DIY second Reverb Mix control box.

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by JohnnyCrash, Oct 17, 2021.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I saw an old thread somewhere on the internet about making a box that either inserts or removes (lifts the pot’s ground) a 10k pot into the circuit via the reverb footswitch jack of a 6G15 Fender tube reverb unit (or a BF/SF amp, is you use a 1/4” to RCA cable).

This, in effect, gives you a second (less wet, since it’s acting as a variable dropping resistor from the reverb unit’s circuit to ground) footswitchable reverb presetting (from a little less, to dialed all the way off, meaning no wet signal at all).

Surf style dripping reverb, to a slight splash that’s closer to the BF/SF style… or at least that’s the idea.

So I looked in the garage. I literally had all five required parts on hand: a footswitch box (I was going to use an empty pipe tobacco tin, but found a Carling effects sized box); a 10k pot (unfortunately, audio taper, not linear); a footswitch (couldn’t find my old ‘90s Crybaby Wah switch I’d replaced, but instead found overkill: a DPDT footswitch); a knob (it matches my SurfyBear reverb’s knobs!); and a jack. Three pieces of wire is all it took.

What got me on this trip was that I’d sold the 6G15 clone I built years ago, and had recently acquired a SurfyBear Classic. WOW, by the way. They nailed it. Miles better than my Ocean’s Eleven (probably because it’s not digital, it’s analog).

Anyway, one day I noticed they also had the classic footswitch jack. So I built the box to see how it works.

Only later did I learn that a few companies sell a version of this for $60! It’s a handful of parts. Maybe $20 worth (much much less if you have an alternative enclosure to house it in). It cost me nothing but spare unused parts and five minutes of soldering.

Only thing is, I can’t test if it even works since it’s late and my kid is asleep. I’ll report back tomorrow…

EF80021F-3E4C-4BAD-8367-2B990BB36377.jpeg

zippofan and Timbresmith1 like this.
  2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well, it works! And the SurfyBear has now become my main all-purpose reverb. Even over my Super Reverb’s onboard tube reverb.

When you got it really surf splashy and you kick on the switch with the dial halfway or lower you get a (better) version of the onboard ‘verbs. The higher Tone and Dwell settings are tamed by the second Mix’s lowered mix. It sounds a lot like a Princeton/Deluxe/Super/Twin’s onboard reverb, except with a bit of depth and character (especially depending on both the ‘verb’s and the footswitch’s settings).

I initially balked at the idea of one of these kinds of footswitches, but now I see/hear the versatility. Now I can’t imagine not having one.

If you have the parts on hand, it is well worth the five minutes with a drill and another five minutes with a soldering iron.

I understand why people want them. I understand some people don’t have the time/skills. $60 still seems a bit steep, but I understand why some people are willing to pay it.

It turned my Classic into a dual-reverb unit. The MetalBear has all the bells and whistles, but the Classic just looks too cool.

CF71D4FF-F14E-42DE-8CED-BE0DB3E39164.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.