1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIYLC Strip board Layouts

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Mark the Moose, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I’ve built a dozens of pedals using strip board layouts, mostly from the fine folks at tagboardeffects. I decided my next step was to make my own layouts from schematics, so I downloaded DIY LC and started in on a layout for the JHS Moonshine from the PCP Pedals Bootleg Schematic. First layout was really ugly...massive with acres of designated open space. Second layout was a bit smaller with open space primarily in the upper right quadrant.

Going to try again, but I have two questions:
    1. The “label” tool won’t work. I got the “pcb label” tool working, so I can label everything in reverse...but not ideal? Any suggestions?

2. any tips in terms of process for creating a compact layout or is it just experience and intuition?

zippofan likes this.
  2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think it's mostly experience and intuition, it also depends on certain on how cramped your willing to get. When you cut a track so you want it to be on a deburred hole or are you fine with cutting between the tracks and soldering when those tracks are so close together. Also it should be obvious but the size of your components makes a difference, I like using small resistors and caps. The poly caps and resistors I use will fit flat across 0.3" spaced holes, I'll also try obtain small elecrtolyics as well.

The only rules I have are in high gain circuits keep your signal path somewhat linear across the board to avoid oscillations and (if applicable) keep high current/noisy parts of the circuit away from the sensitive parts of a circuit.

Without launching the software I don't I can help with question 1.

Mark the Moose likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.