DIY Home studio Furniture

nedorama

Tele-Holic
I'm no Norm Abram, but in my home studio, the corner with my Tremolux was always kind of a mess; the wooden box to the right of the amp is actually a bookcase with my younger daughter's piano music, which she can't really get to. Now, she's got access to her music, my amp is right there, and I now have a top shelf for more gear. Or a plant which my wife is suggesting...

This was my first time using Kreg pocket screws; wood is 3/4" plywood and 1x2 finishing strips. It's basically 2 boxes screwed on top of each other. Lots of sanding, staining, satin polyurethane, more sanding, etc. Happy with how it came out.

If I were doing it again (and will be on the right side):
  • water-based stain and poly - cleanup is a LOT easier.
  • I don't have a lot of room, but if there was a way to sand and stain before assembly I think it would look better.
  • While this is 18" deep, I could stick with 12" hardwood boards and go for a better grade wood.
  • I need a nice hunk of masonite or plywood as a stable base to cut on; was using an old cabinet door (2x4') and wasn't the best.
  • Would have pocket screwed the face frame together, and then pocket screwed it to the carcass.
  • Would have made it slightly narrower, as 4' is pretty wide and there's a lot of negative space on either side of the amp.

For the right side, it's about elevating a Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr and a Princeton Reverb, but also adding 8-10 units of rack space underneath the Princeton.

At least now I have the tools for it - thankful my old Dewalt cordless drill battery died as I ended up getting a Ryobi drill, nailer, circular saw and the Kreg cross-cut jig. May get their orbital sander next for the next one...

Attachments

• Amp Organization.jpg
    Amp Organization.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 103

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Nice. I like the look of the Argosy desks but the price isn't happening. And I'm not even sure if they're as functional as they look. (For one thing I don't think having a midi keyboard front and center is ideal). And while they might be awesome with a console in the center, I'm not sure it's similarly ideal for a PC/monitor/control surface setup.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Nice. I like the look of the Argosy desks but the price isn't happening. And I'm not even sure if they're as functional as they look. (For one thing I don't think having a midi keyboard front and center is ideal). And while they might be awesome with a console in the center, I'm not sure it's similarly ideal for a PC/monitor/control surface setup.
it all depends on function over form , argosy designs have a ton of detail worked out for you in advance , as for the midi keyboard on the console is a good Idea for when you are addressing the daw and through midi can control many functions of the studio .

this is my design and its perfect for me I built this for about 300.00 complete and the function is totally expandible.

I use Logic as a daw because through the Daw environment I can control and script all midi functions of all my midi gear, truely a remarkable thing.
there are 5 mac towers in operation here and one power mac I use for device editors

IMG_0020.JPG

this guitar rack is also under midi control to the daw

P1012454.JPG

as well as the synth system
so it all gets back to function

P1010013.JPG

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Egads... I don't have a ton of synth stuff... JV880, Multipad. Keys aren't my strength either (Actually have a Yamaha G50 in the rack I hope to get integrated someday). Does the keyboard at the desk slide away, or is this used for nothing but music? I have a QX25 and a Q49 - I'd sort of envisioned stashing the Q49 over at the drum kit (I have a pedal and snare pad at the multipad, and can swap out the pad for a real snare in a few seconds) - just to have transport controls and a few keys over there.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Egads... I don't have a ton of synth stuff... JV880, Multipad. Keys aren't my strength either (Actually have a Yamaha G50 in the rack I hope to get integrated someday). Does the keyboard at the desk slide away, or is this used for nothing but music? I have a QX25 and a Q49 - I'd sort of envisioned stashing the Q49 over at the drum kit (I have a pedal and snare pad at the multipad, and can swap out the pad for a real snare in a few seconds) - just to have transport controls and a few keys over there.
everything folds up out of the way nice and neat , even the synth rack the shelves are retractable
I use a kurzweil K2000at the console and Korg M50 with the synths

how do you like the JV880? I have one as well also a D110 plus a few other sound modules that I plan to incorporate into the rack I like the brain for the alesis DM5 as it gives me separate trigger ins for 16 pads that i can use with the sequencer trigger outs ( i've also have 8 pads if I want to go there )

IMG_0013.JPG

Last edited:

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I need learn it better. I got it looking for a hardware module to cover basic sounds (and I figured 90's was good enough since they quit making good music about then). A rompler or VST might have been better but they're sort of a pain (but doable) in Linux. I literally need like about 4 B3 sounds, about two Rhodes, an acoustic piano, but lots of killer horns. The horns have been disappointing so far, but it might just be the time invested so far.

Not counting a power strip and crossover (which could change if I ever add a JBL LSR10 sub) i basically have three spaces of audio and three of midi. (Patch bay, RX1602 line mixer, Behringer UMC1820 interface on the audio side. Yamaha g50, AMT8 midi patch bay/interface, and the JV880. ) An X-touch, and my computer monitors are stacked vertically.

I'll have to think about where the X-touch and keys should go. I'm trying to avoid a super deep desk (currently it's 3ft deep and kinda crazy)

Last edited: