Do Custom Shop Teles Need Setup?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bxlgotham, Mar 1, 2020.

Do new Teles, even Custom Shops, need setup?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Every guitar needs to be set up to suit a player's preferences.Some players like a setup that another player would hate.There can be many variations so there is no correct way to set up a guitar.Some players love super low action while others insist on having the action a bit higher to be able to get under the string.So the ideal setup applies to any level of guitar whether it's an entry level or boutique instrument.For me personally I like the wound strings to be set on the lower side and the plain strings a bit higher to be able to get under them and be able to bend easily.This requires setting the saddles at the right height and adjusting the truss rod.I also like my pickups as high as I can get them just before there is any magnetic pull.So once this has been established then the intonation has to be set with the correct saddle forward placement.Also weather changes will require re-setting the action to keep it where it is comfortable.So yes a custom shop guitar will need to be set up to meet these requirements just like any 'lower' level guitar.

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I hope this is intended as a joke...

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

no I 'm not Custom shop should mean ship shape and fit as a fiddle. Why pay for custom shop when they don't deliver .I've read the posts about issues with custom shop guitars and they don't inspire any trust in the Fender Custom Shop.
    Jimmy Vaughn does not play a custom shop for example, (do you know who Jimmy Vaughn is?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnuBH6VMWQU&t=1258s

4. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

Every brand new guitar (acoustic or electric) that I've purchased had too high an action direct from the factory. If you learn to do a proper setup yourself, you won't have to part with your guitar. It's not hard, though it requires some tools and patience. I consider it part of the bonding experience with any new guitar.

I recall only one guitar (in perhaps 3 dozen) that was immediately playable to my liking - and that was a used CS Tele. I consider that luck that the previous owner and I shared the same preferences. Things like saddle height, neck relief I consider user-adjustable (like the mirror and seat settings on the Ferrari). Level-frets is a quality issue (like getting a new Ferrari that needs a front-end alignment). Nut slot depth is borderline - they come from the factory way to too high because it's much easier to lower a slot that raise it.

5. ping-ping-clicka

yeah shu, o.k. good point, ,is the ferrari mechanic going to charge me or is ferrari going to cover the cost of the required changes.
    a guy was touring in the swiss alps and the transmission ceased to function, he and his wife flagged down a ride o the nearest phone called the nearest rolls royce deal informed them of problem, they sent a driver to pick him up take him to a good hotel and when the car had been repaired, he went to pay his bill rolls royce had covered the tab.

months pass, he notices that he has not received a bill for the transmission repairs, so he calls his dealership and asks about his bill, the Dealerships owner comes on the line "
    "I'm sorry sir there seems to be a misunderstanding, Roll Royce Transmissions don't break."

6. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Played a beautiful custom shop cabronita in a local shop. I don't think the Fender custom shop guys know how to do a setup. Beautiful guitar, almost zero setup from the factory.

7. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

do yourself a lifelong favor and learn to set`em up to your liking. it ain`t rocket sorcery

NightOwl likes this.
  8. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

The right spelling is Jimmie Vaughan and he does play Fender CS Strat's. He has a CS signature series, check the Fender CS webpage.

9. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

Didn't vote as I submit that it depends on the player and the builder. All but 2 guitars that I have had a setup.

Both that didn't need setup were- custom builds- 1-John English Fender Masterbuilt, and the other by our forum member Gil Yaron. (Preeb)-both new from the respective builder.

I differentiate setup from adjustment. To me a setup involves things other than tweaking the truss rod for climate. Such as, adjusting intonation, nut action, and string height ect...

Some players will not need a setup as they don't know what one is. I could be wrong but doubt Robert Johnson(or any other players from that era) ever had his guitar "setup"

10. ping-ping-clicka

koolaide I've had setups done and your right, set up for you may not mean the same to me. Are neck twists and bows, notes buzzing on certain frets, not being intonated properly part of the set up I should expect from a new guitar in the $2000.00 plus price range?
    When I mentioned Jimmy Vaughn not play a custom shop strat, this is the original pre custom shop I beleve that he was using.

I acknowledge that has access to tech who could take a standard $874.00 and set it up so that it would play ell enough fr Mr Vaughn. the new Jimmy Vaughn Custom shop is $4800.00. When my LIMITED EDITION 70'S TELE® CUSTOM RELIC® arrives
    should I expect to take it to a authorized fender service center for a setup ?

11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I have a used CS and a new one and they didn’t need setups.

12. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

IMHO- a professional grade guitar needing a "setup" from the get go is an idea needing much examination! Ok... let er rip.

koolaide likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is why the Web is both the greatest information and disinformation tool ever.

Is the guitar intonated? Are the frets dressed, leveled and crowned?

Is the nut cut properly for a factory spec setup?

Do the action and relief APPROXIMATE factory specs? (This can and does shift as the guitar acclimates to being a new guitar, to traveling in planes, trains and automobiles, to different temperatures and humidities.)

That's all Fender can do. From there, it's all individual preference.

this_grackle likes this.
  14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

(OT)

Holy frickin’ sh*t! He’s on FIRE!

15. ping-ping-clicka

Jimmy Vaughn is a tasty dude pickin it up and layin' it down, he's the one man marching band of soul drippin' gravy and biscuits. and he's so cool while doin' the do.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

If you bought it from Guitar Center, probably. If you to provide it from a high-quality shop with good tech, no. This isn't guitar-specific, really. The best shops will get you set up properly even for a relatively cheap guitar.

Edit: within reason of course.

17. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I bought a new CS Strat around 8 years ago- it played perfectly and I gigged with it for almost 2 years without need to adjust anything! I only sold it as the band split up.

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It's not so much that a guitar needs a set up as depending on preference the player needs the guitar to have a set up.

19. dave251

dave251 TDPRI Member

I do guitar setups for a living, along with building and designing. I was the in-house production engineer and quality assurance manager at Peavey's Leakesville MS guitar factory from Jan 96 thru June 99....(mine was the last signature on the reject tickets).

That being said, all factory guitars are made on a schedule, even the Custom Shop stuff. You can't make any money if it takes too long to build one. So a perfunctory setup is all you will get. You will also get, depending on the quality of manufacture, improperly cured wood, frets that don't line up correctly, truss rods that don't function...etc, etc. The improperly cured lumber is the culprit of "fret end sprout"....

FIVE targets of a "correct" setup, from my shop....LEVEL the frets, TR adjustment, nut height, bridge height and intonation. Figure this into your budget whenever you purchase a guitar....new or used. The problems mentioned are not a reason to not purchase the guitar....just plan on budgeting for it.

20. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

How could any builder know your personal preferrences?
    They can't, and they should not be expected to.
    I've had guitars that came pretty close, and some that needed a lot of work, but I've been playing long enought to tell if a guitar that I'm sitting down with is capable of meeting my personal specs.
    And there's nothing wrong with a guitar, at any price point, that needs a little tweeking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.