1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do any of you bass and guitar players do a single head and different cabs?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Apr 13, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Just curious. I had played a Fender tube amp of some sort at music go round for bass a few weeks ago and my gosh I loved it. It was a head and a cab with 4x12 speakers. Then I played a Vintage SG copy guitar through it and it sounded really good.

My guitars don't sound that good through my current bass amps. I have used them before for guitar, live an recording but it's not my favorite tones. I have a Gen 3 rumble 40 and a Gen 2 rumble 100.

But I do have a 4x12 guitar speaker cabinet that i use for recording. (although currently I'm only using 1 speaker in it). I'm using a Vox Cambridge combo as the head to the cabinet.

I got to thinking it might be a nice way to introduce some tube tones into my bass and guitar. Cuz everything I'm using now is solid state. would need a bass speaker cabinet. Or just use it directly for recording bass.

Just a thought....

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I do not. I’m curious about the Hilbish amps but the Wattage for my normal bass amp is about 75x the Wattage of my guitar amp. Sure I’ve played my bass through a guitar amp but the speaker breaks too easily.

I do have a very small PJB Double Four desktop bass amp that is portable and I’ve taken it on trips with a guitar but it’s not ideal and certainly not gig or band volume.

A speaker designed for 200W or more will not give you the breathy sound you want from your guitar. Likewise it is pretty easy to ruin a guitar speaker with a bass bass f you’re not careful. Even my baritone Tele is hard on my guitar amp.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I have a '64 Fender Showman head 4 x 6L6 output is 8 Ohms.

Yes, it can do it all with different speaker cabinets.
    It sounds great with a Yamaha bass cab.
    I pull two of the power tubes, for half the power, and use a 16 Ohm 2 x 10 cabinet for guitar.
    I also have the original JBL 15" cab for the Dick Dale sound.

:cool::cool::cool:

FortyEight likes this.
  5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

@Killing Floor It was more of the idea to have two different cabs but one amp head that is a tube bass amp head. OR I guess vice versa, a tube guitar amp head that could be used for bass with a bass speaker cabinet and then a guitar speaker cabinet.

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I have a Tweaker 15 head, sounds fine through my 1x12 Epi Valve Jr cab.....only cab I own, actually...sounds WAY better than the Valve Jr head (of which the chassis is now in a VJr combo, can use as is or plug into the cab). I play my guitars and my ba through my Fender Rumble 25, works well for using the multi-fx unit, nice clean amp, loud enough.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Bass sounds great through most tube amps (though the speaker of course has to be up to the task).

I think the main problem is that bass and guitar have very different power needs. 15-30w is often fine for amplifying an electric guitar with a warm tube sound, but isn't enough to get the low frequencies of bass guitar moving at gig volume without getting too distorted. Something like a 50-100w tube amp would probably be enough to work all right with bass, but possibly be too loud (i.e. too clean) for electric guitar.

8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

For bass, yes. I have Avatar B210 and B115 cabs, and for smaller venues, I’ve taken on or the other to mate with my GK 400RB.

For guitar, typically not.

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

yea, i have 67 showman and 76 orange heads that i like to pair with either 2x12 carvin speakers in a cab or a 15 altec lansing in a cab. great sounds but i have to watch that i don't blow out windows! ha!

play music!

10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, the qmp typically doesn't care what you play through it, but speakers definitely do.

i have a Univox 100watt tube head from the late 60s early 70s that I could do that with, but it was very clean and very loud for guitar.

11. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I used to back in day. ‘66 Super Reverb head w 4/8 ohms out. Used two diff cabs, a 2x10 half open and an old Showman 1x15 tone ring closed back. Really likd that 1x15 setup cause it had some THUMP!

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Absolutely, and by design.

Consider full stack and half stack for example.

Masmus likes this.
  13. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Yes this^

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've used my champ clone as a bass amp at band practice, it has a DI out for the pa, the amp/15" bin is my stage monitor... sounds OK,,,:cool:

BWM Kong check strap on bass.JPG

15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was chasing the tube amp sound for my bass for a long time. I had a SWR hybrid head in the '90s that had a tube preamp. Then I moved on to Ampeg, which also produced a great tube sound. -- I used both for guitar as well with decent success. But in the last few years, I switched to class D SS for my Bass (I saw the light of Begantino, and it is heavenly). And have gone to an all-tube guitar specific amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.