Do I need a 6 string bass?

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
If you're into bass as a lead instrument it could prove useful, like others have said, to have more notes at hand without shifting. Six string basses aren't too common outside of hip hop and r&b. I can understand why someone would want to play like Thundercat.

Texsunburst59

Friend of Leo's
I personally own 5 basses, with 4 of them being 4 strings, and 1 being a 5 string.

I like the 5 stringer,but I prefer 4 string basses.

The day I ran into my 5 string, I'd never considered owning one.

Once I saw the price on the tag, I was OBLIGATED to bring it home.

I convinced the store to let me have it for $204 out the door, because it didn't have the original case.

Price negotiating 101.

'94 Fender Jazz V Plus

26695834379_df7fc50473_c.jpg

23887953087_50746ac408_b.jpg

kodiakblair

Tele-Meister

I was one of the first in the UK to own the 4 string version, pre-orders were delivered before the basses went live in the shop :)

Construction was solid, electrics were quiet, neck was really comfortable. It wasn't my first experience of an Ebonol fretboard, it's a material I have no problem with. I actually prefer it to the "dyed black" ebony on some of my other basses.

The G&B pickups/preamp had no shortcomings. I've been aware of G&B for many years. They built the VFL pickups in my USA Peaveys , the EMG Selects found in various basses and Spector Tone Pump preamps.

For very little money these Thomann models are an excellent introduction to a modern style bass.

A word of caution. The BZ range are not light weight basses, the 4 string equaled some of the jazz basses and T-40s I've owned. The 6 string will be no different.

A word of advice. Add a set of strings to your order. My BZ shipped with D'Addarios which I immediately swapped for flats ;)

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
Do you play genres of music where extended range basses are common? Are you a fan of a bass player who plays an extended range bass?

The first player I think of is Anthony Jackson, who pretty much invented the 6 string bass.

Big Daddy thanks for the video - really interesting.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I think you do.

I don’t. But we are not the same. And that’s why the world is so awesome. You be you. Without a 6er you are only 83% of your best self. Do the math.
Don’t worry about the comments about notes and nuts and junk, this isn’t about what someone else wants. This is about what you need. And I’m convinced you need a 6 string bass.
Don’t fall into the bear trap of comments and settle for a VI or a Bari if you want a 6 string bass.
Post pics.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I am a bonehead who plays a 4-string P copy, happily, but I tried a used ESP six-string at a GC last year and thought it was pretty cool. I mean, it was hideous: this overdone spalted wood finish, like some kind of high-end coffee table, with gold hardware. But despite the width, the neck felt great. I could totally adjust to playing that neck if it was what I had.

I admit that I like having to go up the neck for some runs; I like the shifting timbre from note to note. I also like using open notes in among fretted ones, and there seems to be a school of thought that favors more strings, less shifting, playing across the neck for an even dynamic and timbre on all the notes. That makes sense to me, academically, but when I’m actually playing I’m happy on four, reaching for stuff.

Still, if I come across a six I like and can afford someday, I might get one. The guitar player I play with would be horrified. That would be reason enough right there. Six: stickin it to the man.

PARCO

Tele-Holic
When your post said six string bass I guess I was thinking of something like a Fender six string bass or a Danelectro six string (something tuned like a guitar only an octave lower) not so much an actual bass. I really like the Danelectro six string. So yes, I think you need one.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I think you do.

I don’t. But we are not the same. And that’s why the world is so awesome. You be you. Without a 6er you are only 83% of your best self. Do the math.
Don’t worry about the comments about notes and nuts and junk, this isn’t about what someone else wants. This is about what you need. And I’m convinced you need a 6 string bass.
Don’t fall into the bear trap of comments and settle for a VI or a Bari if you want a 6 string bass.
Post pics.

Ok @Killing Floor I am going to print out your reply and hand it to my wife with the receipt for the bass. I see you are in Austin, we are only a couple of hours north of you, so she might find you and kill you. Fair warning!! LOL

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ok @Killing Floor I am going to print out your reply and hand it to my wife with the receipt for the bass. I see you are in Austin, we are only a couple of hours north of you, so she might find you and kill you. Fair warning!! LOL
Thought I was the only one who could make it to Dallas in 2 hours!

100% true story… I showed my wife pictures of the tuning keys and jack plate of a bass I wanted. I said “wow, check out this Art Deco hardware, this would look so good hanging in our home office”. She said “go for it” and That is how I became the owner of a Duesenberg Starplayer. You need to tailor your proposal to your audience.
Strategic selling.

It looks great next to my actual college mailbox door! Agree?
upload_2021-7-3_11-56-8.jpeg

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Thought I was the only one who could make it to Dallas in 2 hours!

100% true story… I showed my wife pictures of the tuning keys and jack plate of a bass I wanted. I said “wow, check out this Art Deco hardware, this would look so good hanging in our home office”. She said “go for it” and That is how I became the owner of a Duesenberg Starplayer. You need to tailor your proposal to your audience.
Strategic selling.

It looks great next to my actual college mailbox door! Agree?
View attachment 873647

that is SHWEEET!!!

And for disclosure I am in Waxahachie so it is a little closer than downtown Dallas!! Two hours is pretty good unless I hit that horrible traffic in Waco!!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Anyway, get what you want. Post pics.

Every HB I’ve seen punches way above it’s weight. That’s a steal. And it looks good. That’s a purse and pair of shoes. That’s well worth it.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This is a Tele forum. Since the object of your affection has six strings you are getting close to Tele territory. Split the difference and get a baritone Tele.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
If you don't mind the weight and can keep your scales straight when switching between basses, sure. I finally dumped my 5-string and went back to just 4-strings because the chance of slipping to thinking the low string was an E was too great.