Do Big Moments Define You or Does the Day to Day Define You?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just spitballing here, but my feeling is that the everyday is what makes you. What you do in the big moment is, at least to some extent, predicated on that, but it is not predicted by it. There are certainly occasions when the big moment can allow for unexpected behaviour or a complete change of self, but in general, I’ll go with the everyday being the major factor.
The problem with responding in a big way, in a big moment, is that if you live long enough, you will be faced with many big moments. Sometimes things work out to your advantage during those big moments sometimes they don't.

It would be great if life were like a movie. In the movie The Searchers, after Ethan's epic adventure finding and returning Debbie to her home, he strides out into the setting sun walking like only John Wayne can, the music comes up, and it's the end. Presumably Ethan just goes away like smoke from a fire drifting on the wind.

Problem is, when we're twenty, forty, maybe even sixty, we can still save the day, because we're physically able to. Live long enough though, and there will come a time when life may present you with more than you are equipped to handle. We all hope we can escape the earth before we are faced with that, but it happens.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A final thought on big moments and how they define one. Never compare your own life to another's. If you do, you may excel on one level, but fail on another. Lots has been written about Tom Cruise, some of it not very good, some of it pretty good.

Mr. Cruise has had the best life has to offer. He can fly a P-51 Mustang, a Honda twin engine jet, ride wonderful motorcycles, drive wonderful cars and has had the company of some of the world's most beautiful women. His defining moments and ours are quite different.

I only present Mr. Cruise as an example. There are many in life we would not compare well to, if we only would admit it. Still, we are all human beings and have our moments whether they be great or not, is in the eyes of both ourselves, and our acquittances and loved ones.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Just a comment on some of the concepts expressed in this interesting thread.
The ideas of "brave" and "cowardly", in the face of some drama that confronts us.
Having been both, and old enough not to take myself too seriously, I've wondered about this.
My analysis is, that when I've been "brave", I have understood what needed to be done, and this understanding over-ruled my fear, and I acted.
But when I've been "cowardly" I have NOT understood what needed to be done, I've been confused or taken by surprise, and my fear ruled me. Not pleasant, but often life offers another chance, and you get the opportunity to act better. Pencils have erasers, after all. :)

:::

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Mr. Cruise has had the best life has to offer. He can fly a P-51 Mustang, a Honda twin engine jet, ride wonderful motorcycles, drive wonderful cars and has had the company of some of the world's most beautiful women.
yeah but ...he's that thing that travolta and mrs presley are

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
oh man, your whole family needs an audit!
my first exposure to that whole mess was as a 20-something student in minneapolis.

a young attractive female recruiter came up to me out of nowhere on the street and started complimenting me, saying I must be a male model, and telling me how good-looking i was. I of course knew this to be true ( :cool:), but then as she went on about her organization, I hightailed it to the nearby library (pre-internet, donchaknow) and learned all about it.

In the documentation I found from my research at the library- they described that recruitment process - to a tee

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
yeah but ...he's that thing that travolta and mrs presley are
you ever wonder how nic cage doesn't go "MAN!!!! HOW AM I *NOT* IN THIS NUTHOUSE??"

that reminds, me, i gotta make a point of seeing "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent"

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
What I believe is quoted in a Jackson Browne song:

Nothing survives
But the way we live our lives

I believe that the only thing that lasts is the impact we have on those around us. They are our only true legacy. When you help someone or teach them, you make the world a better place. When you hurt someone or trod on them, you make the world a worse place.

No one will remember you/me either way, but the good or bad you does lives on anonymously in the people we impact.

I've had big moments - I saved a kid from drowning when I was a teen; I flew badly wounded soldiers to a hospital in the USAF.

But I've had a million more small moments where I cared for someone who needed a little help. I tend to think those small moments add up to more than the big moments, but either way, nothing survives but the way we live our lives.

To quote a Western,

"Partner you know what's on the back of a poor man when he dies? The clothes of pride, and they are not a bit warmer to him dead then when he was a alive. Is that all you want Steve?"

"All I want is to enter my house justified."

Last edited: