1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DIY Layout Creator

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by robrob, May 16, 2014.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

After seeing KCStratMan's very nice layout diagrams created with DIY Layout Creator (DIYLC) It's Open Source (free) so I downloaded and installed it. It runs on Windows, Linux and Macs and is pretty easy to use.

I started to lay out a 5e3 and realized someone has probably already done it so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has amp layouts or components they'd like to share. Anything I create I'll post here for sharing.

This is one of KCStratMan's layouts:
    [​IMG]

2. tony hunt

tony hunt Tele-Meister

Thank you. I was not aware of that.
    I draw with AutoCad on PC, in fact that is the only thing I use the PC for and will try the DIYLC on the Mac. Looks useful and simple.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Did a layout for a Tweed type amp but it is single input. Could just share the cathodes and add a 100l resistor and capacitor for the second input. Not designed for a 5E3 chassis though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. robrob

This is what I have so far for the 5e3p Proluxe

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  5. Andyuas

Andyuas TDPRI Member

A little convoluted, but basically a Top Boost channel from a DC30 with 6V6's, Fender style Trem, Baxandall (James) Tone stack and a PPIMV... Trem footswitch and heater CT have not been added... May want to adjust tone stack and tremolo values... Not verified...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

7. robrob

The layout files made in DIYLC can be edited for modification with drag and drop or cut and paste. You can also zoom in and out, specify watt and voltage rating of individual components. Changing the Normal and Bright input channels from parallel to cascade is very easy to document if you have DIYLC file for the amp. When I complete the 5e3p I'll provide a download link for the source file.

8. robrob

9. robrob

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  10. XTRXTR

XTRXTR TDPRI Member

What if I want to use terminal strips? Does DIYLC allow for that? Or even P2P?

I know its an old thread but I just got here lol - using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Never mind just installed diylc_4.8.0_amd64.deb file from the new official repository: https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator/releases

The .deb file is then installed via the Ubuntu Software application

Inside the board>menu there exists many different types of boards including terminal strips.

Thanks for the share 6 years ago @robrob

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  11. robrob

XTRXTR, here's my 5E3 point-to-point layout:

[​IMG]

Nocd and XTRXTR like this.
  12. XTRXTR

XTRXTR TDPRI Member

P2P nice option!

I really want to do two different layouts, one with a turret board and one using terminal strips, I bought twenty feet of spaghetti to cover the leads. Plus, I have too much room so I need to figure a way that maximizes the minimalist approach. Just going by what I think needs to be done next could lead to many terrible wiring mistakes/resolders etc. Looks like a great tool to use.

Nickfl and robrob like this.
  13. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

It is great for point-to-point/terminal strip builds for exactly the reasons you're thinking. I approach it like an amp building simulator where you can practice PTP layout without having to resolder and you can easily add and remove and move around your terminal strip tie points and optimize you lay out that way. Just make sure to enter your actual component size values when you are putting together your layout, as that will help a lot when you actually go to do the build and if you don't you can get some nasty surprises when you realize that something is actually a lot larger than you thought and doesn't fit comfortably between terminal strips you've now permanently installed.

Another approach that you might consider, that I found to be helpful when you have a lot of room inside a chassis but still need to spread things out because of the location of controls or sockets etc, is to do a hybrid point-to-point/board layout where are you make a couple of small eyelet boards for mounting things like your filter caps and plate load and cathode resistors. This can be a good way to minimize the size of your current supply loops and put those larger components on a neat, stable platform, while still leaving the actual signal wiring point-to-point so as to minimize wiring run lengths.

FenderLover, XTRXTR and robrob like this.
  14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I used the DYILC for all kinds of layouts for all my Amps it's great and has a short learning curve. Now that I upgraded to OSX Catalia (iMac) it will not work. It was able to worked with Mohave you did take some work to get it to load and work. Does have it working on OSX Catalina?

XTRXTR and robrob like this.
  15. XTRXTR

XTRXTR TDPRI Member

Before I knew about DIYLC I was already thinking in these type of terms, like hey add a wall and mount the bias filter and the B+ diodes vertically, keep them as far from the preamp as possible. Input verses output wires at 90 degrees...etc. I have an aluminum chassis without a welder, adding another aluminum wall I was thinking lock nuts and arctic silver or something like that to maintain good chassis ground but maybe someone here has a better suggestion.

Either way it is nice to have this tool to completely visualize the end result. Thanks for the suggestions :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.