Do I need a noise gate pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by guitarmoron, May 29, 2019.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

I have a Rocktron Vd50 velocity 2x? Amp. I have a buzzing when I use the amps delay or chorus features, humbuckers or single coil it is the same. I have pedals but they don’t add any buzz. Would a noise pedal help?

Thanks

2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Are you using a lot of gain? Does the amount of noise increase when you turn the amp volume up? Does it increase when you turn the guitar volume up? Does the noise increase or change depending on the settings for the two internal effects? Answers to these questions, and others, may help us zero in on your issue.

I wouldn’t jump right to spending on a noise gate unless you’re shooting for a certain tight/heavy/percussive sound with high pedal or preamp gain and need relative silence between notes (numetal/djent). There are several types of noise gates/suppressors and you can use them in different ways and locations in your signal chain to achieve different effects or control noise from different parts of the signal path.

guitarmoron likes this.
  3. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

I am only using a little gain, it does increase when I increase amp/ guitar volume, It only happens when I use internal effects

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Internal effects in the amp?

If the noise is coming from the internal effects in the amp no noise gate in the front end of the amp is going to do anything. The only way you'd be able to use a noise gate to get good effect would be if you had an FX loop. I would have a hard time believing anyone would design an amp that had an FX loop after the internal modulation FX though.. I'd think it'd be designed like this:

Input -> Preamp/Modeler -> FX Loop -> Internal Mod FX

If delay or chorus are causing noise issues that would strike me as just a really bad amp design, particularly if they're digital effects, as delay & chorus are not "gain" effects that amplify noise. Digital modulation effects should never be adding noise, that's a chief advantage of digital algorithms.

I think when stuff bugs you sometimes the answer is one of the following if the amp was cheap to begin with:

- Live with the noise
    - Cut and Run and invest in something better.

You wouldn't want to throw a $100-200 noise gate at an amp you got for about the same money.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a noise gate back in the day.
    It covered up some amp and too much gain issues
    from pu or amp. It did suck certain overtones or freq, however.
    Never used again after better guitars and amps..lol

guitarmoron likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 I agree, noise gate is not @guitarmoron 's solution.

guitarmoron likes this.
  7. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Chorus/delay are my in amp effects, I avoid using them because of the buzz, i guess it’s time to buy a chorus and delay pedal

Thanks

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

try plugging the amp into some different outlets, you might have a bad ground, and when the effects are used, they may be adding gain to the circuit which makes hum more noticeable. If one circuit in the amp is humming/buzzing, it probably in the whole amp, just more noticeable when the gain is jumped by the fx loop inside the amp.

then again it might have some dodgy wiring or a bad/oxidized ground strap inside the amp circuit, if its solid state, open it up and have a look around.Try not to touch anything while the power is on, it might make you twitchy for a bit.

look for swollen or leak caps, rusty wires, and dead cockroaches bridging circuits.

if its a tube amp, you want to know your way around high voltage (potentially lethal) components, before you start monkeying around in there. Best to leave that to someone who knows which end of a capacitor goes to ground. and knows how to bleed current out of a circuit without storing it in his own body.

guitarmoron likes this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Don't come to TDPRI asking whether you should buy a pedal and expect anyone to say no!

10. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

11. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I’ve had setups that run dead quiet and howling rigs. I picked up a boss noise gate at a pawnshop for 40 bucks years ago. I have all my pedals in a loop with the noise gate being first (except my wah) and last (except looper) in line. I change pedals around a lot. Sometimes it’s on. Sometimes it’s off. But I’m sure glad it’s there when I need it.

12. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

No, you don't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.