Dns Registrar Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by src9000, Mar 25, 2016.

1. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a friend with a small business who is planning to put up a website. She isn't ready for that yet, but wants to reserve her name. Any Recommendations?

I suggested Namecheap.com or Network Solutions after a little research, but I can't vouch for any service since I've no experience with them.

Thanks,

2. src9000

Anybody?

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I always used GoDaddy because of the commercials...:D

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm partial to the top tier firms such as Verisign, Network Solutions and later GoDaddy with bias that comes from once being an ISP sysop, and the days when they hosted the root DNS servers. I'm quite sure Verisign still does.

When I advise people I notice they get good customer service from those leaders. One US company that has good service and live chat with responsive humans is Catalog.com aka WebHero. They were an early player hosting commerce site, are still in us (OK???).

If you forget my bias that comes from years at this, it's still true that it appears to be a you get what you pay for.

Another great and stable solution for a small business is just get an Office 365 package that does all you might want. I see more and more use the SharePoint online part for their web presence but that still might not be same as a basic small business web site.

6. src9000

We've looked at wix. They are not a certified registrar.
    And while wix allows you to make beautiful web sites, including mobile sites, it has limits that she wasn't ready to think about.

One of her fears is losing her name if she decides to move to another host.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Glad you researching ..

8. src9000

I'm in the same boat. Though, I did forget about Verisign. I'll also look at O365.

The service component took GoDaddy and Namecheap out of consideration. Catalog.com sounds good.

9. src9000

GoDaddy used to be very good. Seems that their service has gone done the last year or so.

10. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

There may be better ones out there, but I've used namecheap for many years for domain names and I have no complaints. They've always been reliable and their tech support is quite good. For hosting, I currently really like Dreamhost, but again there are probably other good ones out there.

Personally, I'd avoid Godaddy like the plague for either hosting or domain names. They've always been the bottom of the barrel and they constantly try to up-sell their customers on more products and services, even when you're just trying to navigate your account. And a couple years ago when I had to admin a website hosted there, their database servers were so slow I eventually gave up even trying to run a CMS.

In general, I suggest keeping your web hosting and domain name registrations with separate companies, then its easy to switch hosting when you find out that the renewal is three times as expensive the initial sign-up price. Otherwise you'll have to go through the horrible process of transferring your domain names when you switch.

src9000 likes this.
  11. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I've always used godaddy for handling our domains. For our hosted cart based website we use Bigcommerce.

12. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I've used Network Solutions and am happy with them. I have a question though...I'm thinking of using Wix for another website because I can just register the name there rather than register it with Network Solutions and then move it to Wix...but is there any disadvantage to registering with Wix instead of Network Solutions?

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

amplifiedhermit is very correct here. Keep the hosting and domain registration separate, and preferable have an email contact that is separate from each.

The reason to do this is that if for any reason you want to get away from the current host, you do not need to transfer the registration. You just need to use the registrar's tools to point to the new host.

Tele1966 likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Golden advice there, I'd +1 to the OP for all that.

Get them set up with Netfirms.com for URL then point it to wherever hosting you use.

If they are starting out and just need an info page that acts as their business brochure then get them a free account on wordpress.com and point the URL to that site. Later they can upgrade to something there or elsewhere (and just repoint the URL).

I've done the 'from bare iron' hosting where I install the operating system, databases, and hosting software plus hand coding portions of a site and just have them pick a template that is close to what they want on wordpress.com and get started.

What makes a website is content, colors, and artwork/photography. Customers want something that loads fast so avoid java and flashy things. Users want to know what you carry and what hours you are open.

15. src9000

I know wix uses network solutions, they aren't a certified registrar. It's not clear to me if they'd let you move your domain if/when you want to move.

I like the idea of keeping the services with separate companies.

16. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I completely agree to keep domain registration separate from hosting. I've had extremely good service and results from godaddy registering about fifty domains over the years. What's the beef with godaddy? They have a great user interface and except for the annoying non-800 tech support, the customer service is A+.

17. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I setup a new site with Network Solutions several months ago and have been pretty happy. Considered using GoDaddy but something about their site and marketing just turned me off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.