DIY'd Road-Worn Performer Tele.

Jimbloke

TDPRI Member
I have a feeling I'm going to get flamed for this but what do you think of this DIY attempt at road-wearing a Performer Tele? The guy who did it told me he'd accidently given the body a very noticeable ding just above the bridge and instead of crying about it, he decided to continue with the ding process. He says he wants a working guitar that he plays without obsessing over it's original pristine looks. I can really see his point because I've wasted too much time worrying about every little mark and dent on my guitars. I'm very interested to hear though what people think about his efforts. I don't think he's finished because it looks too clean but then natural wear and tear might solve that over time.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

Footsore

Tele-Meister
Not for me either. Just looks like it's had some paint sanded off instead of scuff marks but if the owner likes it that's all that matters.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
well, as you asked...

...I think that wouldn't happen through playing, not through my playing anyway.

The only place I get edge wear is right on that corner, where my arm is. I might get some dings around the edge in other places but never 'wear'. I can't imagine how that wear would happen playing it... or even throwing it around on a stage for that matter.

I really don't get the 'worrying about pristine looks' thing, just throw it into the drum kit or something. A 'working guitar' isn't going to stay pristine for long, they never do. .... unless it's working in a sandpaper factory it's not going to ever look like that though.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
It’s not the worst I’ve seen , ands it’s a good lookin guitar . But I wouldn’t care for that relic treatment. It looks like he just took a sander

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I like a well done relic and have several, but that ain’t it. No guitar would wear like that. It’s why people shouldn’t try to relic guitars unless they know what they are doing, and very few do.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I dont understand the concern of keeping it pristine, so proactively it gets the relic treatment. If it's a guitar that's played a lot, it will age naturally

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The guy who did it told me he'd accidently given the body a very noticeable ding just above the bridge and instead of crying about it, he decided to continue with the ding process.
I don't understand this thought process personally. If your nice shiny new car got a ding in the parking lot, would proceed to relic the rest of the car?
But as others have said, if the owner (and/or you) likes it, who am I to judge? We don't all like the same aesthetics. I think Bigsbys are ghastly, but lots of people think they're just the coolest thing ever.

Last edited:

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I dont understand the concern of keeping it pristine, so proactively it gets the relic treatment. If it's a guitar that's played a lot, it will age naturally
My '87 PRS is 35 years old and gets played a LOT. It has some little nicks and dings, but nothing that remotely approaches the level of wear you see on even the best relics.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Looks like fake furniture store “distressing.” I’d never relic a guitar, but I might buy one that has been relic’d realistically, if it is a good player or deal. This one is a hard pass, unless I could get someone to do the bare minimum to make it look realistic cheaper than a new performer (unlikely).

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Not bad, but not really realistic either

I give it a C+! Because it doesn’t look completely crazy

Jimbloke

TDPRI Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the comments back up what I really think about it. Next question…how much is a paint job? I’m not going to try that myself so if I can’t get a decent price on a new cover I’m going to have to leave this well alone. It’s a shame because I really like Performers. I’ll be looking around London For a finisher. I’ve heard Regent Sounds and Bow in Surrey know their onions. I can’t get a quote from either of them at the moment though.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the comments back up what I really think about it. Next question…how much is a paint job? I’m not going to try that myself so if I can’t get a decent price on a new cover I’m going to have to leave this well alone. It’s a shame because I really like Performers. I’ll be looking around London For a finisher. I’ve heard Regent Sounds and Bow in Surrey know their onions. I can’t get a quote from either of them at the moment though.

I have no idea but I imagine you would be paying several hundred pounds for it. The easiest and probably cheapest option is just to remove the rest of the finish and go natural.

Footsore

Tele-Meister
Honesty I think the best thing to do is just leave it and play it. It doesn't look too bad and certainly is unique. I can't see the point in spending more money on it.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Unless you buy it really, really cheap, you’ll have far more in it than it’s worth. Much as I hate the look, if it played and sounded great, I’d play it - if I bought it for a bargain.

Jimbloke

TDPRI Member
Again, I really appreciate the evenness of the replies to my post. As it happens, I did get the Performer for much less than it's worth so the cost of a refinish will bring it up to around about the price of a new one. I'm completely happy to do that because it's practically new anyway. I love a Telecaster and this one is more than enough. I completely appreciate the advice to just leave it alone and play it but the sub-standard relic job will do my head in after a while. Well, that and the fact that a nice Midnight Blue cover will make it spectacular. I can't get anyone over here to give me quote for the job. It's like, my money is no good because I have a somewhat lower-end priced guitar.

Last edited:

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
Not necessarily for me, I like guitars to age with time, but sure, someone will love that thing.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Well I’ll tell you what… it does take the eye away from the ding

I’m kind of on the same page though when I go guitar shopping I try to find the ones that have a ding or two from people trying them out

I get to talk the price down and I have a guitar that doesn’t seem too clean to play