1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do carnies get a bad rap where you live?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Dec 27, 2010.

1. joedrII

joedrII TDPRI Member

This is a fascinating thread.

2. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

Cole brothers is a circus.
    Carnies and circuses people are two different cultures. Carnies work carnivals which are fairs with rides and a midway filled with rigged games of chance and sometimes a freak show.

Circus's may have some of the same elements but they are primarily putting on the circus show. Many of the people working on the circus are performers The guy selling you the popcorn could be the juggler or aerialist. Circus's use to have their own security to make sure pick pockets didn't work their crowds.

3. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

4. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

"There's two types of people in the world,Carnies and Marks.Which one are you?"
    Ron Bennington

5. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

so where you live the wimmenfolk are fair game then?

6. AM866

AM866 Tele-Meister

I was thinking the same thing. I had never heard a lot of this before, other than the odd reference in movies and television. Guess growing up where the circus never really came to town had a lot to do with it. It is interesting to pull the sheets off of the romanticized notion of the traveling, nomadic lifestyle, much like gypsies.

Come to think of it, the first I heard of the negative connotations attached to gypsies was in a thread on TDPRI some months ago.

Gee, I've lived a sheltered life :neutral:

7. AM866

AM866 Tele-Meister

Not sure I could differentiate between the two.

Hmmm, I got to get out more

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

If we don't beat them, they will take our wimmens. Anything less is simply an invitation for a carnie/local gals orgy?

This is you thinking logically??:lol:

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

No ... [​IMG]this one can sing !!!

10. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

so your wimmenfolk are just wandering around all aimlessly-
    perfect!

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

interesting, but that is circus stuff...

circus and carny are not the same at all. Very, very different.

12. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

The HBO series Carnivale depicts carnie life during the Depression. This functions as the background for the main theme - the struggle between good and evil. I gather that the makers went to a lot of trouble to ensure a good measure of historical accuracy.

And thank you for the link Penny. This helps us with those unfamiliar words, like "bally", that get used in the show but (oddly) are not findable through Google.

13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Whaaa!! So you're saying what prevents wimmens from being aimless (whatever that may mean) and gives them the knowledge of how to spend their time and who to spend it with comes from beating other guys up? What am I not understanding here?:lol: You know you could just skip the 'middle man' altogether, so to speak, and just start beating up the wimmens. That'd learn them :rolleyes:

What exactly are your wimmens up to in Hamilton that makes them so untrustworthy that you need to keep them so under control?:lol:

Given what I'm learning about the guys in Hamilton I'm guessing the wimmen there can't wait for the carnies to arrive.:D;)

14. Dr.TeleD

Dr.TeleD Banned

Seems everyone knows that people on the run are sometimes carnies. Shouldn't there be a CTF (Carney Task Force)? Seems like it'd be easy pickins.:twisted:

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

16. my56tele

my56tele Banned

So how do I find this place called Hamilton? Sounds like my kind of place; wenches aimlessly marauding around...

Her is the ultimate carney
    phil.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  17. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Depending on where you live...

When we lived in a small town, we really didn't have a choice. When they had the state fair, every one went and just "dealed" with the carnies".
    Compared to living in a bigger town, we don't have to go the little carnival setups anymore...and "deal" with the carnies...We just pay out the nose to Six Flags or the State Fair of Texas! :D

18. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

America was built and developed on the backs of the uprooted, restless roaming workers.

Carnies represent the final end of the line for this, sort of our our Manifest Destiny riding the Tilt-A-World over and over again and stopped in its tracks by the allure of Chinese cotton candy and fried Third World elephant ears.

what a load of crap, but hey, someone had to say it!!

/

19. prawnik

prawnik Tele-Holic

Where I live, just about everyone is a carnivore. Me too.

The current consensus seems to be that profiling someone based on what they choose to do is more acceptable than profiling someone based on who they were born as.

This makes some sense to me, just as there are some things people do to profile themselves.

20. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Mea culpa, and my apologies to the owners, management, staff, and customers of Coleman Brothers Carnivals for mistaking them for a Circus company.

btw, In my experience the Coleman Brothers Curse is fact, they do seem to be the most reliable predictor of torrential rainfall that I have ever seen :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.