1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY tele build neck heel to pocket issue

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BnRotten, Nov 7, 2020.

1. BnRotten

BnRotten TDPRI Member

I got a drawing for a tele and routed it out and then ordered a neck template from StewMac. Problem is the template does not fit in the neck pocket. Pics below. Which is wrong, the template or my neck pocket which is straight from the drawing?? Should I radius the heel or chisel out the pocket corners?

Attached Files:

gregulator450 and crazydave911 like this.
  2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

First off, WELCOME! First post is a Tele build, I'd say you're gonna do just fine here.

I think either way would work fine. Looks to me like you need to use a smaller radius router bit in those corners is all. If you chisel or rout them sharper, any other neck will work if you need to re-fit one down the road, and if you round out the heel on the neck, it'll still fit in any other guitars.

Short answer: you're not ruining anything either way, so do what you think will be easier.

You're asking for advice, so I'll say if it were me, I'd do the corners of the pocket.

PaulNYC, Wallaby and crazydave911 like this.
  3. BnRotten

BnRotten TDPRI Member

Thank you for the advice! I have the neck ready to do the template route and I’ll decide then which way to go. It’s just weird that the drawing and template do not match. The template is a 56 and the drawing is a modern last updated 2006 so maybe it is something just changed over the years. I have no clue.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum! I will assume you are going to make a MDF template from the Stem Mac template. You have already built the body so I would make sample out of scrap, you only need the depth of the pocket and see what you have. If you make a scrap piece you can alter the template instead of changing after the fact.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. BnRotten

BnRotten TDPRI Member

That’s a solid plan! I made copies of the body template but didn’t plan to copy the neck template since it is acrylic. I know it’s a good idea but I kinda got zeroed in and didn’t think about it. I’ll pull it back off and do that. Thanks!

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

most F neck pockets have a 1/2" radius and they extend the sides to allow for any heel corner radius...

your clear template looks like a smaller radius?...

f neck pocket.jpg

mfguitar likes this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

... and I like to have the neck on hand before cutting the pocket... I make a template for each neck I use...

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

The problem is it's Stew Mac I'm sad to say. The template is intended for their high dollar 3/8 template bit. If the neck is too this malfit is what you get

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It would be simple enough to make the neck with your template and just make the radii larger on the end of the neck with a bit of abrasive paper and block of wood, if that is what the problem is.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Personally, I would absolutely make a copy of the neck template (that's SOP), and then mod that copy to fit your body.

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One little slip of the router can ruin your expensive SM template. This way you could adjust your template to fit the body.
    Good luck!

12. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I use a Dremel tool and square up the rounded corners of my body neck pockets...Takes 5 minutes.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.