Do Big Moments Define You or Does the Day to Day Define You?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I saw that animation, "Inside Out", where all the parts of personality are portrayed as individuals who argue with each other constantly.
There's "Brave Citizen Me", who wants to be a great guy, and widely admired.
There's "Cowardly Me", who wants to stay alive :lol:

:::
That's the problem you never know which one is going to win out. Sometimes one of them voices shouts. "Go peddle crazy somewhere else, we're all full up around here!"

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
Does the man make history or does history make the man? To me history makes the man. Those men who claim that they did it are just nothing more than arrogant fools.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
The reality is:
how many of us ever experience "life changing" scenarios like seen in the media or movies..... I know I may have gotten close at times but not really anything to write about.

What inspires me is when my kids or my grandkids make decisions or take actions on their own that make me think "that's exactly how I would handle it".

:)

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I guess I'll never know what defines me until I'm pushing up the daisies, then it won't matter.
There are 2 Scots concepts of it the better known one from Robert Burns...

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion.”​

And the old joke about "Hamish the Sheep [email protected]" who, despite a life peppered with events from rescuing kids from burning buildings, to single handedly rebuilding the village road that was washed away in a storm etc; spends one lonely night on the hills with a flock of sheep and a head full of curious temptation.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
By definition of definition, the day-to-day defines us. The big moments are parts of the day to day, so the fence bulges here and there. Our own definition of our own selves, which might be all that really counts, holds the big moments in front of its view, so we see them as definitional of us. An objective viewpoint would see us defined by our day-to-day, some of us with bigger big moments than others.

PoorNoodle

Tele-Meister
In my experience people simply have poor memories. We remember the big things and forget what happens day to day. We over estimate the impact of big things and under estimate the impact of little things. That is why I think creating and maintaining good habits in your life and relationships is what is most important over time.
My $0.02 YMMV

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
Hollywood loves a big turn - the anti-hero's metamorphosis into the hero, the regular joe/jane's realization and defining moment that shifts the momentum of the film, the villain who does good.

In my experience, it's the little moments throughout that define who we are in the big moments. In combat, no one really knows whether they will run toward the gunfire and chaos, or whether they will run away until it actually happens to them. Training until it's muscle memory helps for sure, but there's still either that spark or there's not. And that spark is defined by small moments over a lifetime that build into principled behavior that leads to character.

I'm not saying that big moments can't alter our trajectory of who we may become, but that's an after-the-fact change that we adapt our future selves around rather than a "molding in the moment".

Of course, that's just my $.02 that's probably worth about $.00001345 adjusted for inflation. Lol

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
No amount of preparation can beat blind luck. The bug on your windshield factored in ALMOST every contingency on his trip across the road.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
How you choose to live the day to day can certainly prepare you for the big moments.
Howdy 985....

In line with my earlier response and pondering my quite profound personal early life experiences I'd say the opposite 'can' also be true....and I think it's true for me.
For me....no amount of the 'day to day' could ever have prepared me for my 'big moments'.
These 'big moments' made me the person I am to this day.
Not the 'day to day' mundane routines.

I realize I'm in the minority here. :)
In my view....no right or wrong answer in this context as personal experience perspective will likely shape our answer.

But, that's just me....to each their own take on it.

Have a great day....

Last edited: