1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY PU covers anyone?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by metecem, Dec 1, 2015.

1. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Hi there,

does anybody make their own PU covers?

I am thinking of getting into some thermo vacuum forming...

Any experience?

Cheers!

Mete

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I did it once by making wooden forms and heating up an acrylic sheet in the oven. It wasn't very fun, but it got the job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    songtalk likes this.
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Mete,
    Custom covers are difficult. Jup's thermoforming or vacuforming is probably the easiest way to go but is still plastic. I once entertained the idea of buying nickel silver sheet to make strips that covered the pups. Could be fun. You can do creative things with flat work based pups like doing exposed coil humbuckers and string wrap the coils, possibly with string color that compliments the guitars color. Also, the flatwork can be made out of many different plastics and woods.
    Rob

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I made one for a Lollar Chicago by folding and soldering brass shim stock. It worked fine but it was slow and painstaking.

Not the kind of thing I would attempt if there was anything commercially available.

5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

No thermo forming experience.

I make custom covers (for non standard size pickups like with the firebird tenor) using wood for the sides and metal or maybe plastic for the top. I really like how they look, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

I also use blank humbucker covers to make different things like faux gold foil style (see my current double neck thread) covers

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I had one at my old job. The thinner styrene worked best, but the sheets got wasted on small stuff. The stuff gets thin pretty easily and webs form. I've thought about it myself though. On complex shapes you have to work out many different draft angles in order for it to flow nicely.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-DIY-Vacuum-Former/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-good,-cheap,-upgradeable-sheet-plastic-vacu/

There's a few more of these if you google instructables and vacuum forming.

7. Tear

Tear TDPRI Member

i would think casting would be the way to approach this if using plastic ...smooth on has a bunch of different materials available .

8. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I found a company that would form some for me.. A minimum of 20 pieces and no mould costs ;) Waiting for the prices...

9. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

3D printing?

songtalk likes this.
  10. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Check clsatt's threads or send him a PM. He has made some custom thermoformed covers that turned out pretty great.

11. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Yes and I think Oigun as well made some using some fancy plastic, didn't he?

12. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

I have two dental thermal forming machines. Both use material 5" x 5". One of the machines uses pressure instead of a vacuum and can really get into the detail without the webbing. BTW, I use them for make zombie dentures and other stuff for movies.

Another option for you is injection molding. Here is a DYI injection molding machine for your home. You can make the molds out of an aluminum filled epoxy like Repro or BJB 1630, for smaller runs instead of machined aluminum.

http://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/injection/

And while I'm on stream of conscious, you could 3D print the covers, mold them with the filled epoxy and then injection mold them for more durability.

13. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

You're friends with him on Facebook, why don't you ask him?

14. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I should, yes.

I also should ask Anthony from Harvester Guitars how the makes them because I think he pours them into moulds. they look gorgeous.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Crimson Guitars was planning on CNCing wood covers and selling them. Not sure if they are in inventory yet or costs but worth checking into.

16. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

I'd be afraid that wood covers would crack. Even with a fairly dense wood you are still talking pretty thin dimensions.

17. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

A lot of people are using them now. I think there really is an opportunity there for someone to make them.

18. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wondered how viable it would be to mill them from aluminium billet.

19. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I heard aluminium effects the tone. Then again aluminum maybe not! ;) Joke aside, it isn't really worth the trouble IMHO.

20. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Preeb made his own for the prototype LP, explained the process thoroughly but I can't remember how he did it now. There have been lots of wood covers made in the challenge builds over the years, seems like Nosmo made some nice wood ones.

Anything Oigun makes is amazing, so honestly... whatever he did, do that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.