1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY reverse wound pickup?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by trotters2, Aug 16, 2012.

1. trotters2

trotters2 TDPRI Member

ok so i want to make a humbucker for my telecaster but i need a reverse wound i can make my own single coil pickup but how can i "reverse wind" it?

2. jonson

jonson TDPRI Member

Just flip the bobbin over so that the top is against the face plate. If the pole pieces stick up above the flatwork make a slotted spacer to go in between. Start and finish are obviously reversed now as well.

3. Pacific Picker

Pacific Picker TDPRI Member

You can also wind it the same way as the other bobbin, just connect the end of the second bobbin to the end of the first bobbin. The start of your fist bobbin will be your "hot" and the start of the second bobbin will be your ground.

Its the same as putting a pickup out of phase, except your magnets will be reversed, so it will be in phase and cancelling hum...

4. trotters2

trotters2 TDPRI Member

So all I need to do is put it upside down with the magnets poles facing opposite directions?

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I'm afraid I don't understand your question (punctuation helps a lot). Are you talking about one of the humbucker's coils, or the single coil neck?

6. trotters2

trotters2 TDPRI Member

I don't really understand your question either, but I want to know how can I make a reverse wound pickup to wire to my original pickup to form a humbucker

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

If you want to put two pickups together to make a humbucker, the two coils are wired in series, with one of the coils being reverse wound and having opposite magnetic polarity.
    Reverse wound is just that, I believe: winding in the opposite direction. You can get the same effect by just swapping the leads. After that, you need to reverse the polarity.

Say you have two identical pickups, and you want them to be hum cancelling.
    First, you reverse the leads on one of them (making it reverse wound for all intents and purposes), and the hum is already gone! But, now they're out of phase and all you have is a thin, nasal sound.
    To put the pickup back in phase you reverse the magnetic polarity of that pickup. If it's a bar magnet, you flip it over. If it's alnico slugs (typical Fender pickup), you can remagnetise them with two neodymium magnets.

Here's a useful link :
    http://www.guitarscanada.com/electric-guitar/32282-reversing-pickups-polarity-fun-magnets.html

8. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I am a little concerned about these kinds of questions sometimes. Reverse wound literally means that the wire winds in the reverse direction when compared to another. For instance, if you are looking at the top of two pickups that are reverse-wound-reverse-pole, you would have one pickup with the wire wound clockwise and one with the wire wound counterclockwise. Similarly, one pickup would have the N pole of the magnet pointing up while the other would have the S pole of the magnet facing up.

The wires and the poles do not have to have any relationship to one another. Different companies may pair the N with the clockwise while others pair the S with the clockwise. This is why some pickups are said to be incompatible as a pair.

You can connect the inner wire to the ground and the outer wire to the hot if you want a poor man's solution to reverse winding (draw it out and it should make sense) BUT you are getting rid of some of the inherent shielding wound into the coil by design by connecting them backwards. If you are making your own pickup, do it right. If you are trying to retrofit incompatible pickups, do it the other way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.