Do any of you watch the Masters golf tournament?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the week of the Masters golf tournament played on perhaps the most beautiful, and demanding inland golf course in the world. I have been watching the tournament regularly since around 1983, and look forward to doing so every year.

The course is littered with the failed attempts at greatness by some of the best golfers in the world. Some have been tragic to watch. Sergio Garcia for instance after finally winning the Masters returns to card a 13 on a par 5 to end his hopes for a repeat! Jordon Spieth a young player who seemed to be on his way to greatness until his collapse at the twelfth hole at Augusta in April of 2016. He has never recovered from this even though he's won on other courses. The fear of collapse is always lurking.

I watched in disbelief as Jack Nicklaus won in 1986 what would be his final Masters at the age of 46! Players of the day all around them furiously jamming their games into reverse dropping like flies when he mounted his charge! Great stuff for the old guys right there. Perhaps Jack's finest hour.

The current crop of golfers who will vie for the championship are the best overall I've ever seen. Hitting unbelievable distance off the tee, making putts from unbelievable distance, and all have superb short games. This should be a great tournament!

t-ray, P Thought, Sounds Good and 9 others like this.
  2. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'll be watching. It's almost always great drama and my non-golfing wife and son watch it with me. There is something about the history of the event that is compelling. I also am a fan of the 4 or 5 tournaments prior to the Masters when all the International players start to come over to get acclimated. It's amazing competition-especially if weather enters the equation. Enjoy it!

dan1952, rcole_sooner and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If there's a golf course in heaven, I hope it's like Augusta National. I just don't want an early tee time.

Gary Player

P Thought, stxrus and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

When someone passes and they say, he's in a better place now, I think if you're a member of Augusta National, it's pretty hard to imagine being in any better place than your home course. :D

djh22 likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

They've weathered storms from those who just can't stand anyone having something all that nice all to themselves, but they have prevailed in the end! I hope they continue to do so.

6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I will be watching!!

The field is so tight this year. I would not surprise me if we had a first time winner which seems to be the pattern. And I would not be surprised if one of the old guard, Lefty, Tiger, Jordan, or someone else is in the hunt on Sunday.

FloInPA, rcole_sooner and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Last year Freddy Couples played very well for a while, finally ending up tied for 38th, but that is a grand finish for someone who was 58 years old at the time. If Lefty could just manage to hit two or three fairways a side, he might be a factor! :lol::lol:

FloInPA likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have watched it about as long, TD. I even watched the final round where Greg Norman fell apart in our car. We were driving to a concert and I used a little battery powered portable TV for the first and last time, had to keep finding new channels while we went in and out of TV reception.

This year will be a first: I’m traveling all day Friday and Saturday so will miss those rounds. I’ll be home for the last round though and am really looking forward to it. The Masters means “spring is here”.

9. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We watch every year, and have done since 1996, which was when Faldo stayed cool while Greg Norman collapsed on the last day. Our daughter was born in March of 1996, so the Masters was — with the time difference — one of the better late-night TV shows we ended up watching during those long nights with a newborn who is awake every couple of hours. Happy times!

Chip and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would if I was stuck somewhere where it was on, but I am usually too busy to watch that much TV.

It will be a rainy weekend, so if I can't do yard work, then I may watch some of it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm in the ''rite of spring'' camp. I don't even play golf, but I wouldn't miss at least watching Sunday afternoon. That part of the south is pretty this time of year, and Augusta is a nice slice of it (see what I did there).

P Thought, Bob M, Chip and 2 others like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I didn't mention poor Greg, but yes that was tragic to watch. I thought he was going to have to have Nick carry him off the green at eighteen, because the whole thing was just too much for the poor soul! It just shows that no matter how good, or how rich you are the pressure of the Masters can just cause a golfer to fold up like a jack knife. The Shark was turned into a minnow that day! He was the best golfer on the planet at times during his career. He was number one in the world for a very long stretch. I don't think he ever really recovered from that day either. When you test yourself against the best, there is always the possibility you will be found wanting. Best golfers, are kind of like best guitarist, there really is no such thing, because they are all so good, if you make just a little slip, those behind you will run over you, and leave spike marks on your behind.

P Thought, Stubee and Chip like this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My brother's a golf maniac - he used to shoot par golf regularly. I'm at best a casual golf fan - I broke 90 twice in my short time playing that soul-wrecking game... I played a lot in my teens and early 20s but haven't played since about 1992 and I think it's pretty unlikely I will again. I played golf like I play guitar - not good enough to be really consistently ON, but with enough great moments to make it fun. I'd just live for the half dozen great shots I'd hit in a round and not worry about how many others it took to get home. I live for those perfect musical moments on guitar too, and I just ignore the inevitable clams...

But my brother will call me sometime Saturday if it needs watching and then I'll usually tune in for the back 9 on Sunday. I enjoy it, but not that much. Any time they play Pebble Beach, though, I'm THERE. I played that course once in 1980 - I should say I walked/carted around it and hit a LOT of golf balls. I stopped counting at about 120. An absolutely brutal course but so incredibly beautiful. And frankly looks almost as good on a big hi-def TV because of how well they frame some of their shots. But yeah, Augusta's pretty too in that genteel southern way...

-Ray

Toto'sDad and rcole_sooner like this.
  14. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I tend to watch some of it and golf tourneys in general most every year.

I've never played a round in my life, I'm just fascinated at the ability and precision of the pros at putting that little tiny ball
    hundreds of yards downfield with such accuracy.
    Also watching golf always brings me good memories of my grandfather who was an avid golfer and not too shabby at it back
    in the day. He had a huge full trophy case to prove it!

stratofortress and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is Rickie Fowler’s fiancé going to be there wearing, well, anything?

Sure I’ll watch…

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

My wife and I have been to Pebble but not played it. I think Pebble and Augusta National epitomize golf for me. If I had those big bucks we always wish you had, I would belong to Augusta, and have the jet brought around once a week or so to play Pebble.

raysachs likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I'm pretty sure Ricky is pretty satisfied with being Ricky!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Always! As someone else mentioned, it's the official arrival of Spring. I tried and failed at golf, but still love the sport from a gallery perspective.

I would LOVE to see Fowler win! Definitely my current favorite.

19. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Strangely enough I started watching golf after tiger got into trouble with the ladies.Before that not at all but since then I do enjoy watching it and even know a few of the courses.

One thing I will never understand is how they can compare today's players against the players in the 70's,80's and 90's.The equipment is nothing like it was back then. Only sport I can think of that the basic equipment is improved almost every year,well maybe bowling balls also.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wouldn't exactly say I "played" it either, but I experienced a round of golf there. Glad I experienced it once...

-Ray

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.