1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY pedal kits

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gobi_grey, Dec 10, 2018.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to try putting together my own pedal, it'd be a fun project and help me better my soldering and electronic skills/knowledge.
    Which type of pedal and which company do you guys recommend? I see one company charges around $65 for a kit which seems way high. You can buy pretty nice already built pedals for that price or less. I see another company is overseas in Europe so that might be out.
    I'm not huge on fuzz pedals which is what I see most often as a diy pedal. I'd love to do some type of light overdrive. Vox voiced or tweed voiced. My current electronic knowledge is close to zero which is why I want to do this project.

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Lots of sage advise in the Burnt Fingers DIY Effects room of this forum. Vero,kits, breadboard stuff.....

Iago likes this.
  3. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Duh! Thanks. Skipped right over that one, I usually don't wander this far down the forum lol.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Not really sure where to point someone this early in the game who doesn't like fuzz. My advice would be to build a simple fuzz or a clean boost just to get some soldering experience, you can start on Vero or buy a pcb kit, a kit will save time but will limit your options. I always build from scratch on Vero, you just need to find a good supplier that's affordable, I use bitsbox in the UK but not sure about the USA. I would go the Vero route and when you get a handle on the basics of suggest runoffgroove's Britannia circuit.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, we have been stuck down here forever.. whats it like up there these days?

Deebs3 and gobi_grey like this.
  6. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

I'd say ditch the kits. Vero board is easier for novices rather than PCB. Pick 3 pedal circuits and make a spreadsheet of all the parts in the builds. Buy extra components because if this is your first time, you're liable to "screw" something up. Buy parts in bulk from eBay. Look for assortment packs of resistors and electrolytic capacitors.

ukepicker likes this.
  7. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

If you want a kit that will look really good try aion electronics (https://aionelectronics.com/). I have built up some of their pcbs and loved them. The kits they make will give you a pro quality end result for your first build. Their kits are closer to $80 but they come with nicely finished enclosures with graphics, nice stomp switch, quality components.

8. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Start with these. Order stomp switches, pots, etc on Amazon/etc and build. I found glass-fiber (rigid) boxes with neat lids (not overhanging wall-board type like most) electrical boxes at Mendard's a few months back that I picked up for pedal builds. Least expensive project boxes I've found.

Ten Minute Fuzz

Howie's Metal Simplex Fuzz

Passive "Black Ice" ToneFiend

10. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buildyourownclone.com

11. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

12. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

OP, kits are fun.
    Last year, I was interested in trying a pedal that would be a faithful reproduction of the EP3 tape echo pre-amp. After a lot of reading and looking, I stumbled on this small business in the UK ~ they sell on ebay. The pedals they sell are available as kits, or fully assembled. I bought their Fet-O-Plex, which is claimed to be a near exact clone of the EP3 pre-amp.
    All you need is to be able to solder and follow detailed, step by step instructions. Ended up with a good pedal for something around $30 or $40. I may try their treble booster one of these days.

Here’s the link off ebay. GMR Spares.
    I have no affiliation...
    Scroll down to see “sellers other items”.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=254389831862

13. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

General Guitar Gadgets is a very good place to start with. Great kits with instructions that make sense.

nathan5782 likes this.
  14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've put together their Red Llama, Jordan Boss Tone, and Blues Breaker. All pretty easy builds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.