Do guitars train us?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Milspec, Oct 18, 2020 at 4:06 PM.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a nice acoustic, but it was too nice to take out of the house in the winter or really hot days to take lessons. At least that was how I felt about it, so I purchased a much cheaper guitar for that purpose.

They were from the same brand, but not the same specs. The cheaper one had a shorter scale and thinner string spacing.

I ended up playing that cheaper instrument far more than my nice one until the day came that I really couldn't play the wider string spacing without struggling. I became a much better player on the shorter scale thinner spaced instrument.

To this day, I have added more acoustics based on that cheap guitar I started out with and it has become my favorite specs.

So, it got me thinking. Do we really buy guitars that fit us or do we really conform our playing to the instrument? Was it simply a matter of training or was I really a better fit for the thinner spacing from the start due to finger length or something?

2. beanluc

beanluc TDPRI Member

Could be there's not really a way to know.

Could be you haven't put the effort in to training on the "nicer" guitar's specs.

Could be that if you actually liked that guitar, you would have.

Milspec likes this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess we Change, adapt and, overcome when it is important enough.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Meister

for a number of reasons, nowadays i prefer to play other guitars that aren't my 335. but when i pick that thing up, the thing i spent 15 years learning and playing on exclusively, i play noticeably better and with more ease.

Milspec likes this.
  5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Familiarity is the most subtle addiction in the world.
    I seek diversity in the sonic pallate, and the guitars are not always alike.

Milspec and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I first started on a cheap 25 1/2" scale acoustic but then got a beater Mustang and made a new body for the 24" scale neck, then played both for years until I got my first Strat.
    Also played fiddle then got a cello.
    Played P and J basses but really preferred the narrower nut on the J neck.
    Neck width I guess I do prefer just right and gravitate away from too narrow and much as from too wide on guitar, where bass really bothers me when the long scale is also wide at the nut.

I see fatter fingered players deal with LP necks and think that would be tough, then see mando players with any adult size hands deal with tiny spacing.

My biggest fail is dealing with the type of bending I do that really needs tall frets.
    I cannot just adapt to low frets though I can certainly play them, with diminished phrasing ability in the bends.

Milspec likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

boy howdy

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Maybe. I don't own one now, but I'm afraid I've been very well "trained" by SG's:lol:. I only notice them in good ways.

Milspec likes this.
  9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

What we like and can afford shapes what we play most. What we play most becomes what we are used to, and I guess trains us. I tried practicing through my Dads Charvel supersrat and his ss Crate with a blues driver once when I was like 20. It gave me a headache. Dynamics weren't there, the crazy powerful bridge HB was uncontrolled and soulless sounding. It was like a nightmare where you cant control your body movements.
    I switched to his HRDLX, and a junky Warlock he paid $35 for. Couple ibuprofen and the drummer and borrowed bass player jammed with me another 4 hours.
    When we can't do what we are used to, on a muscle memory level, results land south of satisfactory.

My neighbor growing up played a late 70s ish tokai strat and acoustics for ages, his first upgrade in ages was to a US anniversary deluxe strat (whatever the first generation S1 switching one was?). You like what you're used to, I suppose.

Milspec likes this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

when I first decide to learn to play guitar I had horrible time trying to make chords on a standard strat. The I played a takamine classic and there was a much wider neck and the fret spacing was not an issue I think the fretboard was flat, life became easier doing finger exercises and scales was less fatiguing. a guitar taught me what I needed.

Milspec likes this.
  11. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I go from maple neck Teles and Strats to archtops with flatwounds and you learn what each instrument is capable of and play to its strengths. Every instrument has its limitations and strong points and you adjust your technique accordingly.

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Even though I may play the same old stuff ( but a lot of stuff now, aging!) on any of my guitar ( now 4 electrics- each different styles, and 2 acoustics- a dread and 000), each one 'steers' my playing in a slightly different direction- a real 'bio-feedback thing' going on
    It can be the whammy bar on the Strat, a shorter scale length on an SG ( bending and vibrato; neck shapes; pickups, frets...
    All seem to kind of dictate in places, (say during solos, or even forming chords) how I may play- very often right in the moment- fun!

Milspec likes this.
  13. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My first electric was a MelodyMaker, second was a 335. I certainly enjoyed both, but picked up a Tele one night and realized that 25 1/2" scale was just right for me~

ping-ping-clicka and Milspec like this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 I'd say this is it in a nutshell. Regardless of how thick or wide or long scale a guitar is, if I wanted that specific sound, I grunted and groaned until I became comfortable with it. Proof of the pudding is watching those very young kids on YouTube playing awesome stuff on full size guitars. Amazing what our bodies can do if we desire it enough.

15. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Might be amps in my case..certain ones bring it all out

Bass player for years..it was a bass..until the Ampeg SVT..then it became powerful.

Then guitar switch..Marshall JMP 50..same thing...

all things elevated in sound & enthusiasm like no other gear

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 6:23 PM
  16. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I'm going after rails...:cool:

[​IMG]

Nahtabot likes this.
  17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i don't know, but i think if one starts playing on a strat it can spoil you for life. almost everything else feels wrong in some way, some more than others. after having started with a strat, it's hard for me to stay happy with a les paul. they just usually feel really wrong to me. but, strangely, my heritage h535 feels just fine.

18. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I just got done splitting my practice time between a '60 LP Junior and a '97 Ibanez Talman... two very different guitars. After playing the Junior, the Talman neck felt like it was kiddie-sized... but, after a few minutes, I adjusted to it. It has great HBs, and a good Strat-like trem, so there's a lot to like there.

The point is, it's good to mix it up sometime. Do something (a little) different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.