DNGD - '82 LP Standard and Partscaster

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
As in, Dual New Guitar Day.

Pics or it didn't happen:

stand_n_cast.jpg

A buddy of mine offered each of these guitars to me at different times, and last February offered a package deal on them. Like an idiot, I himmed-and hawwed about them. They were well below market value but still not cheap, and I don't need any more guitars...

Well, my b-day is in a couple of weeks. Also, I recently finished college and planned on doing something special or nice, but instead go nailed with 55-hr weeks for a whole month. Any excuse is a good excuse, right? RIGHT? So I told him last time I saw him that I was ready to pull the trigger. Today I did...

The Crown Jewel is of course the '82 LP Standard:

82standard.jpg

Kitchen scale says 9lbs, 7oz but it feels lighter. Not exactly pristine but "very good player grade", which doesn't bother me a bit. I have an LP Special that I always feel is "too nice to play". Hopefully this one will have a better fate.

My buddy bought this in the mid-early 80s from the original owner, and it's spent most of that time in the chainsaw case. Original owner also replaced the bridge pickup with "something better" (his words) but we don't know what it is. When I change the strings I'll pull it out and flip it over. Very nice playing guitar, sounds like an LP. I've always liked this black-n-cream color scheme the most on an LP. It's subtle. Serious. Understated.

Could use a fret dressing event somewhere down the road but it plays and sounds wonderful. Oh, and new strings because they're probably 40 years old 🤪

And then, zhe Partscaster:

pcast.jpg

Honestly, the more I thought about this package deal over the months, the more excited I started getting about this guitar. I've been on an LP and LP-type guitar kick for a number of years. Like it or lump it I think I'm very much a Strat Guy. I have my old 90's Squier II Strat and one remaining beleaguered Affinity Strat (I'll probably sell), but I think it was time for a nice one for a change. I was having a hard time finding a MIM Strat during the u-know-wut, and my buddy mentioned that he could part with this one. I had played this one sometime in the winter and it seemed pretty alright. He built it in the mid-90s. Ash body, nitro finish, ebony FB, American Fender PU's and Strat Plus bridge, Grover tuners, Graphtech nut and saddles, molded case. Great recipe, and it doesn't disappoint!

I'll admit that it takes me a little while for my ears and hands to calibrate to new gear, and it'll honestly be a week or two before I have a final verdict. Yet the first thing that smacks me in the face about this guitar is that it's just... balanced. It's bright but not shrill, it's got thickness but it's not muddy, and it's got some bass but it's not boomy. Little strings aren't overpowered by big strings. Chords, lead runs, arpeggios... everything sounds just right. Neck is very comfortable, and he does incredible setups on guitars. Seems mildly strange buying someone else's partscaster, but there's no logical reason not to. I've bought other people's hotrods before, so there's that.

I played the Strat first, for probably an hour and a half. Then I pulled out the Gibson and had some fun with it, but it was probably half an hour before it went back in the case and the Strat came back out. Maybe this tells me something.

I haven't even put new strings on anything yet!

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Very nice! Les Pauls look so much better without the pickguards; 'specially the black ones.
Beautiful guitars! I gotta take the opposite view. I love the pickguards and put them on guitars that didn't originally come with them. A classic look compared to the modern rock look without a pickguard.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful guitars! I gotta take the opposite view. I love the pickguards and put them on guitars that didn't originally come with them. A classic look compared to the modern rock look without a pickguard.
I’m with you. Love how the pickguard looks myself

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
As in, Dual New Guitar Day.

Pics or it didn't happen:

View attachment 1013930

A buddy of mine offered each of these guitars to me at different times, and last February offered a package deal on them. Like an idiot, I himmed-and hawwed about them. They were well below market value but still not cheap, and I don't need any more guitars...

Well, my b-day is in a couple of weeks. Also, I recently finished college and planned on doing something special or nice, but instead go nailed with 55-hr weeks for a whole month. Any excuse is a good excuse, right? RIGHT? So I told him last time I saw him that I was ready to pull the trigger. Today I did...

The Crown Jewel is of course the '82 LP Standard:

View attachment 1013933

Kitchen scale says 9lbs, 7oz but it feels lighter. Not exactly pristine but "very good player grade", which doesn't bother me a bit. I have an LP Special that I always feel is "too nice to play". Hopefully this one will have a better fate.

My buddy bought this in the mid-early 80s from the original owner, and it's spent most of that time in the chainsaw case. Original owner also replaced the bridge pickup with "something better" (his words) but we don't know what it is. When I change the strings I'll pull it out and flip it over. Very nice playing guitar, sounds like an LP. I've always liked this black-n-cream color scheme the most on an LP. It's subtle. Serious. Understated.

Could use a fret dressing event somewhere down the road but it plays and sounds wonderful. Oh, and new strings because they're probably 40 years old 🤪

And then, zhe Partscaster:

View attachment 1013935

Honestly, the more I thought about this package deal over the months, the more excited I started getting about this guitar. I've been on an LP and LP-type guitar kick for a number of years. Like it or lump it I think I'm very much a Strat Guy. I have my old 90's Squier II Strat and one remaining beleaguered Affinity Strat (I'll probably sell), but I think it was time for a nice one for a change. I was having a hard time finding a MIM Strat during the u-know-wut, and my buddy mentioned that he could part with this one. I had played this one sometime in the winter and it seemed pretty alright. He built it in the mid-90s. Ash body, nitro finish, ebony FB, American Fender PU's and Strat Plus bridge, Grover tuners, Graphtech nut and saddles, molded case. Great recipe, and it doesn't disappoint!

I'll admit that it takes me a little while for my ears and hands to calibrate to new gear, and it'll honestly be a week or two before I have a final verdict. Yet the first thing that smacks me in the face about this guitar is that it's just... balanced. It's bright but not shrill, it's got thickness but it's not muddy, and it's got some bass but it's not boomy. Little strings aren't overpowered by big strings. Chords, lead runs, arpeggios... everything sounds just right. Neck is very comfortable, and he does incredible setups on guitars. Seems mildly strange buying someone else's partscaster, but there's no logical reason not to. I've bought other people's hotrods before, so there's that.

I played the Strat first, for probably an hour and a half. Then I pulled out the Gibson and had some fun with it, but it was probably half an hour before it went back in the case and the Strat came back out. Maybe this tells me something.

I haven't even put new strings on anything yet!
I really like the Finish on the black les paul, almost looks metallic? Or is that just wear. Anyway, congrats.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a fan of naked LP's, but the black and cream look great together on that one. I'd leave the pickguard on. I also love the uncovered bridge pup!