DIY Tele Kit

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by nchap125, Oct 21, 2019.

1. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Hey All,

I am new here, and really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

This is my 2nd DIY kit and the first came out great (jazz bass), so I am now doing a tele... I didn't get my new bridge in yet (bought the Fender American & bridge pick up), however, I'm starting to do the set up and I think either the neck pocket is not deep enough or the bridge pick up routing is wrong.

I've measured 12.75" to the 12th fret.. So 25.5" is typically to the middle of the saddles, but it looks like it's just near the end. For the 1st string, it's right on the money. But, i'd be more worried about the Low E which is around 26".

Please let me know if you think I should widen the neck or bridge pocket to move them a bit closer for intonation. I never built a tele before, so any help would be great.

See the attached.

Thank you,

Attached Files:

2. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Looks to me like if you widen the bridge to bring it closer, you will be running into the pickguard. Neck might be the same situation, hard to tell from the angle, but I would think moving the neck back might be a better bet. Or take a little bit from each, looks like the bridge might have 1/16" or more it can move. Hopefully someone else can chime in :)

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If everything else "fits" together OK, could you use a longer saddle adjustment screw to bring the saddle closer to the nut? I had to do that once, to get correct intonation.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Thank you both for you replies. I was thinking of those solutions. The new bridge is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so that will help me figure this out a bit better. However, I'm assuming both bridges are the same size, but then again, you never know with these DIY kits. I'm not worried about the pick guard as I am planning to do a thin line style for this that I will probably make myself.

I posted a better picture of the measurement as well.

Attached Files:

5. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Welcome to TDPRI! ^^^^^

Probably best to get your new bridge unit, then assess what's going on. I'd definitely not rush to solve anything with a router than can be solved with different screws!

6. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Looking at your second post, sending the kit back might be a better option. That seems a long way off to me.

7. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Thank you Simon, I agree. However, I'm a better woodworker than guitar player, so I'm not afraid to use the router!

I'll post tomorrow and see if perhaps the bridge unit is out of spec.

But yes - I may look to see if I can get a replacement as well.

simoncroft likes this.
  8. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

At which fret does the neck and body meet? Should be at 16

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The low E string will move back so you'll have adjustment space there. Are you mixing US and Metric parts? Some ebay import bits will be off -- I have one guitar I salvaged that was off like you see. Make sure the neck is tight in the pocket, and the pickup is forward in it's pocket.

If you put 10s on the guitar then all the saddles have to go back.

10. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Good evening all - So the fret where the body and neck meets is just about the 16th. It's a bit short, about 1/8-1/4 of an inch.

In addition, I measured the distance from the bridge to the end of the body, which is 4 and 3/8". Not sure what a normal tele is there.

With the new bridge, it's still short, but much better since the screws/saddles are all equal.

So I'm assuming I need to take 1/4 on the neck pocket and 1/4 on the bridge to make this work.

Any other comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

EDIT: Yes, I am mixing parts. I purchased Fender American Bridge & PU, American Neck PU. I will be wiring in my own electronics. The body/neck is from the Chinese imported Kit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  11. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Looking at the bridge, it is about 1/4 off, so I would say you would be good take 1/8 from the neck pocket and 1/8 from the bridge route. As long as it is close to 25.5", you will have a bit of wiggle room with your saddle adjustment screws

12. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Thank you Binx, I think that's a good middle ground (1/8" on each). Worst case scenario, I can take more from the bridge if needed.

Hopefully I will have time to do it this weekend and will update once done.

Thank you all again!

13. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Look forward to seeing how it turns out! Man, for the money those tele kits sure look like a fun project

14. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

$69.99! ...uh-oh, this might be too good a deal to pass up, if the neck is okay. Keep us posted on your progress!

My first DIY guitar, a $75 12-string tele kit from eBay, is what brought me to TDPRI, too! I still learn a ton from this place. :)

16. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Hey all - I took about 1/8th inch off the bridge hole and the neck pocket!

So, I am very glad I did, the neck fits in much nicer now. and I'm right on the money for the scale!!

Now I need to figure out if I want to go the standard pick guard, or fill in the hole and do the thin line.. I really like the thin line look.

Attached Files:

17. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

I like the thin line look a lot of the time, makes it different, which catches my eye. Though a traditional tele is a classic. What color do you plan to do?

18. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

I am going to do a rit dye stain. Either a blueish gradient or sunburst.. not sure yet.

The grain is very small so it does look like a pair of jeans.. not sure i'm a fan of that. I can always paint if I want to as well.

Attached Files:

19. nchap125

nchap125 TDPRI Member

Did a second coat with aquamarine.. I do like the back.

Attached Files:

stevemc and SecretSquirrel like this.
  20. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

What is that laser looking line on the guitar? I'm assembling a Jazzmaster from parts and sure could use some help. Right now I'm just eyeballing it. Thanks,Jack

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.