DIY'd Road-Worn Performer Tele.

Mur

Friend of Leo's
Well, its too late now lol. But seriously, I like warn ..and heavily relic'd my CS.

Kamen_Kaiju

TDPRI Member
I don't hate relics but real guitars don't wear like that. Probably should've looked at real wear patterns before taking the sander to the finish.

I like buying used guitars that have a ding or two in them because:

1. I don't worry about doing the first ding myself.
2. you can get it for hundreds of dollars less than the cost of a new one.

Jimbloke

TDPRI Member
Not for me but an improvement on the original ‘modification’ May I ask, what’s a ball park figure for a refin. these days?
You don't like Chris Bowlings's refinish? I'd be interested to hear how you'd have improved on that because I think he absolutely smashed it. I was going to go for a colour but when he said the wood was decent I was more than happy to go down that road. There are loads of navy blue Tele's in the world (my usual colour of choice) but just one that looks like this. All in IMHO, of course.

BrokenTele

TDPRI Member
I think it looks good.

Relicing is something the old heads feel very sensitive towards, especially on Poly-finished guitars. So you’ll never see pieces like this, which is tastefully done, get recognition.

But I like it a fair bit. Wish we had more thin poly/satin finished guitars on the market.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
You don't like Chris Bowlings's refinish? I'd be interested to hear how you'd have improved on that because I think he absolutely smashed it. I was going to go for a colour but when he said the wood was decent I was more than happy to go down that road. There are loads of navy blue Tele's in the world (my usual colour of choice) but just one that looks like this. All in IMHO, of course.
I think I may have phrased that better!? The ‘original’ relic was, I think, awful. Mr Bowling’s refin is absolutely first class work, no doubt about it, in terms of quality light years from where it started. It’s just that I don’t much like the stripped look on a guitar.