Do I have Abigail Ybarra pickups in my 2001 Nocaster?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by imac, May 8, 2021.

1. imac

imac TDPRI Member

All, I have a 2001 Nocaster. Love it! I was reading on this site that Abigail Ybarra wound the pickups on the early Nocsters. Can I assume mine were wound by her? Do I need to pull the pickups to verify? BTW, pickups sound phenomenal.

tce63, VonBonfire and Telekarster like this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yes, you'd need to see the backside of the pickups in order to verify. She would either sign her name, or she'd initial with AY, and usually date them too. I have a 2001 AVRI Strat that came with her pickups in it! It's a super sweet sounding strat... so I'd be curious to know if you have em too since both our guitars are from the same year ;)

3. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

The real question is will they sound as good if you find out she didn't put her name back there?

4. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

IIRC (from what I've read online), some AY initialed pickups were wound under her supervision (not necessarily actually wound by her).

You do know she went down to the crossroads to obtain her special gift.

pressure and Telekarster like this.
  5. Telekarster

Ah! You're right! Thanks for that correction... I had forgot about that. Mine are actually signed with her signature, so hopefully the OP will find the same. I was wondering where she got that skill! :cool:

pressure likes this.
  6. Telekarster

You know.... thinking on this further.... I'm not sure how many Tele pickups she wound. I've pretty much only ever seen strat pickups from her, or her assistants (AY marked), but can't recall seeing a tele pickup from her? Not saying she didn't wind em, but just sayin' it would be pretty rare find I'd think. Anyway, hope you get a nice surprise! I did ;)

7. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

Agreed! The older Nocaster pickups were pretty hot - like 9 or 10 k - but they were changed to about 7 or 8 k around 2000 or 2001. I think the focus is best directed to the sound they produce - not the identity of the winder.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Telekarster likes this.
  8. imac

imac TDPRI Member

Absolutely! In fact, I will not be checking the pickups, but will assume she wound them. :D

OldDude2 and H. Mac like this.
  9. imac

imac TDPRI Member

My understanding is Abigail Ybarra pointed out that the 10K Nocaster pickup was not accurate and recommended the 7 or 8 k around 2000 or 2001.

TJStone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.