Do All New '68 DRRI Have Reverb Hum?

Vintage Fan

Tele-Meister
I've tried out four new '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amps at four different music stores. When the reverb is maxxed, all four have a noticable low volume hum.

It's not feedback, nor a buzz. Perhaps a 60 cycle hum; it's just a low volume bassy sounding hum when the reverb is maxxed. When the reverb is turned to zero, there is no hum. The hum occurs with both single coil & humbucker guitars & with various cords.

The hum is low volume and does not increase when turning the master volume up. For most players turning the amp up to 4 or more, or not sitting near the amp, the hum wouldn't be heard, but the low volume hum is still there. But for playing in a small home tv room at very low volume, and sitting near the amp, the low volume hum is very noticable. Same scenario when I tried out one of the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverbs at home.

Is this low level reverb hum a common thing with these new '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amps? What can be done to remedy this reverb hum?..thanks.

Last edited:

wanderin kind

Tele-Meister
65 deluxe reverb's do that also, so no worries, you activate all that cable in the back like an antenna when you turn up the reverb,

brogh

Staff member
Mine was, but i bet it was a dog, it had ton of issues and i sold it very quickly....

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't mean this to come across as an accusation or snotty but the DR is a gig amp. Little noises cannot be heard when playing at any decent volume and PA hiss and crowd talking swallow them even when not playing. Some noise is normal when turning the reverb up in every tube amp I've tried.

I can't imagine what useful sounds come when maxing the reverb on a DR. Seems like it would swallow everything up, but hey, it's your jam.

My suggestion, if you want to max out the reverb and play at very low volume at home, would be to get a Yamaha THR 10 (the reverb is way too pronounced for me even in the lowest setting) or Roland Micro Cube or the like. Or get a digital reverb pedal.

brogh

Staff member
True about the noise you won't even notice them at a gig, it' not the best amp for home use although it has some great sounds in it.

wanderin kind

Tele-Meister
actually Duane Eddy used a big water tank for that reverb, or is that just a myth? of course he did not gig with a 20 foot water tank, or maybe he did, never seen the dude, but i like 40 miles of bad road,

viccortes285

Tele-Afflicted
Two of the four new '68 Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb amps I've tried out have a loud static pop noise when turning them off. Is this common?

It is perfectly normal for popping noise when put on Standby. On my 68 DR. Also wait till the tubes and speaker break in and it will be much quieter.

kubiakl

Tele-Meister
My 65 DRRI does it too - in some cases, if it's positioned against the wall in a rehearsal room and the reverb is turned up too high it will even start feeding back. Turning off the reverb kills the feedback. It's just a part of the reverb circuit I think, you're adding length to the signal as well as running it through some vibrating springs. It's going to pick up noise.

My external reverb tank is even worse at high levels.

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
for $1000 new there should be no hum. Several of my friends have already replaced the reverb tanks and still have some hum. They keep the reverb a tad less than they want to eliminate it.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Several of my friends have already replaced the reverb tanks and still have some hum. They keep the reverb a tad less than they want to eliminate it.

I would think that's because it's just a fact of audio life, not a fault in the circuit. I always wonder in what settings people are playing where "noise" actually creates problems.

viccortes285

Tele-Afflicted
Fender had a problem with installing the Reverbtanks backwards which causes the condition you discribed. Carefully unplug and
Flip unit 180. It fixes the problem.