DIY guitar cable question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dave_11, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Dave_11

Dave_11 Tele-Meister

I previously asked for guitar cable recommendations and several people suggested making my own, so that's what I'm doing.

I bought some lengths of these cables:
    https://www.markertek.com/product/gs-6-bk/canare-gs-6-guitar-instrument-cable-per-foot-black
    https://www.markertek.com/product/2...-transmission-pro-guitar-cable-black-per-foot

And I bought some of these connectors:
    https://www.markertek.com/product/s...tar-plug-speaker-connector-solder-cable-mount

I'm all set to start soldering, but the cable diameters are a fair amount smaller than the jack cover holes. What do people usually do to make up the difference? Rubber boots? Heat shrink tubing? Duct tape? Caulk?

Deeve likes this.
  2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted

Heat shrink tubing is your friend. It provides some strain relief, as well. You can use a hot air gun or similar to shrink it. Just remember to put the two pieces of it (one for each end) on before you solder the second connector on(!).

Also kapton tape can be good if you're concerned about the two conductors and their soldered connections possibly shorting.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Two sets of shrink-wrap on mine (Mogami bulk) The skinny set over a connector @ the bare wires - the fatty goes around the barrel.

Go nuts w/ your options - just for laughs, I made (and still have) a 50 footer, as well as the 20s I use more often.
    Also, get a right-angle plug for one side.
    Peace - Deeve

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. Dave_11

Dave_11 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I'll check out some heat shrink tubing. The two sets approach sounds like a good idea.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I haven't bought a cable since the 70's. I have always made my own. My recommendation is sommer cable.https://usashop.sommercable.com/en/...Instrumentenkabel-SC-Spirit-XXL-300-0071.html Best i ever used. And i'll tell you the #1 reason....no other cable kinks less/lays flat. It's great in all ways but thats one thin no other cable does as well. It's cheap and great. they also make great silent ends called HICON that work better than and are more reliable than nuitrik. https://usashop.sommercable.com/en/Connectors/Jack/Klinke-6-3mm-NOISEFREE-2-pol-HI-J63MA14.html Best stuff IMO. All i use anymore. Canare, mogami....they don't compare IMO.

SRHmusic, Buzzgrowl and Deeve like this.
  6. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

On the GS-6. there is a dielectric sheath, under the braided shielding that also needs to be cut back, or it will short out the hot wire. It's black and paper thin, just trim it so that the clear insulation on the hot wire is showing.

SRHmusic likes this.
  7. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Don't forget to slip the plug cover onto the cable before soldering the plug .... especially when doing the 2nd plug. (And ... slip it on the right way around.)

Why do I know this, you may ask?

8. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

The best sounding guitar cable I ever made was with high quality stranded core video coax cable. Unfortunately it was a little too stiff to be practical.
    Low capacitance and virtually no triboelectric noise.

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Look here.

Skip the Tekflex (or any other braided covering). That stuff is crap and makes the cable stiff; it causes standing loops up on the floor and it becomes a tripping hazard. It also picks up dirt, spilled beer and BBQ sauce, and starts to look pretty ratty in no time. It really does nothing to protect the cable, despite what the cable manufacturers would have you believe. A plain black cable is a cinch to clean by pulling it through a dampened shop towel and it will look good as new.

I use Belden low-noise rubber jacketed instrument cable. It's softer than the Mogami cable, just as tough, and lasts for years. I also prefer all-metal Switchcraft plugs.

Blue Bill likes this.
  10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use one or two pieces of heat shrink tubing on the wire, that go into the connector, over the solder joint, then another, larger diameter piece, that goes over the outside of the plug, that covers everything and provides more strain relief.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.