1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do guitars being sort of flat make them easier to hide from your spouse?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 5, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I have a self-imposed limit of three guitars (if I want another one, I need to sell one). I do this to prevent conflict - not that there would be any but I like to be proactive. Anyway, I had an amp that I tried to sell, and couldn't. But a guy did want to trade his guitar for it, so I inadvertently ended up with four guitars total. I always make sure one is hidden in the closet at any one time, surrounded by my clothes.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yes. They can also fit quite nicely in many gun safes...aka "The Cabinet of Secrets". :cool:

3. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

You really need a higher limit, then it's just too confusing for her to bother tracking.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t have any secrets. My wife is privy to pretty much all my gear business. We have an agreement- if I can sell or trade to get what I want, and it doesn’t involve our money/finances, I can do whatever I want. She doesn’t need to know, and she doesn’t care. She will occasionally ask “when did we get that?” Or “what is that one?” But it’s never confrontational or anything.

If I have something I want or need that needs to be purchased outright, then I tell her about it and she works it out. She handles all the bills/finances. I have no interest in any of it.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

Oh, I have one of those also but it's a little full at the moment...

Oldsmobum and E5RSY like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

Same here, I usually justify every purchase I make even though I don't really need to - just a way to keep things open and honest. But that accidental fourth guitar....

I think she is happy though that the amplifier I never use is no longer in the living room.

P-Nutz, Jakedog and Cali Dude like this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

Yeah, she doesn't bother tracking anyway, but I like to at least appear as though I'm not hoarding guitars.:lol: I keep a padded gig bag in the closet, and that's my 4th guitar's hiding spot.

8. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My wife vouches for this. :lol:

fjblair and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

why don't you just be honest with her, or explain it? i think another guitar is a better deal for her than another amp.

when i was living with my parents for a bit they didn't mind the two guitars that i bought. but they were definitely a bit pissed at the few amps i brought into the house. not even so much sound-wise, just the room they took up. a guitar is generally much less of a headache for everyone who has to live with it.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped counting her bags and shoes and aromathingy devices all over the house that need refilling every couple of weeks. In return she has graciously lost count of all my things music and golf. :lol::lol:

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My take on this is if you have to hide something from your spouse, you don't need one or the other...

Tyuk, Jim622, javiersson and 2 others like this.
  12. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Mine all sit out on stands where they can be seen. Current count about 16 - 17

SRHmusic and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

I just told her and she didn't care either way.... but I think I feel guilty because I've had that limit in place for years and haven't violated it until now. I'll tell you what, though - I'm glad I glad that new guitar!!

Jakedog likes this.
  14. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Some of you guys shouldn't be married.

Henley, P Thought and StrangerNY like this.
  15. 3-Chord-Genius

It's more of a "keeping myself honest" thing. Being open and transparent so there is nothing to hide. Until another guitar accidentally finds its way into my possession...

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My wife knows about every gear purchase I make, even the small stuff. I wouldn't be able to hide anything from her because I'm really bad at lying.

I'll even run prospective buys by her to see what she thinks of the aesthetics. We don't always agree, but she's got a good eye for style.

- D

P Thought likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is a painter so she can see subtle differences maybe even better than i can.
    Plus she gets all the closets in the house.

But she also wants me to buy guitar gear, not whole guitars but stuff i need to improve the tools like a new neck or whatever.
    If I complain about my amps not cutting it and a gift holiday is coming, she suggests buying what I think I need.

As far as hidden guitars go I prefer Fender removable neck designs for ease of invisibility.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you for your (redundant) honesty.

suave eddie likes this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

When my wife buys a new horse she does not hide it, and I don't hide a new guitar.

20. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love and value my wife and family very much, and I once almost lost them over issues of keeping secrets. Not guitars in that case (nor other women, just for the record), but since then I have tried very hard to stay open about everything, even though it turns out that wasn't my nature exactly. I have in the past sneaked guitars into the house.

While I might have hit the buy button by the time I tell her, I make sure Mrs. Thought knows a guitar is coming well before it gets here.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    JL_LI, StrangerNY and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.