Do a lot of people use 9's on Telecasters?

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
I used to use 9s on Fenders as a matter of course but since I bought a baritone 28" scale running 13-68 and a P-Bass I'm shifting to tens on the Strat, Tele and JTV59n

MoHump

TDPRI Member
I decided over the past week or so that I needed a Telecaster, notwithstanding the fact I already another perfectly fine guitar that I like a lot. Go figure.

When I went shopping I was somewhat surprised to find that they come from Fender with 9-42 string gauges. Do a lot of people actually use 9's on their Tele? And if so, if that a new(ish) trend?

My previous exposure to Telecasters was more than a decade ago and my memory may be tricking me but I thought they used to come with a 10-46 set from the factory and that 10's or 11's where what 90% of players used.

Not sure why I'm asking other than curiosity. I bought one and left the factory 9-42 set on there and it plays really nicely. Sounds good although I still need to figure out pickup heights, amp settings, which pick to use, etc.

On my other guitar, also a 25-1/2" scale length, I use a 9.5-44 set. It's an Ibanez and came with 10-46, then I tried a 9-42 set on there and it felt flabby, sounded thin and plinky and just generally made me think 9's kind of stink (for my playing). But my new Player Tele seems to love the 9's.
Mostly use 9's on all of my teles and strats; that way there is a consistent feel when I play one of them.

robinrockus

TDPRI Member
I decided over the past week or so that I needed a Telecaster, notwithstanding the fact I already another perfectly fine guitar that I like a lot. Go figure.

When I went shopping I was somewhat surprised to find that they come from Fender with 9-42 string gauges. Do a lot of people actually use 9's on their Tele? And if so, if that a new(ish) trend?

My previous exposure to Telecasters was more than a decade ago and my memory may be tricking me but I thought they used to come with a 10-46 set from the factory and that 10's or 11's where what 90% of players used.

Not sure why I'm asking other than curiosity. I bought one and left the factory 9-42 set on there and it plays really nicely. Sounds good although I still need to figure out pickup heights, amp settings, which pick to use, etc.

On my other guitar, also a 25-1/2" scale length, I use a 9.5-44 set. It's an Ibanez and came with 10-46, then I tried a 9-42 set on there and it felt flabby, sounded thin and plinky and just generally made me think 9's kind of stink (for my playing). But my new Player Tele seems to love the 9's.
I use 10-52 Heavy Bottom Strings by Thomastik-Infield. To me, the whole point of playing a Tele or a Strat is the thump of the low string(s) and the snap of the high string(s). I like thick, huge chords. And when I play low notes, I like them to sound (almost) like a bass. That's why Fender Bassman amps with a reverb unit were so popular back in the day. THUMP and SNAP.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
I use 10-52 Heavy Bottom Strings by Thomastik-Infield. To me, the whole point of playing a Tele or a Strat is the thump of the low string(s) and the snap of the high string(s). I like thick, huge chords. And when I play low notes, I like them to sound (almost) like a bass. That's why Fender Bassman amps with a reverb unit were so popular back in the day. THUMP and SNAP.
I use the cobalt heavy bottoms by ernie ball 10-52. I recently changed the strings on one of my guitars after *8* years, there was only a marginal improvement. Those cobalt strings last a long time....

JBurton

Tele-Meister
Though it really comes down to the players hands, touch, competence and personal preference, I’ve always preferred 9-42 for country pickin on my swamp ash vintage-style partscaster, and 10-46 on my ‘06 alder American Series for rock/jazz/blues.
On the other hand, I’m not man enough for 11’s.
Unless you are being trained by a strict and cruel taskmaster of a music coach, use what feels right for you.

Indian Joe

Tele-Meister
Different guitars do better with certain sizes & even certain brands. SIT strings boxes up sets for me to sizes I ask for -9 1/2; 11 1/2, 16, 26, 36, 48. They work really well on my mahogany set neck humbucker Carvins & Hamer, especially as our original songs cover a variety of sounds & styles. Pure nickel SIT 10’s on my Kiesel semi-hollow, & on my Carvin Contour for slide. The rest of the herd get 9 1/2-44’s.

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
That seems akin to asking people who put mayonnaise on a sandwich what complaints they have about mustard.
ah but my friend I prefer mayo..... so the statement should be "that's akin to asking people who put mustard on their sandwich what complaints they have about mustard..."... correct..?..lol

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Different guitars do better with certain sizes & even certain brands. SIT strings boxes up sets for me to sizes I ask for -9 1/2; 11 1/2, 16, 26, 36, 48. They work really well on my mahogany set neck humbucker Carvins & Hamer, especially as our original songs cover a variety of sounds & styles. Pure nickel SIT 10’s on my Kiesel semi-hollow, & on my Carvin Contour for slide. The rest of the herd get 9 1/2-44’s.
I can understand using 10-46's on acoustics.. but I do Not think I would enjoy them on my electrics.... and I would possibly use D"addarios on my acoustics but Not on my electrics... on all my Fenders I ONLY use Fender strings.. and on my Non Fender electrics I only use GHS Boomers...
I used to use Ernie Balls 08-38's years ago.. but the high E always busted.. so I quit Ernies.. a long time ago...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just one guy, but I use Twelves on everything tuned to open G tuning which would be everything. I had to find a tuning low enough to match my esteem and singin' stal"

Stratocast

Tele-Holic

I think the fact that Fenders come from the factory with 09's now should tell us something...
these guys.... being experts .....have figured out the BEST strings to use on their guitars.. I trust them..

you will also notice that ALL Fender Tele's and Strat's. .come with
Bullet ends as well... another thing we can learn from. the experts.... why so many choose to use non bullet ends strings on Fenders I'll never know.. it's a travesty.... why?.. to save a few bucks?..

MogwaiBoy

TDPRI Member
I think the fact that Fenders come from the factory with 09's now should tell us something...
these guys.... being experts .....have figured out the BEST strings to use on their guitars.. I trust them..

Or 9's use less resources to mass produce, transport and handle, by virtue of being thinner and lighter. Being only bulletpoint #863 on the Fender Bean-counter's cost cutting list, it's not a biggie, but, when you are dealing with long, thin strings of steel by the shipping container full, it all adds up. Sorry, that's the Fender I know (and I still love them).

Or on my non-cynical side thinks it's probably that 9's feel easier to play when testing in the shop, and the increased playability might help sales.

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
EB 12-56's. Not Slinky. Works for me. I do my own set-ups, also.
I'm new to playing stringed instruments. Coming up on 4 yrs. so I try different brands. I find it difficult to remember what I have on my guitars, so I tape what I have on the backside.
Tele strings.jpg
I was want to up to 13's, but I think these are stiff enough. I worked up to 12 from 9's thinking my fingers would strengthen. They did! I am nearing 70 years old and am amazed how great my health is. I bend notes like a fool. Often stopping to see if a digit is bleeding. So far so good. I am using Rock Hard SS Picks. I am heavy handed, and quite an aggressive player. Taint broke a string yet! (tho seems I should had)
I do have a box full of EB Slinky 10-42 sets here at home.

Canadian_Fender

TDPRI Member
I used to have Fender American pro II (the roasted pine). It had 9’s. Felt great. I have 10’s on my AO 60’s tele. Feels great too!

76standard

Tele-Meister

I use 9's on my Tele, Les Paul Standard and Washburn 335 copy. The only guitar that I use 10's on is my Strat. No particular reason why. Might need to explore setting it up with some 9's. Could make string buying easier. As to the brand of strings, I play D'addario or Ernie Ball. I'm sure some will have a discerning enough ear to hear the subtle differences. I do not.

76standard

Tele-Meister
I'm new to playing stringed instruments. Coming up on 4 yrs. so I try different brands. I find it difficult to remember what I have on my guitars, so I tape what I have on the backside.
View attachment 1025315
I was want to up to 13's, but I think these are stiff enough. I worked up to 12 from 9's thinking my fingers would strengthen. They did! I am nearing 70 years old and am amazed how great my health is. I bend notes like a fool. Often stopping to see if a digit is bleeding. So far so good. I am using Rock Hard SS Picks. I am heavy handed, and quite an aggressive player. Taint broke a string yet! (tho seems I should had)
I do have a box full of EB Slinky 10-42 sets here at home.
I put a piece of paper with the date I installed the strings, along with the gauge of strings, inside my guitar case. At 67 years old I need all the help I can get remembering things.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
9s on a Fender scale-length guitar are like 10s on a LP and totally normal and common, as the thread indicates. Additionally, the single most important player (IMO) currently alive on Earth uses a 9-42 set (and 9.5s on Gibson-scale guitars) so it must be a great, great choice. I refer, of course, to myself. As always, everyone should do what I do.

big jilm

TDPRI Member
I use 8.5’s on my Teles. I play with a reasonable amount of gain. I’ve learned that a light touch with 3-4mm picks and light strings is a winning combo for my hands.