DIY'd Road-Worn Performer Tele.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the comments back up what I really think about it. Next question…how much is a paint job? I’m not going to try that myself so if I can’t get a decent price on a new cover I’m going to have to leave this well alone. It’s a shame because I really like Performers. I’ll be looking around London For a finisher. I’ve heard Regent Sounds and Bow in Surrey know their onions. I can’t get a quote from either of them at the moment though.

It's easy enough to do with nitro rattle cans, as long as you're patient.

Jimbloke

TDPRI Member
Quite the transformation. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Tele.jpeg
    Tele.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 38

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
First mistake.
"......he decided to continue with the ding process...."

hbkjc.jpg

It looks like ass. Dumb.

Never been quite sure why that belt-sander to the armrest area is sooo popular. I'm on a One Man Crusade to Stop. The. Madness.

boop

Tele-Holic
DIY road worn: I was hoping you were gunna take it out on the road.

But the natural looks pretty classy! I think it's an improvement

Jimbloke

TDPRI Member
First mistake.
"......he decided to continue with the ding process...."

View attachment 1013552

It looks like ass. Dumb.

Never been quite sure why that belt-sander to the armrest area is sooo popular. I'm on a One Man Crusade to Stop. The. Madness.
Sheeze Louise. I fixed it and posted pictures. I took it to the legend that is Chris Bowling at Bow Finishers in Surrey, UK. He stripped it, stained it and gave a bit of satin protection. Man, there's some world-weary hombre's on here!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a feeling I'm going to get flamed for this but what do you think of this DIY attempt at road-wearing a Performer Tele? The guy who did it told me he'd accidently given the body a very noticeable ding just above the bridge and instead of crying about it, he decided to continue with the ding process. He says he wants a working guitar that he plays without obsessing over it's original pristine looks. I can really see his point because I've wasted too much time worrying about every little mark and dent on my guitars. I'm very interested to hear though what people think about his efforts. I don't think he's finished because it looks too clean but then natural wear and tear might solve that over time.
I’d have left or repaired the ding. He’s just randomly sanded off some finish.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
Sheeze Louise. I fixed it and posted pictures. I took it to the legend that is Chris Bowling at Bow Finishers in Surrey, UK. He stripped it, stained it and gave a bit of satin protection. Man, there's some world-weary hombre's on here
95% of the relic'd guitars I see look really bad. There's an art to it and not everyone is a Renaissance master artist.

1200x800.jpg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Again, I really appreciate the evenness of the replies to my post. As it happens, I did get the Performer for much less than it's worth so the cost of a refinish will bring it up to around about the price of a new one. I'm completely happy to do that because it's practically new anyway. I love a Telecaster and this one is more than enough. I completely appreciate the advice to just leave it alone and play it but the sub-standard relic job will do my head in after a while. Well, that and the fact that a nice Midnight Blue cover will make it spectacular. I can't get anyone over here to give me quote for the job. It's like, my money is no good because I have a somewhat lower-end priced guitar.
Do you need a luthier or just a good sprayer? I’d consider rubbing it down myself and then getting it primed and sprayed in my favourite colour. Custom job for less than custom money. Whatever you do won’t greatly affect it’s value and, if you get it right, it’ll be a keeper anyway.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Sheeze Louise. I fixed it and posted pictures. I took it to the legend that is Chris Bowling at Bow Finishers in Surrey, UK. He stripped it, stained it and gave a bit of satin protection. Man, there's some world-weary hombre's on here!
Not for me but an improvement on the original ‘modification’ May I ask, what’s a ball park figure for a refin. these days?

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
Hey everyone has their own idea of what perfection is...

I say it's gorgeous, love the natural wood look as you can tell by the picture of my tele in my profile... Way better than the 'oops relic.' I'd be proud to call that mine, in fact if you want to get rid of it....... ;)

Sal A

TDPRI Member
I like the fixed version better. But i am not allergic to weird relics. I bought one that is weird, but I didn’t buy it because it looks authentic, I bought it because it reminds me of the Jersey Shore.

Attachments

• 73048CE8-465A-4B5F-BB32-FAD3CDACC316.jpeg
    73048CE8-465A-4B5F-BB32-FAD3CDACC316.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 6