get some lower-register non-fizzy "gargle" going on that still sounds like my guitar ( I like a little flub in my distortion ). The bass cut lets me fine-tune that. I always have it set up for unity.

I do some of the same things with my compressor, fwiw, and I like the way they sound together too.

13. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

I don’t have one of Paul’s Timmys but I do own the MXR Timmy. It’s fantastic!!!

Tom

Old Plank likes this.
  14. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I have a Paul Cochrane Timmy and I like it a lot. It's a very versatile pedal and stacks well with other pedals. I haven't heard the MXR version so I have no idea how close it is to the original.

15. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I think of a Timmy almost as an indispensable tool - it is so versatile that it can be used for a lot of different things.
    I have used my Tim to achieve a terrific transparent edge-of-breakup with Fenders and Voxes - my Tim is the best pedal I have ever used with a Vox to get two addition 'channels' or increased levels of gain. I also use it with the treble up and the bass rolled back a little to get about 85% of the way to a Vox tone from a Fender amp - the best "Vox in a pedal" I have tried. I also use it in front of other pedals to juice them with additional transparent gain. To me, it is kind of like a Swiss army knife, and I will never sell my Tim.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    dlaroe likes this.
  16. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

If you have a single channel amp that you love and always wished it had a dirt channel...Timmy is your answer.

This is exactly how I use it on my Blues Jr. It is the most uncompressed, neutral (in a great way) overdrive pedal I've played. If you want a mid push or coloration, look elsewhere.

17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought mine before the price spike. It was one of those pedals I should have bought in the first place. Others described the sound better than could. I really like the EQ.

I've been meaning to get the MXR version to A/B them but haven't gotten the chance.

18. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

A Timmy is close to being “transparent,” if that’s desirable to you, more so than a Klon.

19. Gatordad

Gatordad Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Everybody needs a [​IMG] !

Roman4405 and hemingway like this.
  20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

In Canada you could be asking a different question.

I need a Timmies everyday so as to be able to deal with people.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.