Do electric guitars sound get better as they get played more?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I used hear and read about this - only on acoustic guitars, that they get sound better as they get played more.
If that is true, would it be the case for electric guitars too? Or it doesn't make sense?

The biggest problem with this whole question is that 'better' doesn't really mean anything.

Lets just say a pickup has become less magnetic and become mellower sounding over time, if you like a mellow sound you might think it's 'better' but if you like a more aggressive sound with a lot of bite, you might think it sounds 'worse' as it gets older.

I don't even know what you mean when you say 'better' and there's a good chance that my idea of 'better' isn't the same as yours.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
Not a big deal, but sometimes if a guitar hasn't been played for months it doesn't seem quite as lively.
They come back to life pretty quickly with a couple of hours' play, though.
I've noticed that with my spruce-top acoustics in particular. It takes my Songbird Deluxe a couple hours of playing to really "open up" and produce all the glorious overtones and "richness" inside it if I haven't played it in a while. I also notice it gets considerably louder the more I play it.

My Electrics? Can't say. I've owned my '60's AO Tele since 2018 and it hasn't sat unplayed more than a day or two in that time. The rest of the electrics I've owned have come and gone pretty quickly (I'm pretty sure the '58 LP I picked up a couple months back will be with me 'till the grave).

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
What about the pickups? Do they get aged and change sound?

Materials engineers will tell you that a magnet's gauss will stay stable for a very long time unless exposed to powerful energy sources that can disrupt their magnetic field. Ack! What do those engineering geeks know about the mojo of aged pickups!

Winky

Tele-Holic
Our friend plays one of these professionally in the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. I was asking about the idea of "vintage". She said these get worse with playing and with time, and that all professionals play new instruments. The opposite of the stringed instruments.
1652878790893.png

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I think they actually sound worst! Many people post extatic threads about new guitars they are getting, and then they are becoming number 2s, 3s and get passed on with time ;)

Winky

Tele-Holic
I've noticed that with my spruce-top acoustics in particular. It takes my Songbird Deluxe a couple hours of playing to really "open up" and produce all the glorious overtones and "richness" inside it if I haven't played it in a while. I also notice it gets considerably louder the more I play it.

My Electrics? Can't say. I've owned my '60's AO Tele since 2018 and it hasn't sat unplayed more than a day or two in that time. The rest of the electrics I've owned have come and gone pretty quickly (I'm pretty sure the '58 LP I picked up a couple months back will be with me 'till the grave).
"I also notice it gets considerably louder the more I play it."

That happens to me, but it isn't the guitar. As I get set with the position and feel of the instrument, I get more confident, and play it more assertively. When I play it for the first time after a break, I'm more "timid".

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted

"Do electric guitars sound get better as they get played more?"​

Why yes. Yes they do.
You should be able to notice the betterness every other year of playing or so.

theleman

Tele-Meister
My electric guitars seem getting better sounding as I keep adjusting the pickup heights, and actions and truss rods, and restring etc. They get better all the time. And once it has been set to the ideal or my favourite sound, it is just matter of playing more and practice, I suppose.

Last edited:

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Reminds me of extraterrestrial life, always assumed to be more advanced than life here. Can't wait until they find a caveman situation somewhere.

SonicBlueByYou

TDPRI Member
I used to believe that age made a difference with electric guitars, but recent experience has made me question that. Other than possibly a 1953 Esquire owned by a friend, by far the finest telecaster I have ever played is a heavy relic CS 70th anniversary broadcaster made in November 2021. It unceremoniously kicked a 2006 Nocaster I had owned for years out of the #1 position.

I bought it new, and the honeymoon period is long over. It remains a very very special guitar.

And the finest Strat I have ever played? It left the Fender Custom Shop three months ago.

tonfarbe

Tele-Afflicted
I used to believe that age made a difference with electric guitars, but recent experience has made me question that. Other than possibly a 1953 Esquire owned by a friend, by far the finest telecaster I have ever played is a heavy relic CS 70th anniversary broadcaster made in November 2021. It unceremoniously kicked a 2006 Nocaster I had owned for years out of the #1 position.

I bought it new, and the honeymoon period is long over. It remains a very very special guitar.

And the finest Strat I have ever played? It left the Fender Custom Shop three months ago.
This only proves that a new superb guitar sounds better than an old mediocre guita.