DIY - Walkin’ Blues - Speaker Cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pasta Player, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

“The Walkin’ Blues” / Super Champ X2 & Blues Jr. DIY external cab project.

Faced with the dilemma of “oh what to do” with stock Fender 10” and 12” speakers from a Super Champ X2 and Blues Jr. - after installing new Ragin’ Cajun & Cannabis Rex speakers… “Why not build some quick, cheap, external speaker cabs”? Well maybe not quick, but definitely inexpensive.

So, from a saved cache of 7” wide, reclaimed pine wood flooring (restaurant remodel, years ago) a very small, 6x6x6 inch square mock-up was first constructed to tap around on for tonal resonance. From that test, the project was almost immediately shelved because it just sounded “too tight”… no mid-range or bass tones. Onward, anyway.

Bits.png
    Ripped the well-worn (trampled under foot) floor boards to nominal 5.5” widths and retained some tongue-and-groove joints for later glue-ing to make 11” wide dimension. Then cut to length and mitre cut all before glue. Then after glue, clamped all together (interleaved with wax paper) to reduce any joint-bowing and left all tightly clamped for a week or so. The rest, easily explained in attached pics.

A.png

No fancy-schmancy finger joints, tolex or expensive metal corner treatments, we’re talkin’ bare-bones, down-and-dirty, finish-nailed, wood and glue construction, with… simple mitre-jointed corners and whatever little hardware bits were already on hand. (See handle.) And… no fancy, sparkly speaker grille to increase the total cost. (Maybe later.)

One.png

Two.png

Three.png
    Now, may not look like much (I wish I’d built two of them from the start) but talk about a vast tone & volume improvement from the Super Champ… AND the Blues Jr. too (now crank that reverb all the way up!). Can’t wait to build more and future variations. Will now always take this route for in-house combo amps. Total cost of this cab = all less than $15.00. (Using on-hand black screen mesh for speaker grille and well-weathered, 3/4 inch plywood for the speaker mount-board insert.)

Four.png
    Considered an open-back but went with some on-hand particle board and drilled two more port holes in the front instead. Amps’ bass-tone adjust knobs now stay turned to zero but holds-up to increases if wanted.) 18” tall x 20” wide x 11” deep. Featuring the 12” original speaker from the Blues Jr. [*Cabinet wood was further darkened using KIWI® brand, Color Shine™ black liquid shoe polish with foam applicator.]

Five.png
    Maybe just luck… but this cab sounds great. DIY!​

I proudly present (tongue-in-cheek) the ACME® Proletariat 1™… or… Prole 1™.

Native.png
    In its' native habitat...​

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

I am fond of the vast catalog of products offered under the Acme brand. And their primary product demo spokesman, Wile E. Coyote

[​IMG]

DADGAD and Pasta Player like this.
  3. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Exactamundo! I do appreciate it.

A wholly-owned, secret subsidiary of the vast conglomerate parent company… “Looney Tunes”.

I thought it only fitting.;)

ray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.