Dlx Nashville Tele - a little odd, not the most beautiful, BUT..

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jun 4, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Wow, what a TONE machine!

[​IMG]

I'm thinking that a chromed Strat pickup cover for the middle pickup might bring a little more visual "continuity" to the look of the pickups. The Nashville is, admittedly, a bit "odd" looking.

I do have a lot of Teles; others which I think are much more beautiful than the Nashville. The three different looking pickups give it a little bit of an odd look.

But, the purpose of this thread is to express my admiration for the tonal options this guitar brings.

As most of you already know, very well, depending on your choice of pickups, you can get a great, bright Tele neck pickup tone, the fantastic Strat middle pickup tone, and of course... a stellar Tele pickup tone. Not to mention the position 2 and 4 tones! ALL-IN-ONE!

[​IMG]

The neck has a rosewood board with a 9.5" radius - made before the latest version.

I have to say, among the dozen Teles that I have, THIS one, while not the prettiest, nor the coolest looking... impresses the heck out of me for tones!

Pickup and electronics details are:

Neck: Cavalier "The Wolf" Custom Tele neck pickup (7.0k DCR)
    Middle: Fender CS Fat '50s Strat middle pickup (6.2k DCR)
    Bridge: Bootstrap "Palo Duro" bridge pickup (6.1k DCR) yes - it's very clean, clear, and BRIGHT

These are ALL sparkly bright "hi-fi" type pickups.

I'm running them with a 310k Volume pot, a No-Load tone pot, and a .022 Orange Drop cap. And, ahem, you have bright, sparkly tones GALORE. Perhaps too bright for some of you who prefer warm, rounded-off mid-tones, but amazing to me - I love the "hi-fi" full-range tones & the sparkly brightness.

The No-Load tone pot is there, which can be tweaked down from "10" to around "9" to round off the highest of highs from the bridge pickup, just slightly - IF desired, on occasion. (I'm thinking pretty much just the bridge pickup, as I like my neck and middle pickups with full brightness. The Palo Duro at 6.1k is a very clean, sparkly bright pickup.)

[​IMG]

For those who have their "standard" Tele set-ups all squared away... and might be interested in adding another Tele which brings in an amazing versatility of tone - get you a Nashville Tele and you'll likely be thrilled with the tones! Of course, this one is highly customized with exactly my preference for pickups and electronics - but that's easily done if you like to customize your tone.

A bright, full-range Tele neck pickup, combined with a rich and sparkly Strat middle pickup, and a full-range, bright Tele bridge pickup... with positions 2 and 4 available, as well... what a sweet sounding set-up to be had!

Anyway, that's all I wanted to share... just some heart-felt enthusiasm for such a versatile, great sounding instrument!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Nice

DHart likes this.
  3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My MIM Deluxe Nashville Tele has been my #1 since I bought it new around 2000.
    Sunburst, Rosewood finger board, tort guard. Original pickups all stock except for a mini toggle so I can get all 7 pickup combinations.
    When I played it in the store, after 30 seconds I knew it was coming home with me. Instant bond.

Oh, I should add that it is the first Tele I ever owned.

Have others now but it's still #1.

Random1643 and DHart like this.
  4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Cool man! It took me a good while to come around to thinking about a Deluxe Nashville.

Today... after some transitions through various pickups, I'm really glad that I did this.

galaxiex likes this.
  5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

DHart likes this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

They are excellent. Also worth adding a push-pull switch so you can still get neck plus bridge stock Tele middle position.

DHart likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yes... one more new tweak to look forward to!

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The most important stuff... playability and tone, is already all dialed in! Easily left at that!

But given the black bridge pickup...for visual harmony, perhaps this could use a black Strat pickup cover for the middle pickup, and removing the chromed cover from "The Wolf" neck pickup to reveal the black "She Wolf" pickup lurking under that cover?

The only "odd" thing about the Nashville, for me, is the look of three totally different pickups. (Obviously, looks don't even matter to some and have nothing to do with tone.)

I'm actually thinking about going with a black pick guard, black cover for the Strat pickup, and no cover on the neck pickup - revealing a black Tele neck pickup.

Indeed! I AM a tweaker. :lol: I love the tones, just not CRAZY for three different looking pickups.

9. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Those pre-2016 D/L Nashville necks are some of the best to come out of Ensenada.
    I have 2 on partscasters, a rosewood on the tuxedo (avatar) and a maple one an American Special body set up as a US Fat. Been toying with changing the tuxedo pg to a white one like yours.

DHart likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool, enjoy it!

DHart likes this.
  11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hey T.P. I agree... wonderful neck, nice dark rosewood board, medium profile, and I like the 9.5" radius.

12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar, I love the tele slab body style way more than the strat body so one of these may be in my future ,with broadcaster bridge and two fifties style strat pickups. Glad you’re loving the guitar. It is really nice just as it is !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thanks man! Funny thing, initially I did set this up with a pair of Fender Fat '50s at the neck and middle. Then, having four actual Strats, decided to put a nice, bright Tele neck pickup in. Either way, great sounding guitar!

I also had a "hot" bridge pickup in it for a while, but it was too mid-range for my taste, lacking a lot of lows and highs - that's why I decided to go with a Palo Duro bridge pickup, which is very full-range, clean, and bright.

14. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Yep....mines's a 2006. I changed out stock 5 way for Fender Super Switch which allowed the neck/bridge combination. I lost the middle by itself, but never used that anyway.
    Great neck on it....body is a little heavy for my taste, but body color/fingerboard material I was looking for.

Attached Files:

DanDII, bravescoob and DHart like this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Glad you like yours - looks good.

I'm surprised you don't like the middle pickup, though - that is a sound that I absolutely LOVE, with the Fender Fat '50s Strat pickup.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar!

If you're in there for mods .... I'd add a stacked tone pot so you can wire in the Armstrong Blender (blends between SSS and HSH). So you can get a stealth LP. If you can give up either of the 2/4 positions you can swap pickup hot leads (neck and middle or bridge and middle) at the switch to get neck+bridge option (the 5-way becomes a 3-way with middle options at one or the other end depending which hots you swapped).

The odd feature on your guitar to me is that control plate! Rotate the control plate so you have V-T-Switch to the rear, just like Bill Kirchen!

DHart likes this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Looks good to me. It says, "session player". Bring the chops...

AxemanVR and DHart like this.
  18. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Agree that a chrome cover on that middle pup would really help this guitar visually. Tonally though the 2/4 options would be great to have access to on a Tele! Cool guitar.

DHart likes this.
  19. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Anyone have a clip to post of the most representative Nashville tele pick up sound?

I'm always curious if I "know it" in my head. Never played one.

20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cool, looks like fun Don...

I played the current model Nashville tele a couple years ago and liked it except for the 12” radius neck, which I wanted to like and tried to adapt to, but just couldn’t. I’m fine with 12” necks on most Gibson type guitars, but I’ve never played a Fender type neck with a 12” board that I liked even a little bit. If I’d dug up a used one with a 9.5 or 7.25 radius, I’d have probably loved it. What I realized I really wanted was a hardtail strat and I thought the Nashville might come close enough, but ultimately I got a hardtail Robert Cray Strat. And later a Roadworn tele. So instead of having the best combination of both worlds, I just have really fine versions of both worlds.

For a single guitar solution, I think the Nashville makes a lot of sense, but for someone who has a lot of guitars, particularly if you have teles and strats, I’m not sure I see the point. I know you used to be a strat guy who’s now a tele guy, so is this your only nod back in the direction of the strat, or do you still have a strat or two in that impressive collection of yours? Regardless, enjoy it!

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.