1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do All New '68 DRRI Have Reverb Hum?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Vintage Fan, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

I've tried out four new '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amps at four different music stores. When the reverb is maxxed, all four have a noticable low volume hum.

It's not feedback, nor a buzz. Perhaps a 60 cycle hum; it's just a low volume bassy sounding hum when the reverb is maxxed. When the reverb is turned to zero, there is no hum. The hum occurs with both single coil & humbucker guitars & with various cords.

The hum is low volume and does not increase when turning the master volume up. For most players turning the amp up to 4 or more, or not sitting near the amp, the hum wouldn't be heard, but the low volume hum is still there. But for playing in a small home tv room at very low volume, and sitting near the amp, the low volume hum is very noticable. Same scenario when I tried out one of the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs at home.

Is this low level reverb hum a common thing with these new '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amps? What can be done to remedy this reverb hum?..thanks.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

try wrapping some copper shielding tape around the reverb tank.

3. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Holic

Who maxes the reverb on a Fender amp? Halfway is already more reverb than I could ever use!

robrob and RLee77 like this.
  4. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

65 deluxe reverb's do that also, so no worries, you activate all that cable in the back like an antenna when you turn up the reverb,

5. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Mine was, but i bet it was a dog, it had ton of issues and i sold it very quickly....

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't mean this to come across as an accusation or snotty but the DR is a gig amp. Little noises cannot be heard when playing at any decent volume and PA hiss and crowd talking swallow them even when not playing. Some noise is normal when turning the reverb up in every tube amp I've tried.

I can't imagine what useful sounds come when maxing the reverb on a DR. Seems like it would swallow everything up, but hey, it's your jam.

My suggestion, if you want to max out the reverb and play at very low volume at home, would be to get a Yamaha THR 10 (the reverb is way too pronounced for me even in the lowest setting) or Roland Micro Cube or the like. Or get a digital reverb pedal.

brogh and robrob like this.
  7. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree with Mart the Hat and MilwMark, the hum at max reverb is normal and isn't a problem.

viccortes285, brogh and fasteddie42 like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Even the old BF/SF amps hum cranked like that. I'm in the "who cranks the reverb that high?" camp.

9. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Holic

Duane Eddy is still alive, isn't he?

jonnyfez and schmee like this.
  10. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    True about the noise you won't even notice them at a gig, it' not the best amp for home use although it has some great sounds in it.

viccortes285 likes this.
  11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

"Doctor, doctor, when I stick this pencil all the way into my ear, it hurts! What should I do?"

robrob likes this.
  12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As is Dick Dale.

13. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

Two of the four new '68 Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb amps I've tried out have a loud static pop noise when turning them off. Is this common?

viccortes285 likes this.
  14. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

actually Duane Eddy used a big water tank for that reverb, or is that just a myth? of course he did not gig with a 20 foot water tank, or maybe he did, never seen the dude, but i like 40 miles of bad road,

15. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

It is perfectly normal for popping noise when put on Standby. On my 68 DR. Also wait till the tubes and speaker break in and it will be much quieter.

16. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

My 65 DRRI does it too - in some cases, if it's positioned against the wall in a rehearsal room and the reverb is turned up too high it will even start feeding back. Turning off the reverb kills the feedback. It's just a part of the reverb circuit I think, you're adding length to the signal as well as running it through some vibrating springs. It's going to pick up noise.

My external reverb tank is even worse at high levels.

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

for $1000 new there should be no hum. Several of my friends have already replaced the reverb tanks and still have some hum. They keep the reverb a tad less than they want to eliminate it.

18. viccortes285

This should help I hope

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would think that's because it's just a fact of audio life, not a fault in the circuit. I always wonder in what settings people are playing where "noise" actually creates problems.

20. viccortes285

Fender had a problem with installing the Reverbtanks backwards which causes the condition you discribed. Carefully unplug and
    Flip unit 180. It fixes the problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.