Do I need a Fillmore 50?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lowspeid, May 9, 2021.

1. Lowspeid

Lowspeid TDPRI Member

So here’s the deal: I have a Mesa Fillmore 25 head that I run through a 23” Fillmore Cab, and a Widebody closed-back cab with Alnico Cream (possibly the BEST speaker I’ve ever heard). I love the clean channel, and it takes pedals really well. I like it better than the ‘76 Deluxe Reverb, and the ‘68 cpr I use to own.

My issue is with the Drive and Hi channels. They sound so compressed and nasal compared to the clean channel, and they don’t clean up with the volume knob at all. I’ve read through the manual (several times), tried every eq setting I can manage, but I can’t it to open up, or “crunch”. I’m not sure if those are the right words to describe tone, but they’re the best I got.

I like a “crunchy” rhythm sound (Marshall-ish?), as I’m not much of a lead player. Would the 6L6 tubes of the Fillmore 50 be more “open” and “crunchy” and less compressed and “vocal” than the 6v6’s in the 25?

Am I missing something?

I play mostly classic rock, indie, P&W, and blues.

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a EL34 tube amp. Like a Marshall?

Sorry. Hopefully someone can help you better.

Lowspeid likes this.
  3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

If you go down the 6L6 route you may lose the clean channel that you love so much with the 6V6's. I also love Boogies but pretty much the first/clean channel with pedals is what I use, great platform. The grass is always greener..............

Lowspeid likes this.
  4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

If the clean channel sounds fine, then the output tubes aren't the problem (or the solution.)

joe_cpwe and Pcs264 like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Where to you run the preamp gain, tones and MV when trying to get that crunch?

I found this thread...there are some demos of both the 25 and the 50 down the line there...

Lowspeid likes this.
  6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

The way I would approach that amp is to leave both channels in clean mode > Run one with low to medium gain for a clean to "edge of crunch" range and then > set the other channel for higher gain to pick up where the other channel left off. Then balance them out with the masters. Too bad they won't quite do a Marshall sound, though I might be able to learn to live with it, if I had to!
    Just Tweedin'
    Gene

Lowspeid likes this.
  7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a Filmore 50 combo, and the two dirty channels clean up pretty well with the guitar volume. I generally run the dirty side on a medium gain/crunchy sound, and goose it with a pedal if I want more than that.

Lowspeid likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you're playing the Fillmore you need at least a 50W model.

Lowspeid likes this.
  9. Lowspeid

Lowspeid TDPRI Member

Thank you guys for the replies. I called Mesa and talked with someone there (forgot his name) for 30 minutes. SUPER helpful! Even though I’ve read the manual about 5 times, he was able to explain the Mesa tone stack to me a lot better, and offered some suggestions. I tried ‘em, and sure enough they worked. I still think I need to A/B the 25 with the 50 though. You know, just to be “sure”.

10. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

This reminded me I need to get my wife's car and go Fillmore at the gas station.

ThermionicScott and Lowspeid like this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Mesa manuals are the best in the business, ime. There is nothing that is left unturned in them, ime.

Lowspeid likes this.
  12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

It's "used to" own.

13. Lowspeid

Lowspeid TDPRI Member

The manuals are very thorough, but I found it really insightful talking with customer service. The guy (I wish I could remember his name) was able to explain the tone stack, how they voice their amps through the preamp, how the pots interact with each other, and how that interaction can play out through the speakers.

As an aside, I was incredibly impressed with Mesa's Customer Service. I really feel like he wanted me to love the amp, and took the time to help me understand it a lot better. I still think I'll get a 50, once I can find one local, but I'm enjoying my 25 a lot more than I did before I spoke with Mesa.

Frodebro and Wally like this.
  14. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Post your new settings

mrsongbird likes this.
  15. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Tele-Meister

Yeah, post those new settings! I’ve been actually really enjoying that drive channel with my strat and Tele after turning down the gain to about 10 o’clock, the treble and presence at noon, the bass at 2, and the mids at 9:30. I haven’t tried those settings yet with my humbuckers and p90s yet, though.

Lowspeid likes this.
  16. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

IMG_20210515_104949916_HDR.jpg

Lowspeid likes this.
  17. Lowspeid

Lowspeid TDPRI Member

302214B5-38D7-43FA-A748-282B549FD500.jpeg 70DF5276-E5B0-4012-B18C-218A1C33A1E7.jpeg
    This is what I’ve come up with for my “clean”, and crunch. I use a EQD Plumes and Red Llama 25th for my “in between” tones. I have to add treble and cut some gain when I play my SG vs my Telecaster, but they both sound good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.