1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY Leslie Speakers

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by bluesintheblood, Jan 25, 2021.

1. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood TDPRI Member

Built a couple 'Leslie's' this past fall after acquiring some spinner units from home organs and built cabs around the unit... first one has a 1 speed on/off switch, second was just completed but yet to have switching done (I'm not the electrical side on this), many organs that have these units are winding up in trash dumps sadly

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah I did one out of a Lowry a few years back. It wan't too hard. It was a small unit.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Nice. You get extra points for the heat register.

Blister and bluesintheblood like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Looks good!

I built one last year from a Leslie rotor taken from a junked Lowry organ.

I wanted infinite speed control--rather that just a fast and a slow setting. I tried using a MOSFET speed controller I slapped together, but the shaded-pole motor didn't like the chopped-up AC sine wave and got a bit warm in operation...it also didn't regulate the speed much at all. So I went with a rheostat designed for fireplace blower fans/bathroom fart fans. Here's a short vid of the rheostat test:

It worked great, so I built a 360-degree cab for it. I ran it from a homebrew 5F1 for a while, but have switched to driving it with a Roland Microcube because it sounds fantastic. It's basically an end table that conceals a rotary speaker.

Here's the build thread on this project:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/leslie-in-a-box-mission-complete.1031934/

RollingBender, Blister and cnlbb like this.
  5. bluesintheblood

Yes I caught yours on youtube, I didn't know about the rheostast switching working tho, and when asking around town here about how to wire it up for switching I was getting 'deer in headlight's stares from everyone, including electricians (I live in Sask, where things of this nature are simply never done round here), of which I am obviously not one, but to be able to vary the speed would be optimal YES. The next one is awaiting switching completion and should have both slow/fast options as it's a 2 speed motor.

I run this as a wet/dry set up currently, the leslie cabinet being powered also homeade 5F1, the other amp is a Princeton Reverb RI

Peegoo likes this.
  6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I had an epiphany years ago (rehearsing in Vegas with Wilson Pickett's sax player) ... in a poorly air-conditioned room, with an old fan keeping the air moving. I put the fan on the floor because I don't like fans blowing on my face. My amp started to sound in-and-out of tune. A very fast oscillation, the speed of the sluggish fan blade.
    When I figured what was happening, I aimed the fan directly at my speaker, and the result was a leslie-like effect. Still use that trick on some recordings with mostly keyboards.

A way to control the fan speed would be cool ... anybody know how to put a variable control on an AC fan motor without cooking it?

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. Steak Knife Sally

Steak Knife Sally TDPRI Member

Helped my folks move out of a converted church and into a condo. One of the treasures that couldn't be thrown out was a leslie rotating speaker. The speaker cone is gone, but the rest of the unit is intact. Love what y'all have done. Do you have a go to to school my self for building something similar. Might be cool to run my five watt tube amp through.

8. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

The speaker is the easiest part to get an aftermarket replacement for. Measure the DC resistance of the existing speaker, buy something close to that size and DCR.

9. Peegoo

I've had players ask why their amp sounds like it has a chorus/flange tone when the amp has no such feature. I reply with, "turn off your ceiling fan."

If it's a large AC fan that's constantly telling you "no," (oscillating fan), this...because of the increased current draw. Set your fan to its highest speed and use the speed controller to regulate the RPMs:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9BLJ7L/?tag=tdpri-20

If it's a small AC fan driven by a shaded-pole motor (pic below), this...you hook it up in series with the motor and AC supply:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6ZGCFF/?tag=tdpri-20

[​IMG]

10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Cool, thanks a bunch.

Peegoo likes this.
  11. Peegoo

Here's how:

[​IMG]

bluesintheblood and ArcticWhite like this.
  12. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I built a two-way Leslie “clone” last summer using those salvaged on-board Leslie units. Here’s the build thread... https://www.tdpri.com/threads/it-followed-me-home-really.1037964/

I made a two speed system where it idles on slow speed and a momentary footswitch kicks it up to high speed as long as you stand on the pedal. I used a couple of fan motor speed controls and a solid state relay to switch high and low.

The horn was 3D printed in 3 parts and then glued together.
    C0466BC1-01AB-4590-A750-4D0D9D898147.jpeg EAB1336D-28E5-41F6-B19D-0FE69AA920E0.jpeg

bluesintheblood and Peegoo like this.
  13. bluesintheblood

May I ask what makes the rheostat NOT cook the motor and a fan switch will cook the motor, what's the difference?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. Peegoo

I'm not an expert on this stuff...but as I understand it, brushless DC motors are multi-phase and a MOSFET/TRIAC-type speed controller will work okay with those.

But a shaded-pole motor is single phase and requires straight voltage control of the speed (torque, actually). A MOSFET/TRIAC-type controller magnetically saturates the laminated stator which results in accumulation of heat.

15. bluesintheblood

Added a matching Head:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.