1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY Wall Display

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Asmith, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

I started a new job a couple of months ago... Hooray! I've gone from stacking shelves in a supermarket to office work (data analysist) and like many of you I am now working from home.

My 'office' isn't comfortable, it's storage for anything and everything, plus my musical gear and just happens to be the only room with a desk in it. It's a very small room to begin with so I want to get my guitars off the floor and onto the wall to make it feel a little more spacious but also want it to look pretty at the same time.

So here is the concept art, the guitars are a quick and dirty models based on some .SGV files I downloaded;

Hanger Display Guitars.png

and a drawing.

Hanger Display Blueprint.png

The wall mount will replace 3 stands clearing a lot of room. I ordered some 1x2 Walnut last night and some wall hangers, not sure when it will all arrive but I'm not in a hurry. I plan to use half lap joints, titebond and finish it in either tung or danish oil.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

Looking good!

Asmith likes this.
  3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

For a moment I was really worried that the guitar mock-ups where part of the hanger system build.
    so you could remember which coloured guitar goes where :confused::lol:

but alas , I get it ...and was only worried a tiny moment, I swear :)
    yes, looks good

Asmith likes this.
  4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Also a question to those who live in the UK, where do you source nice timber for your projects? Everywhere I look they seem to have minimum order quantities around the £200 mark.

I paid £45 plus £25 delivery for 4.2 meters of 1x2 Walnut which I didn't mind given my limited options but I'm wondering if there are better rates out there for future projects, (preferably local to East Yorkshire to avoid shipping).

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

My only thought when I see guitars hanging on the wall is "I hope they have good humidity control in that room". It doesn't matter (much) with solid body guitars, it matters a lot with acoustics.

thesamhill and Asmith like this.
  6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

:lol: They do look flat but they are indeed for illustrative purposes only. Half of my guitars don't even resemble the ones in the render, I have a white blonde Tele with a black pickguard and a red Epi Riviera but sadly I don't own an LP special, an SG or a blue strat (I have a sunburst).

Alamo likes this.
  7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

It's an acoustic free zone (apart from a cheapie which will stay where it is), I'll also be mounting this to an interior wall as it can get a bit cold and damp in the UK although my current house is very good in that regard.

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Reuse, reclaim, recycle

I pick up timber lumber from the streets and dumpsters, when ever I spot some good stuff.
    a bit like him:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    jvin248 and Asmith like this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I saw a display case the other day that someone made on another forum, I was really impressed with it.
    He had a Fender Tweed case that he made a cut-out on the front and installed a sheet of clear Lexan. Then he hung the case on the wall and secured it. I thought it was bad to cut the case at first, but then saw how it made a great display case. It wouldn't work out for people with multiple guitars though.

Alamo likes this.
  10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

How do the half-laps work where three pieces come together? Is all the wood in one plane or do some pieces sit proud of the others?

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

My bad I just meant lap joints and whatever it takes to make it work. The three pieces is pretty easy to figure out the 4 piece joint wouldn't work with my original drawing so I had to modify that part to make it work but when the hanger is mounted to that joint it shouldn't matter.

The image below is the same model but from two different perspectives.

Lap joint.png

photondev and ale.istotle like this.
  12. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like it. Cool design.

Asmith likes this.
  13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The Facebook market place is seems like a good idea, I've had the odd look before but I guess I've just got to look more often. My biggest drawback is I don't drive, probably won't be able to for a few years.

I would look for salvage on the streets but I live in a rural area so there aren't many places to look.

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The timber has arrived, it shouldn't take a lot to turn this into the final product. But my hangers of choice aren't due to dispatch for a couple of weeks.

IMG_20201125_120746744~2.jpg

15. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

I think it will look very nice. Good looking pieces of walnut, as well. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Asmith likes this.
  16. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@Asmith I don't see that awesome blue avatar guitar of yours in that model!

FWIW, if you do have a 335 style like in the model, make sure you give some extra space for it. There's a difference in the number of bonks that happen when you have 1" clearance vs 3". Ask me how I know... :eek:

EDIT: Just saw the post about the red Riviera, so you probably are already aware of the bonk issue! I was just a bit surprised when I measured out my own hangers- the measurements I thought would work ended up being a bit small, not just because of the size but also because when you hold the 335 style by the neck, the other end is more unruly than when you're holding a tele by the neck and... bonk

Don't want to thread jack but @Freeman Keller -

I love seeing your work and contributions to our general knowledge! Not disagreeing, just respectfully submitting a quick point-

Acoustic guitars do better in humidity controlled rooms. They also go on big adventures, go to summer camps in rainy places, need to be readily-accessible for daily mental health interventions, beautify our spaces, and help us bond with our kids when we're sitting around our humidity-uncontrolled living rooms.

For me- some of the best memories and experiences of a lifetime came from me having an acoustic guitar to hand wherever I was. Others may get pleasure out of keeping an instrument perfectly maintained and in pristine condition, and that's awesome too.

But if you're a novice or beginning player, wondering whether it will hurt your guitar to take it camping or on a road trip- I say, take it and humidity be damned, there may be smooches to be got! :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  17. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I've measured it out with all the guitars which are going on the stand on the floor so I should be ok for space the two outer spaces on the top row should be pretty easy access for any guitars that prove to be unwieldy.

The blue guitar will have a space on the stand but I didn't want to spend a lot of time on the models. I do have a few detailed models including the blue guitar but not enough to populate the model and they are also on my old laptop and I'm to lazy to move all my stuff over.

18. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

When I saw the title I had no idea what I would find. I had a good laugh when the concept picture came up. Kind of makes you want to smile.

Asmith likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Reclaimed can be a good option for the next hanger (more guitars lol).

My current wall rack came out of a twin box spring we replaced, painted up with left over paint.

Keeping guitars off the floor stands is a good plan.

Asmith likes this.
  20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is a cool design, just make sure you anchor to studs in 2-3 spots.

Asmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.