Do Big Moments Define You or Does the Day to Day Define You?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just a comment on some of the concepts expressed in this interesting thread.
The ideas of "brave" and "cowardly", in the face of some drama that confronts us.
Having been both, and old enough not to take myself too seriously, I've wondered about this.
My analysis is, that when I've been "brave", I have understood what needed to be done, and this understanding over-ruled my fear, and I acted.
But when I've been "cowardly" I have NOT understood what needed to be done, I've been confused or taken by surprise, and my fear ruled me. Not pleasant, but often life offers another chance, and you get the opportunity to act better. Pencils have erasers, after all. :)

:::
Once in a while I think one finds themselves in a situation that they may have even faced before, but falter because they can't fully process what's happening quickly enough. By the time they get it figured out, the situation has either resolved itself, or someone else has taken care of it.

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
In war of the worlds, Tom Cruise plays a pretty absent father who has been selfish and not a good father to his children. He hasn't put family first for many years, his children see him more as a sibling (and an errant one) but, during an invasion of aliens, he steps up and becomes a responsible adult.

Or the guy who all his life dedicates himself to being a good guy, kind and friendly, volunteers, does fund raisers, serves as a campus police officer, knows all the kids, does his best to give them good counsel, but on the day that a crazy shooter guy shows up, he is unable to storm the room and vanquish the bad guy, instead, he is stricken with indecision and is unable to move.
I believe that there is a bit of a false dichotomy in these two choices.

But for the alien invasion, the character Cruise plays is a bit of a ****bird. If the alien invasion never happens, there’s no big redemption, and we just wind up with a good for nothing knucklehead.

On the other hand, many folks show up to work every day at the same time, hold the door for their fellows, say please and thank you, have dinner on the table every night, help their kids with homework, read them a bedtime story, go to bed, get up, do it all again, and never have their mettle tested.

I’ll take that second guy all day, every day. I also like my odds with that guy being the one who actually heroes up.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
By the time they get it figured out...
I saw that animation, "Inside Out", where all the parts of personality are portrayed as individuals who argue with each other constantly.
There's "Brave Citizen Me", who wants to be a great guy, and widely admired.
There's "Cowardly Me", who wants to stay alive :lol:

:::

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
when I was a kid I was taught that your attitude at the precise moment of your death was what defined you

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
one thing I have come to over the years is that there are three kinds of people: people who run to the fire, people who run from the fire and people who freeze. I saw so many instances where perfectly great people exhibited these behaviors over and over and over again. I could predict who would do what after watching them for awhile.

I have come to believe that sometimes people interpret those different actions as being 'brave, smart, cowardly, and a million other descriptors.' I think that is just post narrative. The person who freezes is not a coward, he just freezes. If you are managing the situation, you have to move those people to something that will help a situation.

One narrative I have running through my head is that the best of us are the best every day. They do their thing and they have peace and they accomplish much. The rest of us are made for a moment where we show what we've got. I'm talking about the people who aim to be a positive force.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
This webcomic... Order of the Stick:

Superb stuff...
In one of the later installments(Not gonna show you! Read the whole thing! You can thank me later!) there's a
good comment kinda regarding the topic here(and I paraphrase):
"You are who you are on your worst day! Absolutely 100% true... but you also are who you are on the day after that
and the next, and the next...".

KennyWTelejazz

Tele-Holic
Is this man going to chop wood, or perhaps something far more sinister is in store for him? It is only after we know what he will do that we can form judgment.

If you are selling one of your guitars , this is definitely not the buyer you want showing up at your door :lol:

Also, if he happens to cut you off in traffic , under no circumstance are you to flip him the bird .. if you do you will have a lot more in common with Django Reinhardt than you already have now .🤟

Kenny

Last edited:

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
why-not-both-why-not.gif

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm guessing when Tom gets up in the morning he says, man it's truly great to be Tom Cruise!
Yep.
Right after hopping down from bed, using a stool, and climbing up a stool to look at himself in a mirror, he probably does say that

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
"Do Big Moments Define You or Does the Day to Day Define You?"

Most of the time "moments" are only noted in retrospect. The "big and day to day" are irrelevant. And "define you" depends on who is defining...the public, family, who it influenced or you yourself doing some soul searching of who you have been or wish to become as it is only you, the beholder of the said judgement.

Part of me, notes its doesn't matter because you can't help but do you. For many folks, the big moment is often clouded by the 5 F's, which are survival in nature...fight, flight, freeze, food and fornicate (food and fornicate are the longer term survival mechanisms). Otoh, there are times to be the terrifying monster that does horrifying nasty stuff to scare someone from doing something stupid and wake them up. And other times to be kind, compassionate and graceful.

However for many, it is difficult to get beyond the 5 F's, to be aware of moments in which to act with integrity regardless of the subsequent outcomes or opinions of dammnation or praise. So it's only you, who defines (judges) you...and that's the potential hell of it. LOL...but can you redeem yourself? Bahahaahaaa!

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yep.
Right after hopping down from bed, using a stool, and climbing up a stool to look at himself in a mirror, he probably does say that
You know I'd trade being reasonably tall for being whatever size Tom is if I could fly my own Honda jet around. You can't imagine how much study, time, and money are involved in being able to do that. Come to think of it, I think old Tom has about a million dollars for every one of those guitars you have. My little brother-in-law was 5' 2" tall and had some of the most gorgeous women you can imagine come and go in his life, he always left them, not the other way around. So, I'm thinking being Pinocchio ain't such a bad thing.