DIY fabric covering

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
So I finally broke down and bought the one power tool most guys never get into. The sewing machine. And while cabinet covering usually isn't sewn (but piping is - and I had a cool idea for a loud floral piping on an otherwise all solid amp. Piping is so small that it could add a nice splash without overpowering or getting too flashy. )

So I got to looking at some prints while shopping for another project and thought that could be really cool. Has anyone veered off the tolex/tweed pat and used something else? Does fabric weight matter? I'm thinking about anything is going to be similar. Ie doesn't need to be super heavy canvas - you're going to have to baby it.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire

tomasz

Tele-Holic
You are not alone!;)

IMG_20220520_090721_Bokeh-01.jpeg

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
V0fq9i8.jpg

1948 Necchi BU. I bought it in a ratty cabinet for $25 intended for a 60's vintage Japanese Nelco I had bought and never done anything with. Then I discovered the Necchi was probably the first actually considered cool by collectors vintage item I've ever owned. Definitely cooler than the Nelco.

Last edited:

Mongo Park

Tele-Afflicted
As an aside I have an amp building friend who got into repairing old sewing machines. Definitely a eclectic Covid hobby. He resin casts some of the nylon parts that you can not buy anymore.
So rock on and show us some creative amp covering.

SerpentRuss

Tele-Holic
When I was in middle school in the mid '70s the girls all had home economics and the boys had wood/metal shop. For about 6 weeks every year we traded places and I learned to use a sewing machine and was pretty good at it. Kids in middle school now would never be allowed to use a wood lathe, but the girls all made baseball bats and we made work aprons, baked cakes, and generally made our teacher's hair turn gray.

In college, the guys I was playing with at the time decided to rent a house in town so we could live together and rehearse. The house did not come with window treatments of any kind. I borrowed a sewing machine from one of my band-mate's girlfriends and made rudimentary curtains for all the rooms. We had a blast picking out the printed fabric. My room was some ghastly green paisley pattern.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I'm kicking over ideas now. I had been planning on a white JMP2204S/2021CX. But then I ran across the piping foot and this about the same time.
05e0f89ee096ea802d04e43d981f8b2d.jpg

Now I have multiple ideas that don't all go together. That print in piping against all back could be just a hint of pop without being a giant floral thing. Or maybe a grille against solid tolex. Or I dunno. Sometimes I wish I could throttle the ideas back a bit.

I still kinda like the idea of a "did I see that" tiny splash against an a solid loud in yer face rock n roll machine.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
It varnished over did not muck up the colors I think a whole amp with that fabric would be cool. I also have a micky mouse sewing machine, brother has a real one if I need to get serious.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Heavy linen fabric was originally used on amplifiers because it was the most durable cover material available for small wooden boxes that got frequently dragged around (luggage).

Woven fabric does become darker and partially transparent by coating it with any clear finish. It's the nature of the beast, and there's no way to avoid that problem.

Len058

Tele-Meister
I've also been thinking about covering a cab with fabric. Just lacquer it, to keep it nice. I wouldn't make my own piping although I can.

IMG_20180903_161843.jpg

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
l saved the distressed leather from our 25 year old couches when we replaced them. I always thought that would look cool on my builds but rattle cans are much easier. one day I’ll cover head and cab with it

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I wish I had a pic…
A former aquaintance lost through the years had enough cabinets that he covered in burlap & sprayed with lacquer to outfit his entire band. It was a pretty cool look onstage.

chas.wahl

Tele-Meister
Just as a point of reference: does anyone know the weight spec (oz/sq yd or g/m^2) of the original tweed fabric used on Fender Tweed amps?

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
l saved the distressed leather from our 25 year old couches when we replaced them. I always thought that would look cool on my builds but rattle cans are much easier. one day I’ll cover head and cab with it
I’ve done this and I found leather actually much easier to work with than traditional covering. It stretches and can be compressed to hide a variety of cutting errors. After much experimentation, I found that plain wood glue is the best adhesive for applying leather to a cabinet.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
An industrial Pfaff. Nice. I had to stop looking at video of walking foot machines or I was going to drop $500 on a LSZ-1 clone. I'm still on the lookout for a screaming deal WF. But man it's so hypnotic to watch that thing work.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Just as a point of reference: does anyone know the weight spec (oz/sq yd or g/m^2) of the original tweed fabric used on Fender Tweed amps?
That would be nice to know, not that we could find it anyway though. Modern stuff is way too coarse and thick. I love the stuff on these old suitcases , smooth and shiny: