1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY Power Supply: check me?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Mark the Moose, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I'm thinking I'll take a shot at my own power supply. I found this schematic in an instructable awhile back and saved it. Today I put together a stripboard layout. Figure I'll use a cheap wall-wart transformer or laptop power supply...something in the 12 volt/4-5 amp range. That should give me plenty of juice. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I'm not an electronics engineer, but I'll offer my opinion.
    1) It's not supplying isolated power to your pedals, so it's basically no better than a wall wart daisy chained.
    2) The 780X series are somewhat noisey and require good filtering, and if I was doing a circuit, I'd be using a combination of capacitors for each. Ex: 100nF and 100uF in parallel

Just my thoughts

3. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Little isolated power converter modules are reasonably inexpensive. There would be a little noise, but filtering should be trivial. The alternative isolated PSU method is separate transformers (or separate windings from a single one) with individual regulators.

Something like this, though a little spec sheet reading is advised:
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/isolated-dc-dc-converters/1874589/

Mark the Moose likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.