Dlx Nashville Tele - a little odd, not the most beautiful, BUT..

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jun 4, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have to agree....not the most beautiful.......SECOND most beautiful, after mine! :)
    I run the full Palo Duro neck and bridge pickup set, as well as a Strat-style middle Ryan at Bootstrap made for me......they are simply GREAT pickups, in spite of the fact that they are so reasonably priced. I have the "standard" three-way Tele switch, controlling neck and bridge, and added a mini-toggle to bring in the middle when wanted.
    And....with your white pickguard, I like the white p/up cover! sunday 102.JPG

DHart likes this.
  2. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I posted here recently about my new Fret King Country Squire Semitone Special, it has much the same configuration except it has a PAF in the neck that can be rolled down to a single coil. Since I've had this guitar I've barely touched the others, don't really need my Strat as this can cover the 2 quack positions, and the middle and a neck imitation, it has a Tele bridge sound (I've never used the neck pickup in Tele's) and I can use the neck humbucker if I need a Les Paul/ES335 type of sound. Obviously if I was going for EXACT sounds I'd need more than one guitar but for messing around this covers everything.

I love the Nashville Tele's, they're actually what influenced me to get the Fret King!

DHart and nojazzhere like this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Ray... this isn't a guitar that I bought due to NEED, it's just a guitar that I wanted to try. And turns out that I'm really loving it!

For Fenders, my stable includes 12 Teles and 4 Strats.

The Nashville gives a slight tonal variation with Tele bridge pickup and Strat middle pickup combined - which does sound a lot like a Strat in position 2.

Position 3 is pure middle-pickup Strat tone (which I really love!).

And, the neck pickup being a very clear and bright Tele neck position pickup is quite a joy, as well.

Kind of enjoyable (not necessary, for me though) having all that in ONE Telecaster.

Of course, I still love the Strats, but apparently I'm enjoying the Teles most of the time!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Owenmoney and raysachs like this.
  4. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another Nashville Tele wiring option is to use the scheme from the Nashville B-Bender model. You get:

bridge
    bridge & middle
    bridge & neck
    neck & mddle
    neck

You give up middle on it's own & I seldom used that option. No push/pull pots or toggle switches. That's what I use on the guitar in my avatar photo. I also swapped out the "standard" Tele neck pickup for an underwound P-90 from Zhangbucker. It's a very versatile guitar.

I can post the wiring diagram if anyone wants it.

DanDII and DHart like this.
  5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yeah, it looks fine to me as well. In fact the middle pickup seems to match the body finish pretty close as far as I can tell.

Do what you want, but a chrome middle pickup seems like it’d be too much and a Black pickguard with black pickups would completely change its visual character for me.

I’d keep it as is if it were mine, but to each their own I guess...

DHart likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Sounds like an interesting option. However, I really LOVE the tone from the middle Strat pickup alone. It is a big favorite of mine. I'm pretty content with the wiring as is.

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I think you're right - leaving it as is will be just fine.

AxemanVR likes this.
  8. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Great Tele.
    Here's what I would do:
    I'd put a red cover on the middle Strat pickup, THEN make the tone pot a blender with a red chicken head knob.
    But that's just me....
    :)

DHart likes this.
  9. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think the OP's Nashville looks just fine with the white middle cover.

Here's mine... I have since installed a black middle cover, black on mine looks way better.

100_2535.jpg

10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Your finish definitely calls for a black guard... and a black cover on that middle pup! Very nice.

I have one similar to yours...

American Special
    [​IMG]

galaxiex likes this.
  11. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Cool !! That's one sweet axe !!
    It is totally awesome the way you have customized it to your own exacting specifications
    Tone to the bone !!
    I personally have no issue at all with the color of the pickups

DHart likes this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thanks, mrmousey.

I absolutely love Fender Teles and Strats - they play so well, and sound so good.

And, the easy ability to tweak, mod, customize, mix & match components, is the sweetest whipped cream on the top of an already awesome dish!

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I agree about the white middle pickup. It looks out of place on the otherwise dark sunburst model with black pickguard... not quite sure what they were thinking there...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

jvin... YES, thank you, I finally got around to your suggestion to switch the leads to get Neck + Bridge together, on the 5-way switch. I did this first on my Triple Tele and loved the result so much that I just did it on my Nashville Deluxe, and on one of my four Strats. AWESOME suggestion - thank you.

And, I have a Custom Strat build that I'm starting on next week, which will be a "Triple Tele Strat"! (How's THAT for a twist?)

Pickups will be Palo Duro A5 6.1k bridge pickups at the neck and middle positions, and a CS Nocaster A3 6.9k bridge pickup at the bridge position. All angled the same as Tele bridge pickup is angled - just like a Telecaster "Triple Tele", but it will be a Stratocaster "Triple Tele".

And, yes indeed, I will be wiring it to include Neck + Bridge together on position 4 of the 5-way switch! Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    galaxiex likes this.
  15. Hey_you

Hey_you TDPRI Member

"But, the purpose of this thread is to express my admiration for the tonal options this guitar brings."
    Was the tone quality that caused me to leave the store with a Nashville Deluxe. I did lower the neck pup for less presence. I do happen to like the neck pickup mucho. also adjusted the other pup's to balance bass/treb to my liking. That Nashville is in the hands of the local Lutheir atm. Give me all the options!! being installed is

Rothstein Custom 5 Way, 7 Sound Wiring for Nashville Style 3-Pickup Tele with the V-cap option
    and
    6l-tl-gold-black-anodized.jpg

sorry guys that do so, but I really don't like country music and am denying that "twang" thang

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.