1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY Tele Weirdness

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HBamps, Jul 9, 2009.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

I recently built an Esquire out of sourced parts (HWY 1 body, musikraft neck, fender bridge plate, kulson tuners) and I think for a first timer, it turned out rather well. After dialing it in and getting the setup right, it plays and sounds great,.... sometimes.

I do have a weird issue though. It seems that it’s very sensitive to how it’s strung up. Sometimes, with brand new strings the low E and A are just dead sounding and sometimes they are nice and snappy. I don’t know what I am doing different each time or what could be causing this phenomena.

I try to string it up the same way every time (approximately the same number of wraps on the post, same approximate position on the saddles, etc.)

Is there something that I am missing? What would you say the “proper” way is to sting up a tele?

2. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

The first thing that came to mind for me was that it may be the strings, not the guitar. Maybe the place you buy strings has had them out a little too long and sometimes you getting new ones and sometimes they've bee around awhile?

3. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

That may be. I usually buy 10 packs of DiAdarrios from musicians friend. I just bought a new pack so hopefully this won't be too much of an issue.

4. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

Hmm, shouldn't be the strings. I've had strings on some of my guitars for over a year and they still spank.

Sounds like string are getting pinched somewhere... Check the bridge and the nut. Are you using heavier strings? Is the nut not pinching and is lubed up with (I use graphite powder) or some other stuff.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

As a full time Repair & Set-up Shop, I go through a Lot of strings in the course of a year....and I've been doing this for quite some time. You learn by trial & error on a lot of things, and there is a reason I don't Stock D'Addario Strings....YMMV

6. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

Then which strings do you recommend?

7. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

hmmmm , i cant think of a better string than the Daddarios ! i doubt its the strings.

8. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

+1. I've tried everything and I always go back to D'Addario. No reason to leave any more...

9. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

++1, I've been using Daddarios since around 1980 with no problems whatsoever, I can't seem to think of anything better either.

10. chknpckn

chknpckn Tele-Meister

Tomastik strings are better IMO.

11. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    +++1 Me too; I've been using Daddarios for as long as I can remember and, for the price, don't know what brand would work or sound better. :confused:

12. telefunk

telefunk Tele-Meister

When you wrap them around the tuner post make sure you aren't putting a twist in them.

13. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Could the neck be shifting right to left?

Somehow I knew from the OP this would turn into a string brand name debate.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Check to make sure your saddle is resting on both the adjustment screws. If you have a screw vibrating in the saddle, that could be the problem. You may need to use a little Locktite on it if the screw wont stay put. Sounds like a nice guitar. Got a picture?

15. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

That's an interesting point. I have never paid attention to this and before I got into Tele's, I never used these kind of tuners (where the string end goes in the barrel). I always try to get at least 2 or 3 full wrap-arounds on the low strings.

It's a 3 saddle bridge so I figure that if there is two strings on any particular saddle, it's getting a pretty good down force.

here's a pic [​IMG]

I don't know. But your comment makes me think of how the guitar is tuned to pitch after a string change. I would assume that, ideally, one would tighten the strings all at the same time so you don't get too much uneven pull on the neck from say just the low E string.

Thanks for all the responses! About the D'Addarios, I have been using them for many years as well and really like them. I have had a bad set a few times (maybe 2 or 3 over 10 years, that aint bad).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.