do all amps break up at volume?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarmoron, Jun 12, 2019.

1. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I had forgot about the Super Twin, those and the UL Twin Reverbs are two amps I wouldn’t even want to try to push into overdrive. I think the UL Twins were something like 135 watts, I don’t remember the rating for the Super Twin but I’m thinking 160 watts. The preamps were both designed to stay clean too so unless you were in another room or did something to mute them some by the time you got them close to OD they would be so loud you probably couldn’t tell much about how they even sound.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I recall 180 watts for the Super Twin, but at that volume what's 20 watts or so?.
    Al

tombob likes this.
  3. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Zombiwoof that sounds right, I couldn’t remember for sure. It’s been a while since I’ve been around a Super Twin.
    I love the way the Super T sounds, I’ve always wished they would have used the preamp side in a 45 watt amp. They had a big, warm tone I just never could get one up to it’s sweet spot, they’re just too loud, not to mention heavy as a ship anchor.

Ted Nugent played at a music festival around here a once and was using 4 Super Twins with a 2x12 (looked like BF Bandmasters or Bassman cabs) under each one. It was a outdoor venue and still so loud it made your head feel like it was going to burst lol.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

People that think a Twin Reverb stays clean all the way up should try one of mine.
    If you do have one that stays clean full up, check the plate voltage. Some SFTRs were lower voltage than the blackface 450 or so.
    Look at the schematics you'll see it there.
    Haven't plugged into an ultra linear or reissue for so long I don't know what those do.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

After thinking about the name of this thread I can say on a technicality that many solid state amps don’t really “breakup” in the traditional sense people usually mean it. I’ve heard quite a few SS amps that go from clean to clipping into nasty distorted tone.
    I know that’s hyper technical nitpicking but this thread is all in good fun anyway.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

When you go to a city dump and they charge your $15 up to a certain weight then $1 per lb over that weight... if you only pay the $15 you have short changed yourself and may wonder how much more garbage you could have brought.

Same concept....

Show me an amp that doesn't "eventually break up" then I'd say that amp is not using all of it's power to it's full potential! You may always wonder how much "clean power" it wasn't giving you access to.

tombob likes this.
  7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I understand what you mean but so many solid state amps just sound bad when they go past their clean power, they just clip and sound nasty. To be honest since Ibanez came out with the ts808 TubeScreamer where and if a amp breaks up isn’t nearly as big of a deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.